Port orford shafts, arrow spineing etc.

  • Hal B. Clark
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2000
      In answer to what us poor boys do when we can't afford a spine tester.
      Make up a dozen or so arrows. number them 1 through twelve. shoot them
      at the target and, on the target, record where each arrow strikes. Do
      this five or six times. You will find that some arrows group together,
      IE
      high and right whale some group low and left. Place a red ring around
      one group and a blue ring around the other. When you approach the line,
      be sure you have a group of arrows that always shoot together. As for
      the ones that don't group with anything else, the make great loaners or
      stump shooter etc.

      I agree that spine and weight are important factors in making your own
      arrows and am definetly not argueing against these points. However, the
      human factor in manufacturing your own arrows also causes errors.
      Fletchings are not quite exact. The self nocks are off a bit. etc.
      Use all the care you are capable off. Spine and weigh if you have the
      equipment available. The proof of the pudding is in the shooting.
      Group your arrows and you can't go wrong.
      Walk Tall
      Baron Caomh