RE: [SCA-Archery] Digest Number 429

  • Charley Olenak
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2000
      -----Original Message-----
      From: SCA-Archery@egroups.com [SMTP:SCA-Archery@egroups.com]
      Sent: Monday, November 06, 2000 1:03 PM
      To: SCA-Archery@egroups.com
      Subject: [SCA-Archery] Digest Number 429

      Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
      http://www.MedievalMart.com/

      [Email to SCA-Archery-unsubscribe@egroups.com to leave this list]

      There are 14 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Learning bow making
      From: elwin@...
      2. Re: Learning bow making
      From: elwin@...
      3. looking for a long bow or recurve
      From: "edward hastings" <meadowsweet@...>
      4. Re: looking for a long bow or recurve
      From: "Lord Conall" <LordConall@...>
      5. Flat bows
      From: Mark Hendershott <crimlaw@...>
      6. Re: looking for a long bow or recurve
      From: "Jeff Elder" <scholari@...>
      7. Re: looking for a long bow or recurve
      From: "Bob & Nancy Upson" <wyvern@...>
      8. Ranks
      From: eric.m.schaffer@...
      9. Re: Ranks
      From: "SwayzeK" <kgs@...>
      10. Re: Ranks
      From: "Bob & Nancy Upson" <wyvern@...>
      11. Re: Ranks
      From: "Jeff Elder" <scholari@...>
      12. Re: Ranks
      From: eric.m.schaffer@...
      13. Re: Re: Learning bow making
      From: "Francois Leclerc" <fleclerc@...>
      14. Re: Ranks
      From: "Bob & Nancy Upson" <wyvern@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 19:32:58 -0000
      From: elwin@...
      Subject: Re: Learning bow making

      --- In SCA-Archery@egroups.com, "paul kaveshan" <pkjdw@h...> wrote:
      > >From: elwin@o...
      >
      > My Lord James sir you live in the best state for bow
      > >making they have osage and the best boywers start with Jim Hamm
      > >write to Bois d Arc Press 4 Box 233,Azle Tx ,76020> also stay in
      touch
      > > go luck Elwin
      >
      > Jim Hamm, as in the Bowyers Bible writer? I didnt know he lived in
      Texas.
      > (Guess I should have read the cover) LOL
      >
      > There are some osage trees around, but so far, I don't know anyone
      who owns
      > the land and I'm not going to just start cutting trees down.
      >
      > I would like to find some already aged, but again, something tells
      me I will
      > have to acquire and age them myself, and it takes what 2 years to
      let it dry
      > enough before making?? I will be happy to learn on kiln dried wood
      and get
      > the "real" stuff later.
      >
      > Thank you all for the input and information.
      >
      > Ld James
      > Any boyer in the T B B will be glad to get you wood try this
      primitvearcher.com then go to links Elwin
      http://www.hotmail.com

      > http://profiles.msn.com

      Message: 2
      Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 19:40:24 -0000
      From: elwin@...

      --- In SCA-Archery@egroups.com, "Simon Hondy" <scholari@s...> wrote:
      > The one concern I have about bow making, is the moisture content of
      the
      > wood. I have already spent enough money on tools for hobbies. How
      can I
      > assure the correct moisutre content in a stave or billet, with out
      spending
      > several hundred dollars more for humidity meters?
      >
      > And my choice of wood for making a bow is locust. Just because i
      carry
      > enough scars and puncture marks from that tree. It is kind of a
      get even,
      > or some such feeling. I do know it is a heavier, and slower wood
      for bows.

      > And for would be bowyers who are limited on space, or like me
      apartment
      > dwellers, Kustom King, Traditional Archery, and a small Bower shop
      here in
      > central Illinois, make bow kits.
      >

      > Simon Hondy weigh it from the start you can work on why its draying

      Message: 3
      Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 04:21:19 -0000
      From: "edward hastings" <meadowsweet@...>
      Subject: looking for a long bow or recurve

      hiiiiii i ,m looking for a long bow or a recurve i live in AN-TIR
      kingdom, puyallup wa. as i shoot right handed with a compound i,m
      looking for a bow SCA legal so i can enter the shooting tournys where
      can i buy one in my area plus arrows wooden per SCA standards i plan
      to shoot in the up comeing year so if you know of a shop that is SCA
      friendly and knows the rules great...........thank you

      LORD EDWARD

      Try looking at Northwest Archery they have a bow school
      Elwin

      Message: 4
      Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 20:34:39 -0800
      From: "Lord Conall" <LordConall@...>
      Subject: Re: looking for a long bow or recurve

      Northwest Archery
      19807 1st Ave S.
      Seattle 206.878.7300
      Exit 151 off of I-5 near the airport

      They carry recurves as well as longbows, arrow making supplies and pre-made
      arrows as well.

