Re: [SCA-Archery] Spine Scale

  • Scott Jaqua
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 1, 2000
      Conchobhar and others,

      While not taking sides on such an issue (my opinions don't matter to anyone
      else but myself), I can see some justification for the science of arrow
      making. While the medieval fletcher may not have had the same sorts of
      tools, you can bet the archer had a care for well matched arrows. Practice
      for a many a medieval archer, was their job. I would hazard a guess that
      they may have approached matching arrows by the shoot and record the
      grouping method.

      Njall Olaf Hagerson

      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 1, 2000
        Greetings!

        ... and I'm absolutely fine with that. In the TBB chapter on handmade
        arrows James (?) Massey states that he's grouping his shafts by flexing them and
        going for the 'feel'. I'm sure a medieval fletcher would have had similar
        skills just based on the amount of experience he must have had with the
        material. I'm just reluctant to replace that with modern technology and still
        consider the result to be rlated to medieval reenactment.

        I also have to admit that sometimes I am enticed to cheat. An arrow rest
        for example would make shooting much easier. And an undocumented selfbow
        profile might provide better cast than the ELB design. So far, I've reminded
        myself of my (personal) reason to start this type of archery - which was to try
        to get as close to the medieval equivalent as reasonably possible. But this
        might not continue if I don't get a decent Winter Challenge score soon ...
        ;o)

        Will

        > Conchobhar and others,
        >
        > While not taking sides on such an issue (my opinions don't matter to
        > anyone
        > else but myself), I can see some justification for the science of arrow
        > making. While the medieval fletcher may not have had the same sorts of
        > tools, you can bet the archer had a care for well matched arrows.
        > Practice
        > for a many a medieval archer, was their job. I would hazard a guess that
        > they may have approached matching arrows by the shoot and record the
        > grouping method.
        >
        > Njall Olaf Hagerson

      • Prince, John
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 1, 2000
          > Conchobhar and others,
          >
          > While not taking sides on such an issue (my opinions don't matter to anyone
          > else but myself), I can see some justification for the science of arrow
          > making. While the medieval fletcher may not have had the same sorts of
          > tools, you can bet the archer had a care for well matched arrows. Practice
          > for a many a medieval archer, was their job. I would hazard a guess that
          > they may have approached matching arrows by the shoot and record the
          > grouping method.
          >
          > Njall Olaf Hagerson

          Good M'Lord,

          My missive was not met as a critism, only an observation. It would be
          interesting to determine if your conjecture holds true. I believe
          that it would take someone who is proficient in the art form to
          draw any conclusions however. Intuitively, it makes sense.

          Conchobhar
        • Block, Alan W
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 1, 2000
            The medieval fletcher did this 10-16 hours a day. He probably developed a
            fine sense for gauging the stiffness of shafts. This is a lot more time and
            effort than I can afford to get it correct.

            ... and I'm absolutely fine with that. In the TBB chapter on handmade
            arrows James (?) Massey states that he's grouping his shafts by flexing them
            and
            going for the 'feel'. I'm sure a medieval fletcher would have had similar
            skills just based on the amount of experience he must have had with the
            material. I'm just reluctant to replace that with modern technology and
            still
            consider the result to be rlated to medieval reenactment.

            I also have to admit that sometimes I am enticed to cheat. An arrow rest
            for example would make shooting much easier. And an undocumented selfbow
            profile might provide better cast than the ELB design. So far, I've reminded
            myself of my (personal) reason to start this type of archery - which was to
            try
            to get as close to the medieval equivalent as reasonably possible. But this
            might not continue if I don't get a decent Winter Challenge score soon ...
            ;o)

            Will

            > Conchobhar and others,
            >
            > While not taking sides on such an issue (my opinions don't matter to
            > anyone
            > else but myself), I can see some justification for the science of arrow
            > making. While the medieval fletcher may not have had the same sorts of
            > tools, you can bet the archer had a care for well matched arrows.
            > Practice
            > for a many a medieval archer, was their job. I would hazard a guess that
            > they may have approached matching arrows by the shoot and record the
            > grouping method.
            >
            > Njall Olaf Hagerson

            Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
            http://www.MedievalMart.com/

          • Scott Jaqua
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 1, 2000
              I hope I didn't imply that you giving criticism. It seem to me you were
              stating an observation. Which I in turn, presented another side to. It would
              seem to me that the test would not be a matter of proficiency, but rather
              research. No it seems to me that Roger Asham recorded almost every other
              aspect of becoming a good archer in period. From bow selection to choosing
              the proper teacher. Does anyone recall him writing about arrow matching in
              hi book?

