Re: [SCA-Archery] Learning bow making

  • paul kaveshan
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
      Greetings Lady Elizabeth

      I live about 2 hours south of you in the Southern region. (Temple)

      Are you going to be at Laurels this weekend? If so, I would love to meet
      and chat some with you.

      >Greetings, Lord James.
      >I am Lady Elizabeth Hawkwood, Central Region Archery
      >Marshal for Ansteorra. I am also an apprentice bowyer
      >to Lord Artair Macmora.
      >
      >Artair and I are co-founders of the Archery Craftsman's
      >Guild of Ansteorra.... and, we love to teach! I am in
      >Fort Worth, where are you?

      Ld James
      Shire of Tempio (Ansteorra)
      Archery marshal
      Chronicler
      Cadet to OEngus of Greymist (Outlands)

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • eric.m.schaffer@sb.com
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
        Ok, since every one else is looking...

        I'm looking for a bow maker who is willing to take on an apprentice in the
        philadelphia area...
      • INEZ ADAMS
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
          where do you live in Texas it's a big state.

          Ldy Innes
        • paul kaveshan
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
            Greetings Ldy Innes

            I live in a wonderful little shire called Tempio. (Temple) Its about 2 hours
            south of DFW, 1 hour north of Austin on I35. The Laurels event is going to
            be held here this weekend. I am going to be there. I will be looking for
            all those who are doing period arrows and bows, and picking brains. 8-)

            Hope to see you all there.

            Ld James

            >From: INEZ ADAMS <ldyinnes@...>
            >To: SCA-Archery@egroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Learning bow making
            >Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 14:56:16 -0600
            >
            >where do you live in Texas it's a big state.
            >
            >Ldy Innes

            http://profiles.msn.com
          • INEZ ADAMS
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
              UNFORTHNATELY NO I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ATTEND. I WAS GOING TO PUT YOU IN
              TOUCH
              WITH LDY ELIZABETH HAWKWOOD HOWEVER I SEE THAT SHE HAS ALREADY CONTACTED
              YOU.

              HAVE FUN THIS WEEKEND AND THINK OF THOSE WHO SIT AT HOME AND WAIT.

              LDY INNES
            • Rick Shreve
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
                I am not in the Cincinnati area but would like to
                know if there are any bowyers in the Arizona area.

                Griffith

                --- elwin@... wrote:
                > Hello from Elwin
                > Is there any one out there who is interested in
                > learning the fine
                > art of bow making and arrows in the Cincinnati Oh
                > area.
                > I am looking for apprentice in my home no
                > $$$$$$$$$$$$ but you by
                > your own wood for your self we have all the tools
                > and books for you to
                > learn
                > Hoping to hear from you
                > in service of my dream
                > to see wooding
                > bows in the S C A
                >
                > Lodr Elwin the Bowman

                From homework help to love advice, Yahoo! Experts has your answer.
                http://experts.yahoo.com/
              • elwin@one.net
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 3, 2000
                  --- In SCA-Archery@egroups.com, "paul kaveshan" <pkjdw@h...> wrote:
                  > I am interested in learning bow making. But I live in Texas.
                  >
                  > Are there any bow makers in Texas who would like to teach??
                  >
                  > Ld James My Lord James sir you live in the best state for bow
                  making they have osage and the best boywers start with Jim Hamm
                  write to Bois d Arc Press 4 Box 233,Azle Tx ,76020> also stay in touch
                  go luck Elwin

                  > > Hello from Elwin
                  > > Is there any one out there who is interested in learning the
                  fine
                  > >art of bow making and arrows in the Cincinnati Oh area.
                  > >I am looking for apprentice in my home no $$$$$$$$$$$$ but you by
                  > >your own wood for your self we have all the tools and books for
                  you to
                  > >learn
                  > > Hoping to hear from you
                  > > in service of my dream to see wooding
                  > > bows in the S C A
                  > > Lodr Elwin the Bowman

                  http://www.hotmail.com

                  > http://profiles.msn.com
                • paul kaveshan
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 3, 2000
                    >From: elwin@...

                    My Lord James sir you live in the best state for bow
                    >making they have osage and the best boywers start with Jim Hamm
                    >write to Bois d Arc Press 4 Box 233,Azle Tx ,76020> also stay in touch
                    > go luck Elwin

                    Jim Hamm, as in the Bowyers Bible writer? I didnt know he lived in Texas.
                    (Guess I should have read the cover) LOL

                    There are some osage trees around, but so far, I don't know anyone who owns
                    the land and I'm not going to just start cutting trees down.

