Re: [SCA-Archery] crossbow bolts

  • D Humberson
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 1, 2000
      Someone mentioned a ring-style butt cap, which allowed split or chipped
      butts to be repaired with wood glue and sawdust. Could the original poster
      please re-send that? Meantime, I found 20.5 inch bolts for $37 a dozen that
      group in a 40 cm gold at 20 yards.

      Ragnar Ketilsson

      >From: Scott L Hecathorn <robert1015@...>
      >To: SCA-Archery@egroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] crossbow bolts
      >Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 22:27:24 -0500
      >
      >Greetings, just a question, has anyone used a hardwood insert in the butt
      >end of crossbow shafts? I was just trying to find an alternate way of
      >reinforcing them so they will last a little longer if I shoot the ends. I
      >have tried butt caps and I wasn't really to happy with the results. If
      >anybody out there has any imput, I'm always willing to listen.
      >
      >Robert Thorne
      >GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      >Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit:
      >http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

    • James W. Pratt Jr.
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 1, 2000
        Greetings

        We have tried both commercial and 9MM shell casings but do not like either.

        James Cunningham

        PS tell me privatly how you got the 247 on the winter round and the 400
        IKAC.

        > Greetings, just a question, has anyone used a hardwood insert in the butt
        > end of crossbow shafts? I was just trying to find an alternate way of
        > reinforcing them so they will last a little longer if I shoot the ends. I
        > have tried butt caps and I wasn't really to happy with the results. If
        > anybody out there has any imput, I'm always willing to listen.
        >
        > Robert Thorne
      • Scott L Hecathorn
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 1, 2000
          With my first set of bolts I used the very last 3/16" of the nock as a
          reinforcement, which did work, if not a little unsightly. It worked out
          rather well because I was shooting 11/32" and using 5/16" nocks to avoid
          catching a lip from where the nock met the shaft. But now I am shooting
          5/16" with brass risers at the end and tried that method a couple of time
          with many wormburners and mole hunters, some of which I am still finding
          3 1/2 years later (not that pretty either).

          Robert Thorne
          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
        • John edgerton
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 17, 2004
            I now have an excellent Flemish crossbow made by Siegfried Sebastian
            Faust. I would like advice on bolt construction for it. It is 185 lbs
            at 6 inches. What would be the best length and balance point for the
            bolts and what is better for fletching, two feathers at 9:00 and 3:00
            or three feathers at 9:00, 12:00 and 3:00. I have some 60 to 65 lb
            11/32 spine shafts that I will be cutting to make the bolts.

            Thank you for any help you can give

            Jon, long time handbow user, now joining the ranks of the evil crossbow
            users. ;-)

            Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, O.L., O.P., West, Mists, Esfenn
            An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and
            cunning of mind.

          • Chad and Erin Wilson
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 17, 2004
              From: "John edgerton" <sirjon1@...>
              [...]
              > Jon, long time handbow user, now joining the ranks of the evil crossbow
              > users. ;-)

              Welcome to the secret brotherhood, Jon. Our take over of SCA archery will soon
              be complete!

              Bwuhahahahahaha!

              -Caedmon
            • James W. Pratt, Jr.
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 17, 2004
                Every crossbow shoots best with the correct bolt. You will have to try
                different lenghts, tip weights, fletching and etc. What type of release?
                What is the relationship of string travel to the bolt track? What type of
                prod? What kind of hold down? What is the size of the string? All these and
                more effect accuracy.

                James Cunningham

                > I now have an excellent Flemish crossbow made by Siegfried Sebastian
                > Faust. I would like advice on bolt construction for it. It is 185 lbs
                > at 6 inches. What would be the best length and balance point for the
                > bolts and what is better for fletching, two feathers at 9:00 and 3:00
                > or three feathers at 9:00, 12:00 and 3:00. I have some 60 to 65 lb
                > 11/32 spine shafts that I will be cutting to make the bolts.
                >
                > Thank you for any help you can give
                >
                > Jon, long time handbow user, now joining the ranks of the evil crossbow
                > users. ;-)
                >
                > Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, O.L., O.P., West, Mists, Esfenn
                > An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and
                > cunning of mind.

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 18, 2004
                  Great minds think alike James ... That's exactly what I told him, when I
                  sold it to him :)

                  Siegfried

                  At 11:12 PM 7/17/2004, James W. Pratt, Jr. wrote:
                  >Every crossbow shoots best with the correct bolt. You will have to try
                  >different lenghts, tip weights, fletching and etc.

                • John Rossignol
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 19, 2004
                    Heh. Sir Jon, weren't you even a little bit worried about a sales pitch
                    from a guy named "Faust"? ;-)

                    John

                    Siegfried Sebastian Faust wrote:

                    >Great minds think alike James ... That's exactly what I told him, when I
                    >sold it to him :)

                  • John edgerton
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 19, 2004
                      I would not mind dealing with Faust. But I would be wary of signing
                      anything for the guy with which he made that notorious deal. ;-)

                      Jon

                      On Monday, July 19, 2004, at 03:46 PM, John Rossignol wrote:

                      > Heh. Sir Jon, weren't you even a little bit worried about a sales
                      > pitch
                      > from a guy named "Faust"? ;-)
                      >
                      > John
                      >
                      > Siegfried Sebastian Faust wrote:
                      >
                      >> Great minds think alike James ... That's exactly what I told him,
                      >> when I
                      >> sold it to him :)

                    • ronan morton
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 10, 2006
                        Don't forget that the average long bolt for a crossbow is 1/2 the length of
                        the average arrow. That means that the spine weight triples because of
                        geometric progression. I use wooden arrows cut in half on my crossbow. The
                        arrows started at 70lb spine weight and I safely use them with a 150 lb
                        crossbow prod.

                        Ronan MacMorton
                      • Scott B. Jaqua
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 10, 2006
                          ronan morton wrote:

                          >Don't forget that the average long bolt for a crossbow is 1/2 the length of
                          >the average arrow. That means that the spine weight triples because of
                          >geometric progression. I use wooden arrows cut in half on my crossbow. The
                          >arrows started at 70lb spine weight and I safely use them with a 150 lb
                          >crossbow prod.
                          >
                          >Ronan MacMorton

                          That isn't even really an issue. Oh sure if you have a powerful enough
                          crossbow, there could be compression issues between the energy imparted
                          by the string and the inertia of the arrowhead. But only at extreme
                          poundages.

                          For the vast majority that will never be an issue. And by definition a
                          crossbow is center shot. So there is no lateral force applied to the
                          arrow at all.

                          Njall