Coppiced shafts

  • archer3@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2000
      All this talk of spine scales and carving shafts has brought back to
      mind something that was pointed out to me some time ago, coppiced
      shafts.
      I have a fine stand of elm saplings that I have my eye on. I realize
      that elm shafts may not be the premier choice, but they are on my
      property and for a first experiment seem a reasonable place to start.
      It has always seemed to me that part of "period" was folks using the
      materials at hand, which didn't always mean using the "prime" materials.
      I'm thinking to try them off both my longbow (which the English did
      not have a monopoly on, they merely made it famous) and my crossbow.
      Anyone perchance have some references handy, or advice that they would
      care to share?
      I'm also thinking that chested shafts with either a short tang or
      cross tang are the way to go........for fletching I have on hand various
      goose, turkey, peacock, etc.

      Damian >>~~~>
      Visit the Outlands Archery page at
      http://members.iex.net/~norseman/outlands/archgen.html