Re: [SCA-Archery] crossbow bolts

  • PLUNKETTARCHER@WEBTV.NET
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 30, 2000
      GREETINGS TO THE LIST. PARDON THE CAPS, BUT I HAVE "FUMBLE FINGERS"..
      HA-HA. IN REGARD TO THE USE OF INSERTS IN THE BOLT. THEY CAN'T HURT. BUT
      I DON'T USE THEM ON MINE. I HAVE GONE TO A 3/8TH DIA, CUPPED END, LIKE A
      BIG NOCK. IT CATCHES THE STRING WELL. MY BOLTS ARE 5/16" AND 11/32".
      BOTH SIZES SHOOT GOOD. I SHOOT A X-BOW OF MY OWN DESIGN USING A HAN
      LOCK. IT ALSO HAS A FIBERGLASS PROD@70#@14"! 1/4"X1/4" FLAT BAR STOCK
      FROM TAP PLASTIC. $8.50 FOR A 6'PIECE. MAKES 2 PRODS! WRAP IN THIN
      LEATHER OR PAINT NICELY, PRESTO, AN ALMOST UNBREAKABLE PROD. HAVN'T HAD
      ANY PROBLEMS IN 5 YEARS!! IT WORKS WELL ENOUGH TO PUT ME IN 7TH PLACE
      IKAC PERIOD X-BOW. KNOWN WORLD. I AM FINISHING UP MY NEW CROSSBOW NOW.
      IT IS A 3RD CENTURY B.C. HAN REPLICA. CAN'T SAY IT ISN'T PERIOD!!!! IT
      WILL USE A KASAI SCYTHIAN BOW AS THE PROD. 80# @ 19 3/4". IT SURE LOOKS
      GOOD. [HUMBLY, HE SAID] WELL, SORRY TO BE WINDY. ANY QUESTIONS, EITHER
      EMAIL ME DIRECT OR LETS USE THIS LIST. YOURS IN THE DREAM. LORD ABNER DE
      PLUNKETT
      GUILD WARDEN
      NORTHERN MISTS ARCHERS GUILD
      WEST KINGDOM
      PRINCIPALITY OF THE MISTS
    • D Humberson
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 1, 2000
        Someone mentioned a ring-style butt cap, which allowed split or chipped
        butts to be repaired with wood glue and sawdust. Could the original poster
        please re-send that? Meantime, I found 20.5 inch bolts for $37 a dozen that
        group in a 40 cm gold at 20 yards.

        Ragnar Ketilsson

        >From: Scott L Hecathorn <robert1015@...>
        >To: SCA-Archery@egroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] crossbow bolts
        >Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 22:27:24 -0500
        >
        >Greetings, just a question, has anyone used a hardwood insert in the butt
        >end of crossbow shafts? I was just trying to find an alternate way of
        >reinforcing them so they will last a little longer if I shoot the ends. I
        >have tried butt caps and I wasn't really to happy with the results. If
        >anybody out there has any imput, I'm always willing to listen.
        >
        >Robert Thorne
        >GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        >Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit:
        >http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

      • James W. Pratt Jr.
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 1, 2000
          Greetings

          We have tried both commercial and 9MM shell casings but do not like either.

          James Cunningham

          PS tell me privatly how you got the 247 on the winter round and the 400
          IKAC.

          > Greetings, just a question, has anyone used a hardwood insert in the butt
          > end of crossbow shafts? I was just trying to find an alternate way of
          > reinforcing them so they will last a little longer if I shoot the ends. I
          > have tried butt caps and I wasn't really to happy with the results. If
          > anybody out there has any imput, I'm always willing to listen.
          >
          > Robert Thorne
        • Scott L Hecathorn
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 1, 2000
            With my first set of bolts I used the very last 3/16" of the nock as a
            reinforcement, which did work, if not a little unsightly. It worked out
            rather well because I was shooting 11/32" and using 5/16" nocks to avoid
            catching a lip from where the nock met the shaft. But now I am shooting
            5/16" with brass risers at the end and tried that method a couple of time
            with many wormburners and mole hunters, some of which I am still finding
            3 1/2 years later (not that pretty either).

            Robert Thorne
            GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
          • John edgerton
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 17, 2004
              I now have an excellent Flemish crossbow made by Siegfried Sebastian
              Faust. I would like advice on bolt construction for it. It is 185 lbs
              at 6 inches. What would be the best length and balance point for the
              bolts and what is better for fletching, two feathers at 9:00 and 3:00
              or three feathers at 9:00, 12:00 and 3:00. I have some 60 to 65 lb
              11/32 spine shafts that I will be cutting to make the bolts.

