Re: [SCA-Archery] medieval arrowmaking

  • Alberic
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 2, 2000
      Greetings:

      On the subject of military arrows, I seem to recall reading somewhere
      that many "military" arrows were made deliberately weak in the heads, so
      they'd fly once, but then break up on impact, to prevent being shot back.
      This apparently didn't have much effect on target damage, but I expect
      they switched types when firing against hardened/armoured targets.
      (Volley fire against peasants is one thing, knights another.)

      Cheers-
      Alberic
    • Karl Sandhoff
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 2, 2000
        I've also read this about crossbow bolts but not about arrows. In fact,
        I've read a number of accounts af gleaning shafts from the field between
        engagements.
        In service to the dream,
        Carolus von Eulenhorst

        On Sat, 02 Dec 2000 00:32:59 -0800 Alberic <ALBERIC@...>
        writes:
        >Greetings:
        >
        >On the subject of military arrows, I seem to recall reading somewhere
        >that many "military" arrows were made deliberately weak in the heads,
        >so
        >they'd fly once, but then break up on impact, to prevent being shot
        >back.
        >This apparently didn't have much effect on target damage, but I expect
        >they switched types when firing against hardened/armoured targets.
        >(Volley fire against peasants is one thing, knights another.)
        >
        >Cheers-
        >Alberic

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      • Mike O'Toole
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 2, 2000
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 2, 2000
            >From: Alberic <ALBERIC@...>
            >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] medieval arrowmaking
            >Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 00:32:59 -0800
            >
            >On the subject of military arrows, I seem to recall reading somewhere
            >that many "military" arrows were made deliberately weak in the heads, so
            >they'd fly once, but then break up on impact, to prevent being shot back.

            Greetings.

            I read this too somewhere. Once a 600 grain point is in flight, a 150(?)
            grain shaft wont help that much in penetration. I am trying to find the
            book in which it had the specs of this type of arrow.

            Keep em flying.

            Ld James
            Shire of Tempio
            Archery marshal
            Chronicler
            Cadet to OEngus of Greymist

          • James W. Pratt Jr.
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 3, 2000
              For those not use to weight of wood. Poplar is lighter than ash. Until I
              find my book on weight per cubic foot poplar feels lighter than norway pine.
              I have shot a poplar arrow off a 36 lb recurve and it went over 150yards.
              Plus it is very brittle and broke the head off when it hit the road(which
              was a good 40yards behind my intended target).

              James Cunningham

              > You may want to double check this fact about 150 grain shafts.
              >
              > The only verifiable arrow shafts that I know of from the middle ages are
              > the ones recovered from the Mary Rose and they were about 1/2 inch in
              > diameter and made of poplar. This size may be hard to conceive but when
              > you think that the Mary Rose bows with draw weights of 110 to 185 lbs
              > would need very strong shafts. Now when I consider 5/16 Port Orford
              > Cedar shafts weiging in at ~350 grains I can easily imagine a half inch
              > piece of poplar having a mass of 800-1000 grains
              >
              > In Toxophilus Ascham writes
              >
              > "Yet, as concerning sheaf arrows for war, (as I suppose) it were better
              > to make them of good ash, and not of asp, as they be nowadays. For of
              > all other woods that ever I proved, ash being big is swiftest, and again
              > heavy to give a great stripe withal, which asp shall not do. What
              > heaviness doth in a stripe, everyman by experience can tell; therefore
              > ash being both swifter and heavier is more fit for sheaf arrows than
              > asp: and thus much for the best wood for shafts."
              >
              > Toxophilus, Ascham, Simon Archery Foundation, p120
              >
              > This quotation certainly leads me to believe that in the medieval
              > mindset that the "stripe" or striking power was also dependent on the
              > material of the shaft and not just in the mass of the head.
              >
              > Michael O'Byrne
              > Montengarde
              >

              > Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
              > http://www.MedievalMart.com/

            • paul kaveshan
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 3, 2000
                >From: "Mike O'Toole" <mike.otoole@...>
                >To: <SCA-Archery@egroups.com>
                >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] medieval arrowmaking
                >Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 15:15:01 -0700

                >You may want to double check this fact about 150 grain shafts.
                >The only verifiable arrow shafts that I know of from the middle ages >are
                >the ones recovered from the Mary Rose and they were about 1/2 >inch in
                >diameter and made of poplar.

