Re: [SCA-Archery] crossbow bolts

  • James W. Pratt Jr.
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 1, 2000
      Greetings

      We have tried both commercial and 9MM shell casings but do not like either.

      James Cunningham

      PS tell me privatly how you got the 247 on the winter round and the 400
      IKAC.

      > Greetings, just a question, has anyone used a hardwood insert in the butt
      > end of crossbow shafts? I was just trying to find an alternate way of
      > reinforcing them so they will last a little longer if I shoot the ends. I
      > have tried butt caps and I wasn't really to happy with the results. If
      > anybody out there has any imput, I'm always willing to listen.
      >
      > Robert Thorne
    • Scott L Hecathorn
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 1, 2000
        With my first set of bolts I used the very last 3/16" of the nock as a
        reinforcement, which did work, if not a little unsightly. It worked out
        rather well because I was shooting 11/32" and using 5/16" nocks to avoid
        catching a lip from where the nock met the shaft. But now I am shooting
        5/16" with brass risers at the end and tried that method a couple of time
        with many wormburners and mole hunters, some of which I am still finding
        3 1/2 years later (not that pretty either).

        Robert Thorne
        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      • John edgerton
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 17 9:24 AM
          I now have an excellent Flemish crossbow made by Siegfried Sebastian
          Faust. I would like advice on bolt construction for it. It is 185 lbs
          at 6 inches. What would be the best length and balance point for the
          bolts and what is better for fletching, two feathers at 9:00 and 3:00
          or three feathers at 9:00, 12:00 and 3:00. I have some 60 to 65 lb
          11/32 spine shafts that I will be cutting to make the bolts.

          Thank you for any help you can give

          Jon, long time handbow user, now joining the ranks of the evil crossbow
          users. ;-)

          Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, O.L., O.P., West, Mists, Esfenn
          An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and
          cunning of mind.

        • Chad and Erin Wilson
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 17 7:57 PM
            From: "John edgerton" <sirjon1@...>
            [...]
            > Jon, long time handbow user, now joining the ranks of the evil crossbow
            > users. ;-)

            Welcome to the secret brotherhood, Jon. Our take over of SCA archery will soon
            be complete!

            Bwuhahahahahaha!

            -Caedmon
          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 17 8:12 PM
              Every crossbow shoots best with the correct bolt. You will have to try
              different lenghts, tip weights, fletching and etc. What type of release?
              What is the relationship of string travel to the bolt track? What type of
              prod? What kind of hold down? What is the size of the string? All these and
              more effect accuracy.

              James Cunningham

              > I now have an excellent Flemish crossbow made by Siegfried Sebastian
              > Faust. I would like advice on bolt construction for it. It is 185 lbs
              > at 6 inches. What would be the best length and balance point for the
              > bolts and what is better for fletching, two feathers at 9:00 and 3:00
              > or three feathers at 9:00, 12:00 and 3:00. I have some 60 to 65 lb
              > 11/32 spine shafts that I will be cutting to make the bolts.
              >
              > Thank you for any help you can give
              >
              > Jon, long time handbow user, now joining the ranks of the evil crossbow
              > users. ;-)
              >
              > Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, O.L., O.P., West, Mists, Esfenn
              > An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and
              > cunning of mind.

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 18 5:10 AM
                Great minds think alike James ... That's exactly what I told him, when I
                sold it to him :)

                Siegfried

                At 11:12 PM 7/17/2004, James W. Pratt, Jr. wrote:
                >Every crossbow shoots best with the correct bolt. You will have to try
                >different lenghts, tip weights, fletching and etc.

              • John Rossignol
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 19 3:46 PM
                  Heh. Sir Jon, weren't you even a little bit worried about a sales pitch
                  from a guy named "Faust"? ;-)

                  John

                  Siegfried Sebastian Faust wrote:

                  >Great minds think alike James ... That's exactly what I told him, when I
                  >sold it to him :)

                • John edgerton
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 19 5:16 PM
                    I would not mind dealing with Faust. But I would be wary of signing
                    anything for the guy with which he made that notorious deal. ;-)

                    Jon

                    On Monday, July 19, 2004, at 03:46 PM, John Rossignol wrote:

                    > Heh. Sir Jon, weren't you even a little bit worried about a sales
                    > pitch
                    > from a guy named "Faust"? ;-)
                    >
                    > John
                    >
                    > Siegfried Sebastian Faust wrote:
                    >
                    >> Great minds think alike James ... That's exactly what I told him,
                    >> when I
                    >> sold it to him :)

                  • ronan morton
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 10, 2006
                      Don't forget that the average long bolt for a crossbow is 1/2 the length of
                      the average arrow. That means that the spine weight triples because of
                      geometric progression. I use wooden arrows cut in half on my crossbow. The
                      arrows started at 70lb spine weight and I safely use them with a 150 lb
                      crossbow prod.

                      Ronan MacMorton
                    • Scott B. Jaqua
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 10, 2006
                        ronan morton wrote:

                        >Don't forget that the average long bolt for a crossbow is 1/2 the length of
                        >the average arrow. That means that the spine weight triples because of
                        >geometric progression. I use wooden arrows cut in half on my crossbow. The
                        >arrows started at 70lb spine weight and I safely use them with a 150 lb
                        >crossbow prod.
                        >
                        >Ronan MacMorton

                        That isn't even really an issue. Oh sure if you have a powerful enough
                        crossbow, there could be compression issues between the energy imparted
                        by the string and the inertia of the arrowhead. But only at extreme
                        poundages.

                        For the vast majority that will never be an issue. And by definition a
                        crossbow is center shot. So there is no lateral force applied to the
                        arrow at all.

                        Njall