Cease fire!

  • Alberic
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30, 1999
      Greetings:

      Ok folks, I detect a gross misunderstanding that shows signs of brewing
      into a flame-war. To whit: the handicapped thread.

      To whomever "Rlongbow@..." is: Near as I remember without rereading
      all the handicapped thread, the beginnings of it were more of a
      "humm...what can we do to make their lives a little easier, so that they
      have more fun??" Nobody was talking about rewriting rules, moving
      battlefields or any of the other massive undertakings you fear. In
      point of fact, all of the really over the top things have been coming
      strictly from you. The thread as originally posited was also a
      year-round discussion, not strictly a Pennsic thing, thus the war-point
      rules are irrelevant. Also, to the best of my memory, nobody proposed,
      or even suggested bending range safety standards in aid of handicapped
      archers. As for spotters, I've never seen it done, and am frankly
      having a hard time figuring out how it'd work for anybody but a zen
      master, but so long as they can do it safely, more power to 'em. As far
      as spanning assistants for crossbows, explain to me how this is unsafe?
      I have several large (+250#) bows, and they take a while to span. I
      have on occasion been known to draft a few trusted friends to be my
      If there's nothing particularly unsafe about doing it with high-poundage
      bows that weigh an awkward ton, why then does it become dangerous with
      little toy bows? (Don't appeal to the almighty rules, explain to me why
      *you* believe this to be true.)

      Sorry, I intended this to be a conciliatory "cease fire" message, and
      I've been verging into flame-bait myself, for which I apologize.

      The point of the original discussion was to try to think of ways to help
      our friends have more fun, not to drag lawyers, ADA & Cement contractors
      into it.
      Essentially, the SCA is what we all do to *have fun*. If it stops being
      fun, it'll stop happening, and that would be "bad" (tm).

      I'm frankly not sure where you got the idea that anyone was proposing
      any of the wild things you seem to be worried about, much less
      threatening to sue if they didn't come to pass. We were simply mulling
      over a few ideas among ourselves to try to make everyone's life a little
      easier. Since the subject so obviously concerns you, I'm sure you must
      have some constructive comments to add to the discussion.

      Cheers-
      Alberic
    • leigh
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 30, 1999
        At 07:09 PM 8/30/99 -0700, Alberic <alberic@...> wrote:
        >The point of the original discussion was to try to think of ways to help
        >our friends have more fun, not to drag lawyers, ADA & Cement contractors
        >into it.
        >Essentially, the SCA is what we all do to *have fun*. If it stops being
        >fun, it'll stop happening, and that would be "bad" (tm).

        And, quite frankly, there are some places where archery participation is so
        limited that we would do darn near anything to get more folks out shooting.
        Making archery more accessible to the handicapped isn't just a courteous
        thing to do; it's also a lot more practical than many things we've already
        done locally (most of which have completely failed at raising interest from
        other segments of the SCA population).

        -- della
      • AMENSEYA@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 31, 1999
          Della,

          THANK YOU!

          YIS

          May your arrows fly swiftly and may they hit their target firmly...
          Regards,
          Lady Ayesha of the Flowing Sands
        • Rlongbow@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 1, 1999
            don't worry about the flames, they are all directed solely toward me.
            unfortunately, those who are continueing this thread seem to have
            omitted the original post. Making me seem the author of " handicapped people
            should not be allowed to participate in archery" or some such bull.
            I never said handicapped archers should not shoot, I said ANY UNSAFE
            ARCHER should not shoot.
            I said the rules prohibit spotters or aid DURING WARPOINT AT PENNSIC,
            read the Pennsic handbook, there is nothing mentioned about exceptions; at
            least nothing near where it says no spotters. I have noticed that some people
            try to get away with a lot in archery unless it's specifically
            prohibited.(flame tinder here)
            the original thread (which was omitted ) was "how to make Pennsic
            archery more accessible to the handicapped. and the omitted proposals were
            moving the archery field , providing a transport service or "doing something"
            to make the field more wheelchair accessible (paved path?).
          • AMENSEYA@aol.com