Re: String walking

  • Wayne Hamberg
    Message 1 of 92 , Jan 1, 2001
      > Wrong!! The calim is that ther is no evidence that it IS period and
      > therefore to be assumed not period and anyone who claims otherwise
      > must proove it. Basically, what you are arguing is that since we
      > have no evidence that machine guns didn't exist in period, we must
      > allow them. Now plainly, if you have evidence that it is period,
      >put up or shut up.
      > In service to the dream,
      > Carolus von Eulenhorst

      Carolus,

      "String Walking" was banned because a few individuals were
      successfully using the techinique with modern equipment and for no
      other reason. The claim that it isn't period was added as an after
      thought as it was found that there was no existing documentation to
      support the practice.

      Based upon the existing documentation one could prove based upon the
      perponderance of the evidence that "String Walking" was at least
      known about and mostly likely extensively tried. People in periods
      tried did massive experimentation and used numerous and varying
      techniques. If you got a dozen dukes on a jury and had experienced
      archers demonstrate a dozen techniques and had these dukes decide
      what was or wasn't period maybe a couple might say "String Walking".

      Now the original statement is that "String Walking" is not period.
      This is the statement that you must prove, not me. It's the original
      statement and if you are going to support such a statement, you must
      be prepared to back it up. Don't make me do your homework for you.
      Come on get off your A** and show that the technology of the day
      would not permit the technique or that they would have never
      experimented with such an idea. (Two things that you can't do).

      Michael the Loud
    • Jack Bradley
      Message 92 of 92 , Jan 3, 2001
        One more thought on the subject.
        I've never seen anyone string walk with out snap nocks As the arrow
        must stay on the string with out fingers to hold it. I've tried to make
        self nocked arrows that have a snapnock design but they split after 2 or 3
        shoots to much outward pressure I don't think our ancestors had the time to
        waste on fitting arrows to strings
        So to document string walking all you need to do is find plastic snapnocks
        with the cell phones and MREs
        The other Ragnar