                I agree that they may not have been 150 grain shafts. Thats why I put the
                (?) in there. I was not quoting a fact. I really dont know how heavy a
                shaft they may have been. But it still holds that once the arrow is in
                flight, most of the energy will be put on the target. Even if the shaft
                breaks on impact, the point still has the mass & speed behind it.

                Ld James
              • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 22, 2000

                  >Dear James and all,
                  (snippage)
                  > How accurate any of this is, is debatable, but these are the
                  >tales that have come down to us. Most of the writing that we have on
                  >medieval archery(Western Euro.) are at best from later period writers
                  >that looked back with a bit of romance and exaggeration. The types of
                  >men(and women?) that were archers were common, and not literate as a
                  >rule. The tales of battle were usually written about the nobles, and the
                  >period writers had a big problem with accuracy and numbers, i.e.: Does
                  >anyone really know for sure the actual numbers of French to English at
                  >Agincourt?
                  >-Geoffrei

                  My understanding is that for some of these battles, the local clergy
                  performed religious rites just prior to the battles and then waited in the
                  wings, as it were, to perform the death rites afterwards. These men were the
                  chroniclers of these after action reports and being quite litterate,
                  provided more accurate reports than usual.

                  Brad
                • Michael vanBergen
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 22, 2000
                    Brad, I wish I had my notes on the book in hand but no such luck, so I
                    will wing it. A book titled "Eyewitness to History" by ? found at Barnes
                    and Noble, has a 2 page or so article on Agincourt written by a french
                    knight who survived the day. He said the 1st french battle sent 6000 to
                    the left wing of English archers and 6000 to the right wing, while the
                    rest of the battle went to the center. On one side, only 20 or so made it
                    into the wall of stakes while 6 score made it into the stakes on the
                    other side.He states the archers were on the wings and angled forward
                    with the English men at arms in the center. Further, he states that the
                    English threw down their quivers and bows ( no mention of arrows) ,
                    picked up their side weapons and waded into the gaps in the line that
                    they had created and continued to fight. The 2nd battle came on and got
                    caught up in the disarray ofthe 1st battle. The 3rd battle never tried
                    the field.

                    There is also a story on Crecy there as well.

                    Compared to today an d our in depth news reporting, they really werent
                    that specific. An article on KLing richard, from the same book as above
                    stuff, states the king was above average height with a ruddy complexion.

                    Michael

                  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 22, 2000
                      Dear Brad,
                      And your answer to the question of Agincourt
                      is?....................?
                      I have read conflicting reports written by very literate people of the
                      period as having anywhere between 25 to 50 thousand French and several
                      hundred to a few thousand English. Contemporary 20th century military
                      scholars who after counting the actual divisions that they knew were
                      employed have estimated that it was between 10 to 15 thousand French
                      against about 1 to 2 thousand English. But the actual true answer is:
                      unknown. The documentation conflicts and all that we really know is that
                      the English were greatly outnumbered.
                      Medieval census taking was notoriously wrong. Recounts of battles are
                      notoriously exagerated, and although they seemed to count just fine when
                      it came to commercial exchanges, they did seem to have a problem with
                      overstating numbers to flesh out a story or a census. Of course we can't
                      be so "cocky" about how we count, the election ya know.
                      Respectfully,
                      -Geoffrei

                    • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 23, 2000

                        >Dear Brad,
                        > And your answer to the question of Agincourt
                        >is?....................?
                        >I have read conflicting reports written by very literate people of the
                        >period as having anywhere between 25 to 50 thousand French and several
                        >hundred to a few thousand English. Contemporary 20th century military
                        >scholars who after counting the actual divisions that they knew were
                        >employed have estimated that it was between 10 to 15 thousand French
                        >against about 1 to 2 thousand English. But the actual true answer is:
                        >unknown. The documentation conflicts and all that we really know is that
                        >the English were greatly outnumbered.
                        >Medieval census taking was notoriously wrong. Recounts of battles are
                        >notoriously exagerated, and although they seemed to count just fine when
                        >it came to commercial exchanges, they did seem to have a problem with
                        >overstating numbers to flesh out a story or a census. Of course we can't
                        >be so "cocky" about how we count, the election ya know.
                        >Respectfully,
                        >-Geoffrei

                        Aah. 'Tis of a truth you do speak. I know of which you refer. (sorry,
                        Midsummer's on Cinemax) Try to get a head count of the fighters on the
                        field at Pennsic............ and this in an age of people who are known to
                        be able to count.

                        Brad