Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: String walking

  • Simon Hondy
    Message 1 of 92 , Jan 1, 2001
      With all this about split finger draws, does that mean a two under draw
      style is wrong? I have always used two fingers under as my draw style. It
      works for me, no pinching, and what I am used to.

      Simon Hondy

      > Every period woodcut, painting, and sketch I have seen of European War,
      > Archery practice or other activities showing archery used in a common way
      > (i.e., hunting) portrays either a "one over, one under" or "one over, two
      > under" style of draw. The "anchor point" (the place where you draw to)
      may
      > change but I have yet to see any archer using a "three finger under"
      > (stingwalking) style of draw. Even the archers portrayed on the Bayeux
      > tapestry (what I have seen of it), use a "one over, one under" or "one
      over,
      > two under" draw.
      > Now you could argue that it was easier to draw/paint/carve/embroider this
      > way. Having attempted several of these activities using period styles, I
      > find it highly unlikely.
      > I have used both styles of draw. I understand them both. But honestly I
      > cannot delude myself into believing that "stringwalking" is a period
      practice.
      > Distance marks on limbs and distance cords, yes, but not stringwalking.
      >
      > Just my humble opinion.
      >
      > HL Gruffydd, DWS
      > Artemisia
      >
      > Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
      > http://www.MedievalMart.com/

    • Jack Bradley
      Message 92 of 92 , Jan 3, 2001
        One more thought on the subject.
        I've never seen anyone string walk with out snap nocks As the arrow
        must stay on the string with out fingers to hold it. I've tried to make
        self nocked arrows that have a snapnock design but they split after 2 or 3
        shoots to much outward pressure I don't think our ancestors had the time to
        waste on fitting arrows to strings
        So to document string walking all you need to do is find plastic snapnocks
        with the cell phones and MREs
        The other Ragnar