Re: [SCA-Archery] Learning bow making

  • eric.m.schaffer@sb.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
      Ok, since every one else is looking...

      I'm looking for a bow maker who is willing to take on an apprentice in the
      philadelphia area...
    • INEZ ADAMS
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
        where do you live in Texas it's a big state.

        Ldy Innes
      • paul kaveshan
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
          Greetings Ldy Innes

          I live in a wonderful little shire called Tempio. (Temple) Its about 2 hours
          south of DFW, 1 hour north of Austin on I35. The Laurels event is going to
          be held here this weekend. I am going to be there. I will be looking for
          all those who are doing period arrows and bows, and picking brains. 8-)

          Hope to see you all there.

          Ld James

          >From: INEZ ADAMS <ldyinnes@...>
          >To: SCA-Archery@egroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Learning bow making
          >Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 14:56:16 -0600
          >
          >where do you live in Texas it's a big state.
          >
          >Ldy Innes

          http://profiles.msn.com
        • INEZ ADAMS
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
            UNFORTHNATELY NO I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ATTEND. I WAS GOING TO PUT YOU IN
            TOUCH
            WITH LDY ELIZABETH HAWKWOOD HOWEVER I SEE THAT SHE HAS ALREADY CONTACTED
            YOU.

            HAVE FUN THIS WEEKEND AND THINK OF THOSE WHO SIT AT HOME AND WAIT.

            LDY INNES
          • Rick Shreve
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
              I am not in the Cincinnati area but would like to
              know if there are any bowyers in the Arizona area.

              Griffith

              --- elwin@... wrote:
              > Hello from Elwin
              > Is there any one out there who is interested in
              > learning the fine
              > art of bow making and arrows in the Cincinnati Oh
              > area.
              > I am looking for apprentice in my home no
              > $$$$$$$$$$$$ but you by
              > your own wood for your self we have all the tools
              > and books for you to
              > learn
              > Hoping to hear from you
              > in service of my dream
              > to see wooding
              > bows in the S C A
              >
              > Lodr Elwin the Bowman

              From homework help to love advice, Yahoo! Experts has your answer.
              http://experts.yahoo.com/
            • elwin@one.net
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 3, 2000
                --- In SCA-Archery@egroups.com, "paul kaveshan" <pkjdw@h...> wrote:
                > I am interested in learning bow making. But I live in Texas.
                >
                > Are there any bow makers in Texas who would like to teach??
                >
                > Ld James My Lord James sir you live in the best state for bow
                making they have osage and the best boywers start with Jim Hamm
                write to Bois d Arc Press 4 Box 233,Azle Tx ,76020> also stay in touch
                go luck Elwin

                > > Hello from Elwin
                > > Is there any one out there who is interested in learning the
                fine
                > >art of bow making and arrows in the Cincinnati Oh area.
                > >I am looking for apprentice in my home no $$$$$$$$$$$$ but you by
                > >your own wood for your self we have all the tools and books for
                you to
                > >learn
                > > Hoping to hear from you
                > > in service of my dream to see wooding
                > > bows in the S C A
                > > Lodr Elwin the Bowman

                http://www.hotmail.com

                > http://profiles.msn.com
              • paul kaveshan
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 3, 2000
                  >From: elwin@...

                  My Lord James sir you live in the best state for bow
                  >making they have osage and the best boywers start with Jim Hamm
                  >write to Bois d Arc Press 4 Box 233,Azle Tx ,76020> also stay in touch
                  > go luck Elwin

                  Jim Hamm, as in the Bowyers Bible writer? I didnt know he lived in Texas.
                  (Guess I should have read the cover) LOL

                  There are some osage trees around, but so far, I don't know anyone who owns
                  the land and I'm not going to just start cutting trees down.

                  I would like to find some already aged, but again, something tells me I will
                  have to acquire and age them myself, and it takes what 2 years to let it dry
                  enough before making?? I will be happy to learn on kiln dried wood and get
                  the "real" stuff later.

                  Thank you all for the input and information.

                  Ld James

                  http://profiles.msn.com
                • Rhonda New
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 3, 2000
                    paul kaveshan wrote:

                    > I would like to find some already aged, but again, something tells me I will
                    > have to acquire and age them myself, and it takes what 2 years to let it dry
                    > enough before making?? I will be happy to learn on kiln dried wood and get
                    > the "real" stuff later.
                    >
                    > Thank you all for the input and information.
                    >
                    > Ld James

                    I've got several staves already cured and ready to start workin on.

                    But, you ain't lived 'til you've cut down a bois d'arc (osage) tree,
                    split it, and lived to tell about it! Comparing blisters is cool....
                    And most land owners are glad to have their bois d'arc trees
                    removed... just prepared to remove all of it, small limbs, stump,
                    etc, as well as the parts you're going to use.

                    Three months is about enough curing - you still need a little
                    moisture in the wood.

                    I will not be at Laurel's Prize; however, I will most likely be
                    at Three Kings.

                    Cell phone number is 817-456-8599 (Sat & Sun)
                    Work number is 817-509-3403 (8 - 5)
                    The rest of the time, I'm in school (6-11 PM)

                    /Ly Elizabeth Hawkwood
                  • James W. Pratt Jr.
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 3, 2000
                      For those who are not loggers. The Osage tree is considered to be a
                      worthless tree by most owners. If you take the time to find the owner and
                      ask you might be surprised. The best and easyest are in fence rows away
                      from houses. Do not be surprised when your chainsaw throws sparks when
                      cutting it. You will also find that two years goes by quickly when you
                      start working on bows.