      > hiiiiii i ,m looking for a long bow or a recurve i live in AN-TIR
      > kingdom, puyallup wa. as i shoot right handed with a compound i,m
      > looking for a bow SCA legal so i can enter the shooting tournys where
      > can i buy one in my area plus arrows wooden per SCA standards i plan
      > to shoot in the up comeing year so if you know of a shop that is SCA
      > friendly and knows the rules great...........thank you
      >
      > LORD EDWARD
      >

      > Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
      > http://www.MedievalMart.com/

      Message: 5
      Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 20:58:37 -0800
      From: Mark Hendershott <crimlaw@...>
      Subject: Flat bows

      I'm contemplating trying to make a bow. Given the woods readily
      available here in Western Oregon, a flat bow design is mandated. (buying
      high priced yew can wait till I can do it justice). All the reference
      I've seen talk of flat bows in either North American or neolithis
      European contexts. Were there area of Medieval Europe using flat bows?
      If so can someone point me to authority for that.

      Simon

      Summits, An Tir

      Message: 6
      Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 06:49:44 -0600
      From: "Jeff Elder" <scholari@...>

      Lord Edward,

      I have a few mail order links and archery info on this page:
      http://www.chameleon.net/scholari/sca/combat/
      and it is not an over whelming amount.. Also are links with just archery
      information.

      Living in your area, you are close to the Martin archery company (Walla
      Walla). So there should be archery shops that deal in their stock. You can
      chose from the basics of the 'Stick' Long Bow or the Nirk Rebel Recurve
      (Nirk is owned by Martin now). Traditional Archery
      ( http://www.oldbow.com/ ) has new and used bows Eric is very helpful with
      setting up a bow to your needs, and will make arrows for you. Although
      making arrows is pretty much dead simple.

      Good luck in your search, there are things to be aware of with the
      differences of a Long bow or Recurve. And there is choosing the bow with
      the right draw weight too. But with patience and asking questions, learning
      and asking more informed questions many on this group will answer them for
      you.

      Simon Hondy
      http://www.chameleon.net/scholari/sca

      > hiiiiii i ,m looking for a long bow or a recurve i live in AN-TIR
      > kingdom, puyallup wa. as i shoot right handed with a compound i,m
      > looking for a bow SCA legal so i can enter the shooting tournys where
      > can i buy one in my area plus arrows wooden per SCA standards i plan
      > to shoot in the up comeing year so if you know of a shop that is SCA
      > friendly and knows the rules great...........thank you
      >
      > LORD EDWARD

      Message: 7
      Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 09:13:19 -0500
      From: "Bob & Nancy Upson" <wyvern@...>

      > > hiiiiii i ,m looking for a long bow or a recurve i live in AN-TIR
      > > kingdom, puyallup wa. as i shoot right handed with a
      compound i,m

      There are a couple of gorgeous horn nocked, hickory backed yew
      English longbows on the auction at http://www.medievalmart.com/

      They're pretty high end bows, but if they shoot anywhere near as
      good as they look they're well worth it. =)

      Macsen

      Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's http://www.MedievalMart.com/
      *** BUY *** SELL *** BID *** HAGGLE ***
      At Medieval Mart we believe shopping should be a War Point!

      Message: 8
      Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 09:37:24 -0500
      From: eric.m.schaffer@...
      Subject: Ranks

      I was wondering if someone could send me the list that can tell me what average
      = what rank.

      Message: 9
      Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 07:51:48 -0700
      From: "SwayzeK" <kgs@...>
      Subject: Re: Ranks

      On Nov 6, 9:37am, eric.m.schaffer@... wrote:

      > I was wondering if someone could send me the list that can tell me what
      average
      > = what rank.
      >

      >-- End of excerpt from eric.m.schaffer@...

