Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: String walking

  • Alberic
    Message 1 of 92 , Jan 1, 2001
      Wayne Hamberg wrote:
      <snip>
      > Based upon the existing documentation one could prove based upon the
      > perponderance of the evidence that "String Walking" was at least
      > known about and mostly likely extensively tried.
      <Snip>

      Ok, "one could prove...". So prove it.

      As for the rest of your post, attempting to lay the onus of proof on the
      naysayers, we should all know by this point that it's impossible to
      prove a negative. Thus the responsibility is yours to prove that it
      *did* happen, rather than theirs to prove that it didn't. Not just
      "coulda, mighta, maybe", but documentably *did*. Until and unless you
      do so, there is no point continuing this argument. Absent proof, it is
      nothing more than a shouting match.
      In the real world, the assumption is that a thing was *not* done until
      and unless proof can be found that it was. Anecdotes about 8 year old
      modern children and their inventiveness, while interesting, have
      absolutely no bearing on the issue.
      Proof consists of primary documentary evidence stating that something
      was done in period, period artwork showing it being done, or
      archaeological or physical evidence that show the physical traces of it
      being done. Absent any of that, the best you can do is offer a theory,
      and attempt to bolster the theory with circumstantial evidence. So far,
      I've not seen anything much along the way of *any* evidence. You said
      you could prove it. Please do so.

      Alberic.
    • Jack Bradley
      Message 92 of 92 , Jan 3, 2001
        One more thought on the subject.
        I've never seen anyone string walk with out snap nocks As the arrow
        must stay on the string with out fingers to hold it. I've tried to make
        self nocked arrows that have a snapnock design but they split after 2 or 3
        shoots to much outward pressure I don't think our ancestors had the time to
        waste on fitting arrows to strings
        So to document string walking all you need to do is find plastic snapnocks
        with the cell phones and MREs
        The other Ragnar