Re: [SCA-Archery] dumb question

  • Bob & Nancy Upson
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 28, 2000
      > things, but I am wondering why this is true? What does dry-firing do
      > to a bow that releasing an arrow does not? And does it only affect
      > wood bows, or can fiberglass be ruined too?

      In short, the energy you expend drawing a bow is stored in the
      bow's limbs. During a normal release with an arrow on the string,
      most (all would be ideal) of that energy is transferred to the arrow
      as it is accelerated out of the bow. By the time the bow reaches
      its resting position again, most of the stored energy has already
      been spent. Without an arrow (or even with too light an arrow), *all*
      the energy gets dumped back into the bow in the form of a violent
      mechanical shock -- violent enough to damage the bow itself.

      Macsen

      Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's http://www.MedievalMart.com/
      *** BUY *** SELL *** BID *** HAGGLE ***
      At Medieval Mart we believe shopping should be a War Point!