Period releases

  • William Arwemakere
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 17, 2000
      Greetings all,

      I am hoping to find a reference to period string releases. Yes, glove,
      finger tab and thumb ring I know. I have heard that there is a period
      version of the modern string type mechanical release. A loop of cord
      (leather?) attached to a handle (stick?) goes 'round the string and is held
      by the thumb. Release the cord, shoot the arrow.

      Has anyone else heard of such a beast?

      William Arwemakere
      Arcarius to HE Gerhard Kendall
      Lions Gate
      An Tir

    • Ken and Jenn
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 17, 2000
        I have not seen a period example of this type of release (wooden
        block with a string loop held down with the thumb), but have
        encountered it on the competition field ... last time I saw one
        was 17 years ago but weirdly enough I remember its design clearly.

        Nicetas

        At 07:55 PM 12/17/00 -0800, you wrote:
        >Greetings all,
        >
        >I am hoping to find a reference to period string releases. Yes, glove,
        >finger tab and thumb ring I know. I have heard that there is a period
        >version of the modern string type mechanical release. A loop of cord
        >(leather?) attached to a handle (stick?) goes 'round the string and is held
        >by the thumb. Release the cord, shoot the arrow.
        >
        >Has anyone else heard of such a beast?
        >
        >William Arwemakere
        >Arcarius to HE Gerhard Kendall
        >Lions Gate
        >An Tir

        >Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
        >http://www.MedievalMart.com/

      • Jean-Paul Blaquiere
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 17, 2000
          > On Dec 17, Ken and Jenn scratched in indelible ink :

          > I have not seen a period example of this type of release (wooden
          > block with a string loop held down with the thumb), but have
          > encountered it on the competition field ... last time I saw one
          > was 17 years ago but weirdly enough I remember its design clearly.

          any chance of uploading a quick sketch or similar?

          /jp... interested
          --
          Jean-Paul Blaquière || Avatar of Computational
          japester@... || Thaumaturgy
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 17, 2000
            I've never seen any documentation for any release except the thumb ring.
            If someone has some documentation on one I'd like to know about it. In
            the meantime I guess its another one of those "we can't prove it wasn't
            done so we can use it, right?" issues. Not!!
            In service to the dream,
            Carolus von Eulenhorst

            On Sun, 17 Dec 2000 19:55:58 -0800 "William Arwemakere"
            <arwemakere@...> writes:
            >Greetings all,
            >
            >I am hoping to find a reference to period string releases. Yes, glove,
            >finger tab and thumb ring I know. I have heard that there is a period
            >version of the modern string type mechanical release. A loop of cord
            >(leather?) attached to a handle (stick?) goes 'round the string and is
            >held
            >by the thumb. Release the cord, shoot the arrow.
            >
            >Has anyone else heard of such a beast?
            >
            >William Arwemakere
            >Arcarius to HE Gerhard Kendall
            >Lions Gate
            >An Tir

            GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
          • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 18, 2000
              This type of release is a common target shooter's release( purely 20th
              century). I have seen it many times used on the field by friends who are
              compound target shooters in the NFAA. It is described and pictured in
              "The Archer's Bible" by Fred Bear as well as in many other modern
              archery books. It somewhat resembles a release mechanism on a "period "
              ballista.
              In all of my reading of period literature on archery, I have never come
              across a mention of anything similiar to it used with a handbow. I'm
              curious about where the original questioner may have thought they'd
              heard of it used in period.
              -Geoffrei

            • Ken and Jenn
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 19, 2000
                It's a bit early, but there have been several finds of
                Etruscan bronze "bow-pullers" they were made of a
                rectangular piece of metal, rounded at the corners with
                a single finger sized hole at each end. In the center of
                the plate are three pins protruding that could have been
                used to pull the bow (see crude diagram).

                <<<< Crude Diagram >>>>

                . Pin Pin .
                . Finger Finger .
                . Hole Hole .
                . Pin .

                <<<< End of Crude Diagram >>>>

                Exactly how such a device would be used or if it actually
                was a "bow-puller" was not know to archaeologists at the
                time my reference was printed.

                Nicetas

                Reference: The Grey Goose Wing by E.G. Heath
                1st American edition printed in 1972
                Publisher: New York Graphic Society Greenwich, Connecticut
                ISBN: 8212-0449-1