              Thank you for any help you can give

              Jon, long time handbow user, now joining the ranks of the evil crossbow
              users. ;-)

              Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, O.L., O.P., West, Mists, Esfenn
              An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and
              cunning of mind.

            • Chad and Erin Wilson
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 17, 2004
                From: "John edgerton" <sirjon1@...>
                [...]
                > Jon, long time handbow user, now joining the ranks of the evil crossbow
                > users. ;-)

                Welcome to the secret brotherhood, Jon. Our take over of SCA archery will soon
                be complete!

                Bwuhahahahahaha!

                -Caedmon
              • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 17, 2004
                  Every crossbow shoots best with the correct bolt. You will have to try
                  different lenghts, tip weights, fletching and etc. What type of release?
                  What is the relationship of string travel to the bolt track? What type of
                  prod? What kind of hold down? What is the size of the string? All these and
                  more effect accuracy.

                  James Cunningham

                  > I now have an excellent Flemish crossbow made by Siegfried Sebastian
                  > Faust. I would like advice on bolt construction for it. It is 185 lbs
                  > at 6 inches. What would be the best length and balance point for the
                  > bolts and what is better for fletching, two feathers at 9:00 and 3:00
                  > or three feathers at 9:00, 12:00 and 3:00. I have some 60 to 65 lb
                  > 11/32 spine shafts that I will be cutting to make the bolts.
                  >
                  > Thank you for any help you can give
                  >
                  > Jon, long time handbow user, now joining the ranks of the evil crossbow
                  > users. ;-)
                  >
                  > Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf, O.L., O.P., West, Mists, Esfenn
                  > An Archer must be: Keen of eye, steady of hand, fleet of foot and
                  > cunning of mind.

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 18, 2004
                    Great minds think alike James ... That's exactly what I told him, when I
                    sold it to him :)

                    Siegfried

                    At 11:12 PM 7/17/2004, James W. Pratt, Jr. wrote:
                    >Every crossbow shoots best with the correct bolt. You will have to try
                    >different lenghts, tip weights, fletching and etc.

                  • John Rossignol
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 19, 2004
                      Heh. Sir Jon, weren't you even a little bit worried about a sales pitch
                      from a guy named "Faust"? ;-)

                      John

                      Siegfried Sebastian Faust wrote:

                      >Great minds think alike James ... That's exactly what I told him, when I
                      >sold it to him :)

                    • John edgerton
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 19, 2004
                        I would not mind dealing with Faust. But I would be wary of signing
                        anything for the guy with which he made that notorious deal. ;-)

                        Jon

                        On Monday, July 19, 2004, at 03:46 PM, John Rossignol wrote:

                        > Heh. Sir Jon, weren't you even a little bit worried about a sales
                        > pitch
                        > from a guy named "Faust"? ;-)
                        >
                        > John
                        >
                        > Siegfried Sebastian Faust wrote:
                        >
                        >> Great minds think alike James ... That's exactly what I told him,
                        >> when I
                        >> sold it to him :)

                      • ronan morton
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 10, 2006
                          Don't forget that the average long bolt for a crossbow is 1/2 the length of
                          the average arrow. That means that the spine weight triples because of
                          geometric progression. I use wooden arrows cut in half on my crossbow. The
                          arrows started at 70lb spine weight and I safely use them with a 150 lb
                          crossbow prod.

                          Ronan MacMorton
                        • Scott B. Jaqua
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 10, 2006
                            ronan morton wrote:

                            >Don't forget that the average long bolt for a crossbow is 1/2 the length of
                            >the average arrow. That means that the spine weight triples because of
                            >geometric progression. I use wooden arrows cut in half on my crossbow. The
                            >arrows started at 70lb spine weight and I safely use them with a 150 lb
                            >crossbow prod.
                            >
                            >Ronan MacMorton

                            That isn't even really an issue. Oh sure if you have a powerful enough
                            crossbow, there could be compression issues between the energy imparted
                            by the string and the inertia of the arrowhead. But only at extreme
                            poundages.

                            For the vast majority that will never be an issue. And by definition a
                            crossbow is center shot. So there is no lateral force applied to the
                            arrow at all.

                            Njall