                      James Cunningham

                      > There are some osage trees around, but so far, I don't know anyone who
                      owns
                      > the land and I'm not going to just start cutting trees down.
                      >
                      > I would like to find some already aged, but again, something tells me I
                      will
                      > have to acquire and age them myself, and it takes what 2 years to let it
                      dry
                      > enough before making?? I will be happy to learn on kiln dried wood and
                      get
                      > the "real" stuff later.
                      >
                      > Thank you all for the input and information.
                      >
                      > Ld James

                      > http://profiles.msn.com
                      >

                      > Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
                      > http://www.MedievalMart.com/

                    • Chad and Erin Wilson
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 3, 2000
                        > For those who are not loggers. The Osage tree is considered to be a
                        > worthless tree by most owners. If you take the time to find the owner and
                        > ask you might be surprised. The best and easyest are in fence rows away
                        > from houses. Do not be surprised when your chainsaw throws sparks when
                        > cutting it. You will also find that two years goes by quickly when you
                        > start working on bows.
                        >
                        > James Cunningham

                        Maybe someday when I have a garage (and thus, a work shop), I'll begin the joy
                        of making a crossbow by hand as well as other bow types.

                        -Caeman of Unicorn
                      • Ctopher069@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 3, 2000
                          THis sounds like its gonna be fun already...

                          Ailgenan

                        • Simon Hondy
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 4, 2000
                            The one concern I have about bow making, is the moisture content of the
                            wood. I have already spent enough money on tools for hobbies. How can I
                            assure the correct moisutre content in a stave or billet, with out spending
                            several hundred dollars more for humidity meters?

                            And my choice of wood for making a bow is locust. Just because i carry
                            enough scars and puncture marks from that tree. It is kind of a get even,
                            or some such feeling. I do know it is a heavier, and slower wood for bows.

                            And for would be bowyers who are limited on space, or like me apartment
                            dwellers, Kustom King, Traditional Archery, and a small Bower shop here in
                            central Illinois, make bow kits.

                            Simon Hondy
                          • elwin@one.net
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 4, 2000
                              --- In SCA-Archery@egroups.com, "paul kaveshan" <pkjdw@h...> wrote:
                              > >From: elwin@o...
                              >
                              > My Lord James sir you live in the best state for bow
                              > >making they have osage and the best boywers start with Jim Hamm
                              > >write to Bois d Arc Press 4 Box 233,Azle Tx ,76020> also stay in
                              touch
                              > > go luck Elwin
                              >
                              > Jim Hamm, as in the Bowyers Bible writer? I didnt know he lived in
                              Texas.
                              > (Guess I should have read the cover) LOL
                              >
                              > There are some osage trees around, but so far, I don't know anyone
                              who owns
                              > the land and I'm not going to just start cutting trees down.
                              >
                              > I would like to find some already aged, but again, something tells
                              me I will
                              > have to acquire and age them myself, and it takes what 2 years to
                              let it dry
                              > enough before making?? I will be happy to learn on kiln dried wood
                              and get
                              > the "real" stuff later.
                              >
                              > Thank you all for the input and information.
                              >
                              > Ld James
                              > Any boyer in the T B B will be glad to get you wood try this
                              primitvearcher.com then go to links Elwin

                            • elwin@one.net
                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 4, 2000
                                --- In SCA-Archery@egroups.com, "Simon Hondy" <scholari@s...> wrote:
                                > The one concern I have about bow making, is the moisture content of
                                the
                                > wood. I have already spent enough money on tools for hobbies. How
                                can I
                                > assure the correct moisutre content in a stave or billet, with out
                                spending
                                > several hundred dollars more for humidity meters?
                                >
                                > And my choice of wood for making a bow is locust. Just because i
                                carry
                                > enough scars and puncture marks from that tree. It is kind of a
                                get even,
                                > or some such feeling. I do know it is a heavier, and slower wood
                                for bows.

                                > And for would be bowyers who are limited on space, or like me
                                apartment
                                > dwellers, Kustom King, Traditional Archery, and a small Bower shop
                                here in
                                > central Illinois, make bow kits.
                                >

                                > Simon Hondy weigh it from the start you can work on why its draying
                              • Francois Leclerc
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 6, 2000
                                  > The one concern I have about bow making, is the moisture content of the
                                  > wood. I have already spent enough money on tools for hobbies. How can I
                                  > assure the correct moisutre content in a stave or billet, with out spending
                                  > several hundred dollars more for humidity meters?

                                  The trick is to weight it at regular intervals and note down its weight. When
                                  the weight stops going down, the staff has stopped drying.
                                • Angus
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 8, 2000
                                    --- "Francois Leclerc" <fleclerc@...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    >> The one concern I have about bow making, is the moisture content of the
                                    >> wood. I have already spent enough money on tools for hobbies. How can I
                                    >> assure the correct moisutre content in a stave or billet, with out spending
                                    >> several hundred dollars more for humidity meters?
                                    >
                                    >The trick is to weight it at regular intervals and note down its weight. When
                                    >the weight stops going down, the staff has stopped drying.

                                    Please note that the above method will _only_ tell you when a stave/billet has stopped drying. There's nothing to tell if the wood is too dry due to low relative humidity in the method described.

                                    IIRC there was a short list somewhere in TBB vol. 1 (4 or 5 entries) of relative humidities and the water content of wood when dried at x%. I don't have my copy at hand, I'll have to check it later.

                                    However, when you know the humidity and start to dry wod the weighing method is excellent for telling when the wood has reached equilibrium.
                                    /Angus.

                                    ==
                                    If you look at the sun without shielding youreyes you'll go blind. If you look at the moon without shielding your eyes you'll become a poet.

                                    Get your own mando cool and totally free email@... address at http://freemail.iamawitch.com today!