      Hi Eric,

      It depends on which kingdom you reside in.

      Ailinn Shadowfox

      Message: 10
      Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 09:59:29 -0500
      From: "Bob & Nancy Upson" <wyvern@...>

      > I was wondering if someone could send me the list that can tell me
      > what average = what rank.

      Archery "ranks," where they are recognized, are established locally
      by kingdom. Which kingdom are you looking for?

      Macsen

      Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's http://www.MedievalMart.com/
      *** BUY *** SELL *** BID *** HAGGLE ***
      At Medieval Mart we believe shopping should be a War Point!

      Message: 11
      Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 09:22:24 -0600
      From: "Jeff Elder" <scholari@...>

      For the mid Realm ranks, and current scoring, I will plug my web site for
      just such info, links are mid realm specific. And pretty pictures of the
      ranking badges.

      Simon Hondy
      MKA Jeff Elder

      > I was wondering if someone could send me the list that can tell me what
      average
      > = what rank.

      Message: 12
      Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 10:00:38 -0500
      From: eric.m.schaffer@...

      I live in the east kingdom

      Message: 13
      Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 10:57:34 -0500
      From: "Francois Leclerc" <fleclerc@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: Learning bow making

      > The one concern I have about bow making, is the moisture content of the
      > wood. I have already spent enough money on tools for hobbies. How can I
      > assure the correct moisutre content in a stave or billet, with out spending
      > several hundred dollars more for humidity meters?

      The trick is to weight it at regular intervals and note down its weight. When
      the weight stops going down, the staff has stopped drying.

      Message: 14
      Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 10:56:10 -0500
      From: "Bob & Nancy Upson" <wyvern@...>

      > I live in the east kingdom

      You can find complete EK Royal Round info at:

      http://www.wyvernhall.com/sca/royalrnd.html

      Macsen

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2000
        4. Re: looking for a long bow or recurve
        From: "Lord Conall" <LordConall@...>
        5. Flat bows
        From: Mark Hendershott <crimlaw@...>
        6. Re: looking for a long bow or recurve
        From: "Jeff Elder" <scholari@...>
        7. Re: looking for a long bow or recurve
        From: "Bob & Nancy Upson" <wyvern@...>
        8. Ranks
        From: eric.m.schaffer@...
        9. Re: Ranks
        From: "SwayzeK" <kgs@...>
        10. Re: Ranks
        From: "Bob & Nancy Upson" <wyvern@...>
        11. Re: Ranks
        From: "Jeff Elder" <scholari@...>
        12. Re: Ranks
        From: eric.m.schaffer@...
        13. Re: Re: Learning bow making
        From: "Francois Leclerc" <fleclerc@...>
        14. Re: Ranks
        From: "Bob & Nancy Upson" <wyvern@...>

        Message: 1
        Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 19:32:58 -0000
        From: elwin@...

        --- In SCA-Archery@egroups.com, "paul kaveshan" <pkjdw@h...> wrote:
        > >From: elwin@o...
        >
        > My Lord James sir you live in the best state for bow
        > >making they have osage and the best boywers start with Jim Hamm
        > >write to Bois d Arc Press 4 Box 233,Azle Tx ,76020> also stay in
        touch
        > > go luck Elwin
        >
        > Jim Hamm, as in the Bowyers Bible writer? I didnt know he lived in
        Texas.
        > (Guess I should have read the cover) LOL
        >
        > There are some osage trees around, but so far, I don't know anyone
        who owns
        > the land and I'm not going to just start cutting trees down.
        >
        > I would like to find some already aged, but again, something tells
        me I will
        > have to acquire and age them myself, and it takes what 2 years to
        let it dry
        > enough before making?? I will be happy to learn on kiln dried wood
        and get
        > the "real" stuff later.
        >
        > Thank you all for the input and information.
        >
        > Ld James
        > Any boyer in the T B B will be glad to get you wood try this
        primitvearcher.com then go to links Elwin
        http://www.hotmail.com

        > http://profiles.msn.com

        Message: 2
        Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 19:40:24 -0000
        From: elwin@...

