Re: Crossbow specific competition

  • psobaka@xxxx.xxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 30, 1999
      I like this and will start trying it to see what it is like.
      >If you wanted to stay with a 60 cm face, I might suggest a full 10-9-8
      >scoring here also, with the x ring scored as 12. This scoring puts a very
      >high premium on hitting dead center, which I believe is to the good.
      >
      >Taking them in order:
      > Scored 10-9-8, either with x's as 12 or used as tiebreakers.
      > Average of best 2 or best 3.
      > I will run it anytime I hold a practice.
      > Keep the shooter responsible for submission, with marshall's name.
      > As you and Iolo are sponsoring it, pick somebody who's willing.
      >
      >Additional points:
      > Four ends makes possibles less likely, as does requiring two standing
      >ends.
      > All ends should be shot with bows held only in the hands, not rested on
      >benches or the ground. This would not preclude resting elbows on knees for
      >seated shooting or elbows on the ground for prone shooting. Offhand could
      >allow or disallow resting the elbow, as desired.
      > All four ends should be shot contiguously, and only after declaration.
      > Scores could be circulated monthly via this list, and the Rialto.
      > Run one division in the first year, then see whether there is enough
      >interest to warrant splitting out barebow/period/etc.
      > Each end should have a 3 minute time limit, to keep the local marshalls
      >sane.

      Plachoya Sobaka a humble archer in Ravens Fort, Kingdom of Ansteorra
    • Eli White
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 31, 1999
        I really like this proposed solution ... It sounds like alot of fun. Just
        to point out some parts that I like:

        a) I like the idea of having two categories - 'Period/No Sights/No rifle
        Stocks/No Pistol Grips' and a 'anything goes' category. At least to start
        out. If nothing else it will actually give us all a good idea as to the
        difference ... Perhaps we won't see any, and we can later eliminate the
        categories, or we might see a major difference and thus keep the categories
        different.

        b) I like the idea of keeping track of prod weight, draw length, bolt
        length, fletch style (2,3,4), and maybe other statistics - would just be
        fun to see all these, and to see if perhaps the top 10 in each category
        happens to have similar characteristics ...

        c) I like the idea of having two ends standing, two ends choice - makes
        sure that you can use the bow in any method.

        d) I also like the idea of just having it be 4 ends at 40 ... this allows
        the crossbowmen(people) to do this competition while others are just
        practicing, and to not have to tie up time. When people are just
        practicing from the 40, you can get the competition in.

        Siegfried

        >Taking them in order:
        > Scored 10-9-8, either with x's as 12 or used as tiebreakers.
        > Average of best 2 or best 3.
        > I will run it anytime I hold a practice.
        > Keep the shooter responsible for submission, with marshall's name.
        > As you and Iolo are sponsoring it, pick somebody who's willing.
        >
        >Additional points:
        > Four ends makes possibles less likely, as does requiring two standing
        > ends.
        > All ends should be shot with bows held only in the hands, not rested
        > on benches or the ground. This would not preclude resting elbows on
        > knees for seated shooting or elbows on the ground for prone
        > shooting. Offhand could allow or disallow resting the elbow, as desired.
        > All four ends should be shot contiguously, and only after declaration.
        > Scores could be circulated monthly via this list, and the Rialto.
        > Run one division in the first year, then see whether there is enough
        > interest to warrant splitting out barebow/period/etc.
        > Each end should have a 3 minute time limit, to keep the local
        > marshalls sane.

        Minister of Misinformation (Chronicler & Web Minister)
        http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org
      • James Koch
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 14, 1999
          I have finally read over the suggestions for the crossbow specific shoot.
          It occurred to me that perhaps this period archery company which is
          supposedly forming might be interested in sponsoring such a competition. I
          believe I can provide the annual prize which I propose to be a golden
          popinjay to be worn on a chain around the winner's neck. This is quite
          appropriate. Any takers? Jim Koch
          James Koch
        • Robert L Brunnemer
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 22, 1999
            Hallo!!!

            Well I really like the idea of the archery company sponsoring the
            crossbow shoot, but really as far as that goes really things like that
            should wait until it is a real company, and not just a theoretical one.
            :-) Good idea though!!!

            Have a nice day!!!
            Robert
            Hugewheels@...