Re: Period quivers and other things

  • L Joseph
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2000
      The quiver I constructed is anachronistically
      decorated with the image of lady archer loosely copied
      from a 14th c. manuscript illumination: her arrows are
      NOT carried in a quiver, but are stuck in a bunch
      through her belt.

      Examples of similar illustrations appear in Robert
      Hardy's "Longbow."

      By the way, all the debate about what is essentially
      ammo is fascinating. It reminds me of certain friends
      who are into fly fishing, another pastime which allows
      for endless hours of fun amassing esoteric gadgets to
      play with! ;-> As for me, I shoot what I've got, check
      'em for straightness periodically, and lay the blame
      squarely on my own shoulders if I miss 'cause that's
      where it belongs.

      Also of possible interest, I'm currently perusing Dan
      and Jackie DeProspero's excellent "Kyudo" and
      "Illuminated Spirit." "Kyudo" is chock full of
      excellent drawings and photos for those who wish to
      learn the "way of the bow," plus a great deal of
      discussion on the mental and philosophical components
      of archery as practiced by the Japanese. Further
      ruminations upon the teachings of Hideharu Onuma are
      covered in "Illuminated Spirit". Well worth a read,
      even if you're never going to try to shoot a yumi.

      Cheers,
      Jehanne de Wodeford, Rusted Woodlands (EAST)

      =====
      When longbows are outlawed, only outlaws will have longbows.

      http://shopping.yahoo.com/