              Njall Olaf Hagerson (who admits to reading it so long ago, that the memory
              of it fails)

              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 1, 2000
                > I hope I didn't imply that you giving criticism. It seem to me you were
                > stating an observation. Which I in turn, presented another side to. It would
                > seem to me that the test would not be a matter of proficiency, but rather
                > research. No it seems to me that Roger Asham recorded almost every other
                > aspect of becoming a good archer in period. From bow selection to choosing
                > the proper teacher. Does anyone recall him writing about arrow matching in
                > hi book?
                >
                > Njall Olaf Hagerson (who admits to reading it so long ago, that the memory
                > of it fails)

                It would be an interesting project wouldn't it! You could have one
                set of arrows matched by whatever mechanical ("scientific") means up
                against a set of arrows determined by the archer using your method.
                This is where I think "proficiency" would play apart. Perhaps
                "experience" is a better choice of a word. I say this only because
                you would want any variation in grouping to be reduced as much as
                possible due to performance on the part of the archer. A sort of
                "science" vs "instinctive" approach in arrow selection.

                Conchobhar
              • Jean-Paul Blaquiere
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 1, 2000
                  > On Dec 01, Block, Alan W scratched in indelible ink :

                  > The medieval fletcher did this 10-16 hours a day. He probably developed a
                  > fine sense for gauging the stiffness of shafts. This is a lot more time and
                  > effort than I can afford to get it correct.

                  Which is why we use the 'modern' tools like fletching jigs. If i had the
                  time I daresay that I could be silly/insane enough to go and find a tree and
                  cut out a nice set of arrows, and probably a bow too. But no yet ;) A
                  comment passed to my by one of the armourers in our group was that if the
                  Vikings had had grinders in their time, they would have used them!
                  I use the tools available to me to make my job of making my toys easier. I am
                  working on the joy of 'making my toys' but that will be more beneficial to me
                  when I have more time :)

                  /Jp...
                  --
                  Jean-Paul Blaquière || Avatar of Computational
                  japester@... || Thaumaturgy
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 1, 2000
                    Several people, out of a desire to help others improve their shooting
                    and the quality of their arrows, have suggested that they aquire a spine
                    scale and a grain scale. One good gentle even posted an excellent site
                    with plans for making one inexpensively. With some of the responses,
                    you'd think we were asking you to drink "Drano". So please, if the idea
                    offends your sensibilities, please ignore all of the helpful advice, and
                    go about your business as usual.
                    We really don't know a great deal about medieval period archery
                    and its craft. Ashams book "Toxophillus" offers some insight, but was
                    written well after the great age of the longbow and is the writing of an
                    academics tutor, not a great military archer. It is a wonderful book and
                    a must have for any student of archery.but it is not the final word or
                    by any means the complete story. We all seem to quote from it as if it
                    is the word of God. It is just another source.
                    90% of what we do in the SCA is not
                    period archery or re-creation or even re-enactment, it's modern
                    traditional style archery in costume. There are some that are fiendishly
                    attempting to be accurate, and others that buy a fiberglass bow and want
                    to step to the line with their Simms arrows and play the game, and "it's
                    all good", all are welcomed and encouraged.
                    That's the way it should be. We will not allow much of the real period
                    tackle because it has been deemed unsafe, we've learned over the
                    centuries. And we've learned more about physics and how to measure what
                    we do, and I'd venture to say that in many cases we are probably a lot
                    more accurate archers than our predecessors,IMHO.
                    Play the game anyway you want, I love to play at the romance, make
                    my own self-bows, self nocked arrows with tied on fletches and
                    re-inforced wrapping on the nocks, but I also have and use a moisture
                    meter, a spine scale, a grain scale, a cresting lathe, fletching jigs,
                    feather burner, oh, and yeah, the internet too.
                    -Geoffrei

                  • James W. Pratt Jr.
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 1, 2000
                      I know what you shoot and you do have a decent score better than mine. If I
                      have followed the thread correctly you are planning to go back to
                      Drachenwald? If and when you do have them shoot the Winter Challenge.

