Re: Pennsic CA

  • Ian Gourdon
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2001
      >Pennsic, by virtue of being a multi-kingdom event, often has special
      >autorization categories unique to the event. It's probable that there
      >will be some sort of light combat archer scenario(s) at Pennsic,
      >but the details may well not have been negotiated yet. (I believe
      >the Mid Realm does light combat archery -- chances are any light rules
      >for Pennsic will be very close to Mid rules.)
      > > Macsen

      This past Pennsic, the basic rule was that -your- kingdom rules would
      apply, more or less, for you. That should continue if your kingdom uses
      heavy CA.
      Equipment standards for CA weapons were set for the battle based on East
      and Middle standards for CA.
      Both kingdoms require an authorization for CA within the heavy weapons
      rules. The Midrealm allowed CA authorizations without a weapon and
      shield authorization. That should continue.
      There were last minute - battlefield inspections of weapons and arrows,
      but some apparently did not get inspected, from what I've heard here.
      That won't happen again. The varied standards from kingdom to kingdom on
      safe arrows probably affected it some, and not all CA understood that
      there were specific weapons inspections.
      I understand some attempt was made to allow CA lights to play from other
      kingdoms, but it apparently didn't work out -very- well, though it seems
      it did happen in a few cases, nor did the attempt to allow non
      authorized CA archers to play. The Midrealm and East Kings did try to
      put together such a non spec (no authorization - ultra light - non
      contact) option, but the SCA Marshal vetoed it, if I understood the
      situation correctly. Easy to see why there was such a deal of confusion.
      This years rules are not set, as far as I know, but it would be
      reasonable to expect some tightening or clarifying of the standards,
      possibly to applicable East/Midrealm rules. It would be nice to think
      that there will be at least one battle that will include light CA, but
      neither of the core negotiating Kingdoms will necessarily know how to
      put the light rules into place. Perhaps timely (January) imput to their
      Highnesses East and Middle from an Archer General or Earl Marshal from a
      Kingdom who does this, would be in order...
      Current testing of CA arrow safety may affect the final outcome on arrow
      point standards, but I wouldn't hold my breath for this Pennsic, if
      you're not shooting Baldars or the equivalent.
      Just my opinion.
      Ian Gourdon - Midrealm
    • Shurgin,Gary
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
        Hey Ian,
        Since the Cooper's are very seriously considering on planning a 3-sided fort
        on top of Mt. Eislinn, wouldn't the defenders on the parapets be a perfect
        spot for light archers?
        BTW, during the Abbey battle, I had fun ispecting the arrows and 'others'
        that were brought in. We separated them into in and out piles. Out-those
        that had been inspected, and were still good to be re-used. There comes to
        mind one person who made many weapons, but after just one shot (or maybe
        two), the balista's, and everything else they made came apart. These we
        took off the field of play completely, so as not to confuse any of the
        fighters (who can re-supply the combat archer) or the ca's who were looking
        for more ammo.

        Roewynne

      • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2001
          >Hey Ian,
          >Since the Cooper's are very seriously considering on planning a 3-sided fort
          >on top of Mt. Eislinn, wouldn't the defenders on the parapets be a perfect
          >spot for light archers?

          Ok, this is the first I have ever heard of this. Where has this rumor
          started? Would be awfully cool. However ...

          If they did so ... where would they move target archery to? As it would be
          right in the way of the battle ...

          Siegfried

          (PS. Plus that is an AWFULLY steep hill to have an entire army on safely
          ... I'm just imagining the first person at the top who dies defensively,
          starts rolling, and watching the rest of the army go out like
          dominoes. Would be fun to watch, but not to be part of *grin*)
        • Hugh Prescott
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2001