Re: [SCA-Archery] RE: new idea

  • James W. Pratt Jr.
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2000
      Greetings

      I like the double Elimination with one leg of the double elim being
      skill(shooting) the other A&S. As they go through the levels the newest
      bee gets to choose which he wants to do(to the new bee's advantage). The
      real game is to know the strenghts and weakness of your opponent.

      James Cunningham

      > I heard once of a double elimination Arts and Sciences Tourney (yes that's
      right, 'Tourney') where the entrants were paired up and did 'combat' by
      debating before the audience the accuracy, quality and documentation for
      their pieces until one gave the victory to the other. Apparently it was both
      fun and entertaining for all. We could do something like that, perhaps the
      audience (including the other contestants) could judge, if the audience
      can't agree, the contestants shoot head-to-head on some period shoot or
      other and let the audience choose after that.

    • Greg Christensen
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 11, 2000
        Geoffrei,

        For a preriod shoot at pennsic I think you will get very few that have made
        all their equipment, you might just want to try to use the IKAC rules for
        period equipment. You will get a better turnout and everyone knows what
        these rules are or can find them on the web.

        Just a thought

        Gregge the Archer

      • Wade Hutchison
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 11, 2000
          Hmmm- after seeing this post, I had a rant prepared against the idea of
          shooting at circles, but then I re-read what you wrote, and see that
          you (of course) mean to use the _equipment_ rules from the IKAC, not the
          targets and distances. Well, that seems like a reasonable suggestion.

          I make my own arrows - even venturing into the realm of stripping my own
          shafts down from planks and trimming feathers off Turkey wings (I'm looking
          for Goose wings this Winter!) I haven't yet delved into bowery, and
          probably won't for some time. I'm sure others out there are in the same
          boat. Yet many of us shoot "period" style equipment. How about just a
          shoot where everything has to be "hand" made - no "commercial" equipment
          (r.e. fiberglass) allowed? This is a bit more restrictive than the IKAC
          guidelines - maybe as a "strong suggestion?"

          We can debate it back and forth, but I don't believe that every medieval
          archer was bowyer, fletcher _and_ leatherworker. I'm sure they could repair
          their tackle, but that doesn't mean they could make everything from scratch,
          so to speak. Are we archers, or guildsmen? Those of us who are archers
          want to get out there and shoot things! (other than concentric circles,
          that is). Who out there want's to help organize this thing? I'm in
          AEthelmearc, only about 4 hours from Pennsic, so I'd be glad to bring some
          targets, and round up some marshals for the line. When do we need to get on
          the schedule? How long do we want to shoot? Anybody want prizes, or will
          this be an informal get-together-and-shoot-for-the-hell-of-it thing?
          -----Gille MacDhnouill

          At 09:25 AM 12/11/2000, you wrote:
          >Geoffrei,
          >
          >For a preriod shoot at pennsic I think you will get very few that have made
          >all their equipment, you might just want to try to use the IKAC rules for
          >period equipment. You will get a better turnout and everyone knows what
          >these rules are or can find them on the web.
          >
          >Just a thought
          >
          >Gregge the Archer
        • Bob & Nancy Upson
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 11, 2000
            > We can debate it back and forth, but I don't believe that every
            > medieval archer was bowyer, fletcher _and_ leatherworker. I'm sure
            > they could repair their tackle, but that doesn't mean they could make
            > everything from scratch, so to speak. Are we archers, or guildsmen?

            Good question. Personally, I am an archer who also happens to
            make some of his own "periodesque" but not "period" equipment.
            Unfortunately there is a psuedo-elite faction in the SCA that finds
            this unacceptable and hence regards me and those like me as
            second class SCAdians....

            > Those of us who are archers want to get out there and shoot things!
            > (other than concentric circles, that is). Who out there want's to

            Got that right -- I'd rather shoot my periodesque equipment in a
            period style contest than shoot a period reproduction at a FITA
            target any day of the week!

            Macsen

            Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's http://www.MedievalMart.com/
            *** BUY *** SELL *** BID *** HAGGLE ***
            We all wish everyone a Safe & Happy Holiday Season!