                      James Cunningham

                      But this
                      > might not continue if I don't get a decent Winter Challenge score soon ...
                      > ;o)
                      >
                      > Will
                    • Guy Taylor
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 1, 2000
                        --- In SCA-Archery@egroups.com, "Prince, John" <jbprince@p...> wrote:

                        > It would be an interesting project wouldn't it! You could have one
                        > set of arrows matched by whatever mechanical ("scientific") means up
                        > against a set of arrows determined by the archer using your method.
                        > This is where I think "proficiency" would play apart. Perhaps
                        > "experience" is a better choice of a word. I say this only because
                        > you would want any variation in grouping to be reduced as much as
                        > possible due to performance on the part of the archer. A sort of
                        > "science" vs "instinctive" approach in arrow selection.
                        >
                        > Conchobhar

                        This brings to mind my friends that makes and shoot their own
                        primitive tackle. One of them has a spine tester that he made but he
                        does not always use it. Another simply bends the shafts he makes in
                        his hands and grades them by feel. Feathers are put on without
                        benefit of a fletching jig but I have seen Tom use his toes, not sure
                        if that is period or not but it works for him. He will shape
                        feathers either with scissors of a burning coal. Pyrographic
                        decoration is done with the sun and a magnifying glass. Finished
                        arrows are further graded by actual shooting into the two classes of
                        the good ones and the ones that get the "Wonder if I can hit that
                        from here?" shots. The latter are frequently unrecovererable in the
                        bushes.

                        Taillear
                      • James W. Pratt Jr.
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 1, 2000
                          I do not think they worried about groupings as much as we do. Even the Ice
                          Man had only one or two arrows ready to shoot. If I were a Welsh archer,
                          the only time I would need more than two arrows would be durring a war. For
                          the Hunters out there how many of you have taken more than two shots a deer
                          befor you retrieved arrows?

                          Intuitively, it makes sense.
                        • Guy Taylor
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 1, 2000
                            --- In SCA-Archery@egroups.com, "Prince, John" <jbprince@p...> wrote:

                            > As a new member in the archery community I've been following the
                            > banter about spine weights, "perfectly" matched arrows, and all the
                            > other items about the "scientific" approach to archery with much
                            > amusement. M'Lord brings forward something that I've been wondering
                            > about for sometime. While SCA archery turns it's back on that
                            > unmentionable type of bow that is so prevalent in the hunting world
                            > as being "not medieval/traditional", as a group it apprently has no
                            > problem using all the gizmos and gadgets, bells and whistles in
                            arrow
                            > selection/construction. A bit schizophrenic I think.
                            >
                            > I must admit that I know next to nothing about the sport, having
                            > only been at it for about 8 months. However, I do like the approach
                            > being taken by the gentlman above.
                            >
                            > Conchobhar

                            Different persons get different things from their SCA participation.
                            This occurs in every aspect of the SCA experience. For me, I am a
                            traditional archer first, the SCA is a game I play on the weekends to
                            be with some good people and to get another chance to shoot my
                            equipment in a friendly atmosphere.
                            Not to disparage anyone else's SCA experience but whenever I see
                            someone sign their letters with "In service to the Dream." I am
                            minded of the tagline that talks about this being what I do on the
                            weekends, the Dream consists of a blond, a red head, a gallon of
                            chocolate syrup... etc. :-)
                          • Karl Sandhoff
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 2, 2000
                              The Medieval and Renaissance archery communities know full well about the
                              intricacies of arrow making, they just didn't have the tools and had to
                              use other techniques (such as a balance scale to make sure all
                              shafts/points/feathers matched in weight to each other). Drying oils
                              such as linseed seal as well as varnish. The big difference was that
                              they didn't do this for war (never fall in love with your ammunition) and
                              sport didn't get written about as much. Their form of sport was somewhat
                              different as well. So while a perfectly matched set might be produced as
                              a gift to a high ranking noble, they really didn't need them as much as
                              they used them differently. The technologies and tools used in the shops
                              to make gear were always more sophisticated and precise than the gear
                              made and used in then field.

