Re: Wheelchair range access at Pennsic

  • Bob & Nancy Upson
    Message 1 of 39 , Aug 30, 1999
      > for someone who reads through everything, you seem to have missed my point
      > entirely.
      >
      > I said that the rules prohibit spotters ...the rules... not my rules

      And I pointed out that there are provisions for exceptions built into
      those rules. Apparently you aren't familiar with *all* of the rules --
      just the ones you find convenient.

      > what do you really want? the disabled services act to demand we have a
      > paved road to each of the archery gates? paved roads at Pennsice to make
      > wheelchair bound people have more access to everything at Pennsic? Special
      > rules for disable fighters? how about rules that insist we allow blind
      > archery marshalls.

      Nobody has asked for anything as unreasonable as you list above.
      We're just talking about a few simple, safe, reasonable allowances
      from the norm to permit people who would otherwise be unable to
      shoot to enjoy our sport. I can't fathom what you could possibly
      have against that.

      > or do you just want Pennsic shut down because Coopers Lake campground
      > can't afford all the improvements and the SCA lose the biggest event in the
      > world because BIG BROTHER insists we make drastic changes to accomidate maybe
      > a dozen people - ruining the chance for 10,000 others to enjoy the Pennsic
      > experience.

      What are you talking about? Nobody has proposed anything that
      would hurt Pennsic in the least.

      > I am all for letting the disabled enjoy SCA life to the best of their
      > capabilities, but to change the rules for those with special needs is
      > cheating, clear and simple. And at worst case, a danger to those around
      > them.

      "Cheating" implies dishonesty. There is no dishonesty in openly
      allowing simple accomodations to allow more of our fellow
      SCAdians to enjoy the sport we all love. As for safety, there is
      nothing inherently more "unsafe" about a disabled archer than an
      "abled" archer. We don't tolerate unsafe practices from either. If
      the only way to accomodate a particular archer's disablity is
      inherently unsafe, *we simply don't do it.* But where *safe*
      alternatives exist, it's our moral *duty* to use them.

      Macsen
    • AMENSEYA@xxx.xxx
      Message 39 of 39 , Aug 31, 1999
        Kaz,

        I truly thank you for what you said.

        YIS

        May your arrows fly swiftly and may they hit their target firmly...
        Regards,
        Lady Ayesha of the Flowing Sands