        --- In SCA-Archery@egroups.com, "Simon Hondy" <scholari@s...> wrote:
        > The one concern I have about bow making, is the moisture content of
        the
        > wood. I have already spent enough money on tools for hobbies. How
        can I
        > assure the correct moisutre content in a stave or billet, with out
        spending
        > several hundred dollars more for humidity meters?
        >
        > And my choice of wood for making a bow is locust. Just because i
        carry
        > enough scars and puncture marks from that tree. It is kind of a
        get even,
        > or some such feeling. I do know it is a heavier, and slower wood
        for bows.

        > And for would be bowyers who are limited on space, or like me
        apartment
        > dwellers, Kustom King, Traditional Archery, and a small Bower shop
        here in
        > central Illinois, make bow kits.
        >

        > Simon Hondy weigh it from the start you can work on why its draying

        Message: 3

        > hiiiiii i ,m looking for a long bow or a recurve i live in AN-TIR
        > kingdom, puyallup wa. as i shoot right handed with a compound i,m
        > looking for a bow SCA legal so i can enter the shooting tournys where
        > can i buy one in my area plus arrows wooden per SCA standards i plan
        > to shoot in the up comeing year so if you know of a shop that is SCA
        > friendly and knows the rules great...........thank you
        >
        > LORD EDWARD
        >

        > Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
        > http://www.MedievalMart.com/

        Message: 5
        Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 20:58:37 -0800
        From: Mark Hendershott <crimlaw@...>

        I'm contemplating trying to make a bow. Given the woods readily
        available here in Western Oregon, a flat bow design is mandated. (buying
        high priced yew can wait till I can do it justice). All the reference
        I've seen talk of flat bows in either North American or neolithis
        European contexts. Were there area of Medieval Europe using flat bows?
        If so can someone point me to authority for that.

        Simon

        Summits, An Tir

        Call JOHN STRUNK 503 8424944

        Message: 6
        Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 06:49:44 -0600
        From: "Jeff Elder" <scholari@...>

        Lord Edward,

        I have a few mail order links and archery info on this page:
        http://www.chameleon.net/scholari/sca/combat/
        and it is not an over whelming amount.. Also are links with just archery
        information.

        Living in your area, you are close to the Martin archery company (Walla
        Walla). So there should be archery shops that deal in their stock. You can
        chose from the basics of the 'Stick' Long Bow or the Nirk Rebel Recurve
        (Nirk is owned by Martin now). Traditional Archery
        ( http://www.oldbow.com/ ) has new and used bows Eric is very helpful with
        setting up a bow to your needs, and will make arrows for you. Although
        making arrows is pretty much dead simple.

        Good luck in your search, there are things to be aware of with the
        differences of a Long bow or Recurve. And there is choosing the bow with
        the right draw weight too. But with patience and asking questions, learning
        and asking more informed questions many on this group will answer them for
        you.

        Simon Hondy
        http://www.chameleon.net/scholari/sca

        > hiiiiii i ,m looking for a long bow or a recurve i live in AN-TIR
        > kingdom, puyallup wa. as i shoot right handed with a compound i,m
        > looking for a bow SCA legal so i can enter the shooting tournys where
        > can i buy one in my area plus arrows wooden per SCA standards i plan
        > to shoot in the up comeing year so if you know of a shop that is SCA
        > friendly and knows the rules great...........thank you
        >
        > LORD EDWARD

        Message: 7
        Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 09:13:19 -0500
        From: "Bob & Nancy Upson" <wyvern@...>

        Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 09:37:24 -0500
        From: eric.m.schaffer@...

        Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 07:51:48 -0700
        From: "SwayzeK" <kgs@...>

        Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 09:59:29 -0500
        From: "Bob & Nancy Upson" <wyvern@...>

        Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 09:22:24 -0600
        From: "Jeff Elder" <scholari@...>

        For the mid Realm ranks, and current scoring, I will plug my web site for
        just such info, links are mid realm specific. And pretty pictures of the
        ranking badges.

        Simon Hondy
        MKA Jeff Elder

        > I was wondering if someone could send me the list that can tell me what
        average
        > = what rank.

        Message: 12
        Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 10:00:38 -0500