Re: [SCA-Archery] port orford cedar shafts

  • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
    Message 1 of 49 , Nov 30, 2000
      Buy your shafts from someone who does the matching for you ...

      Master Li Kung Lo (Sorry, really bad spelling, I know), in the East does
      this. He buys in huge bulk, and has his household weigh to +-1 grain and
      match spine ... Don't know his prices off hand for a dozen shafts, but it
      is very reasonable for what you are getting ...

      Many archers around here order from him.

      (Personally, being a crossbowman, I have a grain scale purchased from Ebay,
      and don't care too much about spine ... just 'heavy' works for me *grin*)

      Siegfried

      At 01:39 AM 11/30/2000 -0500, you wrote:
      >So what suggestions can any one give us poorer arrow makers? or is the
      >purchase of scores of shafts, spine scales and calibrated grain scales
      >just the
      >price one has to pay to get the higher range scores? I really hate to
      >think I
      >will only attain mediochre scoreing until I spend another roughly 500 dollars.
      >
      >Simon Hondy
      >MKA Jeff Elder
      >

      >Quoting jrosswebb1@...:
      ><snip>
      > > I measure every shaft I purchase on a spine and grain scale. I've
      > > stopped buying hand matched dozens because I found that most of the time
      > > they are not, with the exception of those I've purchased from Master Li,
      > > and they were usually within 1# and 3-5 grains. I wish he stocked the
      > > heavier weight shafts.
      ><snip>
      > > -Geoffrei
      ><snip>
      >

      >Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
      >http://www.MedievalMart.com/

      Baronial Web Minister http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org/
    • Gary L Hecathorn
      Message 49 of 49 , Dec 2, 2000
        > Apologies James, but no can do as he is not in the SCA. While Tom
        > is
        > very active in traditional archery he has no interest in SCA
        > activities. I think he believes it's a little bit nuts. I've
        > spoken
        > with a few mundane dealers of trad archery gear and when I let it
        > slip that I do SCA shoots they almost universaly roll their eyes.
        > don't think we've made too good an impression on them.
        >
        > Taillear

        Oh the difference in areas. My mundaine dealer has asked about
        merchanting at an event and our mundain range has asked if we could do a
        demo at one of there events. It would appear that it's your dealers that
        are missing out.

        Gareth Thorne

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.