                              Njall Hagerson wrote:
                              While not taking sides on such an issue (my opinions don't matter to
                              anyone
                              else but myself), I can see some justification for the science of arrow
                              making. While the medieval fletcher may not have had the same sorts of
                              tools, you can bet the archer had a care for well matched arrows.
                              Practice
                              for a many a medieval archer, was their job. I would hazard a guess that
                              they may have approached matching arrows by the shoot and record the
                              grouping method.

                              Reply -
                              And this is the crux of the issue because no matter how well the arrows
                              were matched, the was no quantifiable way to match them to a bow. In
                              fact, wood bows change their dynamics through their lives as they begin
                              to take a set, lose elasticity, etc. Thus the arrows perfectly matched
                              to it have to change.

                              In service to the dream,
                              Carolus von Eulenhorst

                              On Fri, 1 Dec 2000 14:15:57 -0800 "Prince, John"
                              <jbprince@...> writes:
                              >> Greetings!
                              >>
                              >> Easy answer: I don't care! ;o)
                              >>
                              >> a) In medieval times they did not have PU varnish.
                              >> b) They also did not have moisture-, spine- or other meters.
                              >> c) They still managed to hit stuff.
                              >>
                              >> Now, trying to recreate _medieval_ archery I'm using linseed oil and
                              >> beeswax for shaft protection. I do _not_ hit the target very well
                              >(at least not
                              >> intentionally ... ;o) ). Sorry, but blaming moisture content would
                              >be to
                              >> easy. It's ME who's messing up.
                              >>
                              >> Will
                              >> * Who also does not use a fletching jig until it can be documented
                              >;o) *
                              >>

                              >As a new member in the archery community I've been following the
                              >banter about spine weights, "perfectly" matched arrows, and all the
                              >other items about the "scientific" approach to archery with much
                              >amusement. M'Lord brings forward something that I've been wondering
                              >about for sometime. While SCA archery turns it's back on that
                              >unmentionable type of bow that is so prevalent in the hunting world
                              >as being "not medieval/traditional", as a group it apprently has no
                              >problem using all the gizmos and gadgets, bells and whistles in arrow
                              >selection/construction. A bit schizophrenic I think.
                              >
                              >I must admit that I know next to nothing about the sport, having
                              >only been at it for about 8 months. However, I do like the approach
                              >being taken by the gentlman above.
                              >
                              >Conchobhar

                              GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                            • Elizabeth Pidgeon
                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 3, 2000
                                Stored bare shafts will gain a little spine over the years if properly
                                stored indoors , and working arrows will loose a little due to cell
                                degridation .
                                Carl
                                Message text written by INTERNET:SCA-Archery@egroups.com

                                Greetings

                                One more worm for the can. If you are working with un-sealed arrow
                                shafts... how MUCH does mosture content effect spin? I know that it is not
                                much fun on arrows, bolts, bow, targets, and archers.

                                James Cunningham

                                I really don't know how much variation in full arrow spine you'll find in a
                                dozen 32" shafts that are perfectly (well, OK, closely) matched according
                                standard spine. Could someone with an adjustable-span spine tester test
                                this?<
                              • James W. Pratt Jr.
                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 3, 2000
                                  snip
                                  (such as a balance scale to make sure all
                                  > shafts/points/feathers matched in weight to each other).
                                  snip

                                  Wrong.... they had scales to weight gold (see the "Viking")...what I have
                                  not found is fletchers or bowyers using scales on arrows or how to prove it.
                                  Maybe if we found arrow heads/a file/and a scale we could make a conjecture.
                                  But I have already asked how much good is that.

