Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: String walking

  • Bob & Nancy Upson
    Message 1 of 92 , Jan 1, 2001
      > "String Walking" was banned because a few individuals were
      > successfully using the techinique with modern equipment and for no

      What evidence so you have to support this claim? (Personally, I
      also have theories about why string walking was banned in specific
      areas -- it's not as if it's banned altogether -- but I don't presume to
      state my theories as fact.)

      > Based upon the existing documentation one could prove based upon the
      > perponderance of the evidence that "String Walking" was at least known
      > about and mostly likely extensively tried.

      What evidence? You've mentioned documentation extensively but
      you have yet to provide a single citation for *any* documentation
      that string walking existed in period or, for that matter, any
      evidence even *suggesting* that it did.

      > People in periods tried
      > did massive experimentation and used numerous and varying techniques.

      Citation?

      > If you got a dozen dukes on a jury and had experienced archers
      > demonstrate a dozen techniques and had these dukes decide what was or
      > wasn't period maybe a couple might say "String Walking".

      And this is supposed to prove something? What -- because it
      certainly does nothing to prove string walking was a period
      technique.

      > Now the original statement is that "String Walking" is not period.
      > This is the statement that you must prove, not me. It's the original

      It cannot be proven that string walking was *not* period. It is up to
      you to prove that is was if you think it is important to do so. You've
      had weeks and haven't presented a shred of evidence. If you can't
      come up with anything, please drop the subject.

      > statement and if you are going to support such a statement, you must
      > be prepared to back it up. Don't make me do your homework for you.
      > Come on get off your A** and show that the technology of the day would
      > not permit the technique or that they would have never experimented
      > with such an idea. (Two things that you can't do).

      How many times does it have to be stated that it is impossible to
      prove that something didn't exist?

      Support your claim that string walking was period or let it go.

      Macsen
    • Jack Bradley
      Message 92 of 92 , Jan 3, 2001
        One more thought on the subject.
        I've never seen anyone string walk with out snap nocks As the arrow
        must stay on the string with out fingers to hold it. I've tried to make
        self nocked arrows that have a snapnock design but they split after 2 or 3
        shoots to much outward pressure I don't think our ancestors had the time to
        waste on fitting arrows to strings
        So to document string walking all you need to do is find plastic snapnocks
        with the cell phones and MREs
        The other Ragnar