Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: String walking

  • Bob & Nancy Upson
    Message 1 of 92 , Dec 26, 2000
      > > As has been pointed out repeatedly, it is logically impossible to
      > > prove that something doesn't exist. The burden of proof lies in
      > > proving that the string walking technique *was* used in period. To
      > > date, nobody has posted one credible source proving that it was.
      >
      > WRONG!!!!
      >
      > Many technique were experimented with and this is perfectly
      > documented in the history of warfare. We aren't talking about

      Really? Please provide a citation that string walking was used in
      period. If it was posted earlier I seem to have missed it and I'm
      sure many of us would like to read it.

      > something that is a stretch of the imagination but a resomable
      > technique. To argue that this wan't done is down right stupid,
      > ignorant and definitely the act of a the narrow minded.

      Did I claim it wasn't done? I don't seem to recall doing so.

      > "String Walking" could of easily been done as I was given a cheap

      "Could Have Happened" is not the same as "Is Documented." The
      former is speculation, the latter is fact.

      > improper and inferior. Gee, I never knew that at the age of 8 or 9 I
      > developed a technique that was never thought of or tried during the
      > entire Middle Ages.

      Or, quite possibly, was discovered by 8 or 9 year olds in the Middle
      Ages as well but considered improper and inferior then as well?

      Macsen
    • Jack Bradley
      Message 92 of 92 , Jan 3, 2001
        One more thought on the subject.
        I've never seen anyone string walk with out snap nocks As the arrow
        must stay on the string with out fingers to hold it. I've tried to make
        self nocked arrows that have a snapnock design but they split after 2 or 3
        shoots to much outward pressure I don't think our ancestors had the time to
        waste on fitting arrows to strings
        So to document string walking all you need to do is find plastic snapnocks
        with the cell phones and MREs
        The other Ragnar