                                  spip
                                  The technologies and tools used in the shops to make gear were always more
                                  sophisticated and precise than the gear made and used in then field.
                                  snip

                                  I cannot see a poacher getting his arrows from a fletcher but as any modern
                                  fletcher knows, even with modern tools, experience and practice are a big
                                  part of making the best arrows.

                                  James Cunningham
                                • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 3, 2000
                                    To All,
                                    Very heavy draw weight bows, such as the bows that were shot in
                                    medieval times are LESS critical of exacting spine.
                                    Ask any master arrowmaker even in our society about this. I shoot
                                    heavier than average bows,70# plus, and although I am
                                    compulsive about weighing, spine and grain weight, I am constantly
                                    reminded by great fletchers such as Master Li Kung Lo and others that
                                    the close matching of spines at that weight and speed is NOT AS critical
                                    as it is on lighter weight bows and arrows, you just need to make sure
                                    you are not shooting under-spined arrows, or, DISASTER! On lighter
                                    weight bows (under 60#, by medieval standards) it is very critical. I
                                    don't know why this is, perhaps there are experts out there that can
                                    explain it better, but it is shown in practice.
                                    So, even though you are using a nifty little self bow that you've
                                    made that draws at 40# at 28" with self nocked arrows with tied on
                                    fletching, you cannot compare what you are doing to the "classic"
                                    British war bow which drew at between 80# for those weaker gents up to
                                    170# for the "knuckle scrapers".
                                    All of what I've written so far about spine and grain weight is
                                    geared toward the wonderful sport" that we practice in the SCA. Where
                                    the majority of people are not drawing seige bows, they are working on
                                    their form and trying to get their arrows as close to center of the
                                    paper target as possible. The physics and dynamics of our lighter weight
                                    target bows is very different, much more critical of weight difference,
                                    a lot more responsive, and due to increased speed, more critical of
                                    archer error on release.
                                    One previous writer is correct about the arrows found in the Mary
                                    Rose(source: Hardy "Longbow", Hugh Soar, "Instinctive Archer") they were
                                    estimated at being well over 1000 grains each. With a 300plus grain
                                    arrowhead, that means the shafts with fletching would have weighed in at
                                    over 700plus grains themselves. These would have been shot out of a
                                    120plus pound bow delivering the ordinance at over 220fps. DAMN!
                                    This isn't the type of archery that we do.
                                    -Geoffrei

                                  • Karl Sandhoff
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Dec 3, 2000
                                      Many years ago in the library at California State University, Long Beach
                                      there was a book with an illustration purported to come from the 14th or
                                      15th century from the archives of the "Fletcher's Guild" (I don't recall
                                      the exact Guild name) in London which clearly showed a balance scale on
                                      the workbench next to a pile of materials and several completed arrows.
                                      While I know that the jewlers and goldsmiths had similar scales with
                                      precise wieghts to measure against, I did not see any such weights in the
                                      image and did not wish to imply facts from evidence not in view. In
                                      addition, my experience with engine rebuilding had me balancing engine
                                      parts against each other to achieve balance though the exact weight was
                                      not important. We used a similar balance system. Thus, my deduction of
                                      one possible conclusion. Since I no longer am near the University, I
                                      will have to wait on trying to find the book again until I get back with
                                      time to spend (I do still have library priveledges).
                                      In service to the dream,
                                      Carolus von Eulenhorst

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Dec 3, 2000
                                        Indeed, the archery we practice has much more in common with the archery
                                        spor" of Ascham and Princess Elizabeth than the war of Agincourt and
                                        Crecy. If one were to examine the equipment of war vs. the equipment of
                                        sport (including hunting) one will find the sport equipment much finer,
                                        more precise, and delicate (though by no means fragile) than that for
                                        war. We often seem to be arguing to cross purposes as even the sport is
                                        still in period, albeit late period.
                                        In service to the dream,
                                        Carolus von Eulenhorst