                    I would like to find some already aged, but again, something tells me I will
                    have to acquire and age them myself, and it takes what 2 years to let it dry
                    enough before making?? I will be happy to learn on kiln dried wood and get
                    the "real" stuff later.

                    Thank you all for the input and information.

                    Ld James

                    http://profiles.msn.com
                  • Rhonda New
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 3, 2000
                      paul kaveshan wrote:

                      > I would like to find some already aged, but again, something tells me I will
                      > have to acquire and age them myself, and it takes what 2 years to let it dry
                      > enough before making?? I will be happy to learn on kiln dried wood and get
                      > the "real" stuff later.
                      >
                      > Thank you all for the input and information.
                      >
                      > Ld James

                      I've got several staves already cured and ready to start workin on.

                      But, you ain't lived 'til you've cut down a bois d'arc (osage) tree,
                      split it, and lived to tell about it! Comparing blisters is cool....
                      And most land owners are glad to have their bois d'arc trees
                      removed... just prepared to remove all of it, small limbs, stump,
                      etc, as well as the parts you're going to use.

                      Three months is about enough curing - you still need a little
                      moisture in the wood.

                      I will not be at Laurel's Prize; however, I will most likely be
                      at Three Kings.

                      Cell phone number is 817-456-8599 (Sat & Sun)
                      Work number is 817-509-3403 (8 - 5)
                      The rest of the time, I'm in school (6-11 PM)

                      /Ly Elizabeth Hawkwood
                    • James W. Pratt Jr.
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 3, 2000
                        For those who are not loggers. The Osage tree is considered to be a
                        worthless tree by most owners. If you take the time to find the owner and
                        ask you might be surprised. The best and easyest are in fence rows away
                        from houses. Do not be surprised when your chainsaw throws sparks when
                        cutting it. You will also find that two years goes by quickly when you
                        start working on bows.

                        James Cunningham

                        > There are some osage trees around, but so far, I don't know anyone who
                        owns
                        > the land and I'm not going to just start cutting trees down.
                        >
                        > I would like to find some already aged, but again, something tells me I
                        will
                        > have to acquire and age them myself, and it takes what 2 years to let it
                        dry
                        > enough before making?? I will be happy to learn on kiln dried wood and
                        get
                        > the "real" stuff later.
                        >
                        > Thank you all for the input and information.
                        >
                        > Ld James

                        > http://profiles.msn.com
                        >

                        > Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
                        > http://www.MedievalMart.com/

                      • Chad and Erin Wilson
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 3, 2000
                          > For those who are not loggers. The Osage tree is considered to be a
                          > worthless tree by most owners. If you take the time to find the owner and
                          > ask you might be surprised. The best and easyest are in fence rows away
                          > from houses. Do not be surprised when your chainsaw throws sparks when
                          > cutting it. You will also find that two years goes by quickly when you
                          > start working on bows.
                          >
                          > James Cunningham

                          Maybe someday when I have a garage (and thus, a work shop), I'll begin the joy
                          of making a crossbow by hand as well as other bow types.

                          -Caeman of Unicorn
                        • Ctopher069@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 3, 2000
                            THis sounds like its gonna be fun already...

                            Ailgenan

                          • Simon Hondy
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 4, 2000
                              The one concern I have about bow making, is the moisture content of the
                              wood. I have already spent enough money on tools for hobbies. How can I
                              assure the correct moisutre content in a stave or billet, with out spending
                              several hundred dollars more for humidity meters?

                              And my choice of wood for making a bow is locust. Just because i carry
                              enough scars and puncture marks from that tree. It is kind of a get even,
                              or some such feeling. I do know it is a heavier, and slower wood for bows.

                              And for would be bowyers who are limited on space, or like me apartment
                              dwellers, Kustom King, Traditional Archery, and a small Bower shop here in
                              central Illinois, make bow kits.

                              Simon Hondy
                            • elwin@one.net
                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 4, 2000
                                --- In SCA-Archery@egroups.com, "paul kaveshan" <pkjdw@h...> wrote:
                                > >From: elwin@o...
                                >
                                > My Lord James sir you live in the best state for bow
                                > >making they have osage and the best boywers start with Jim Hamm
                                > >write to Bois d Arc Press 4 Box 233,Azle Tx ,76020> also stay in
                                touch
                                > > go luck Elwin
                                >
                                > Jim Hamm, as in the Bowyers Bible writer? I didnt know he lived in
                                Texas.
                                > (Guess I should have read the cover) LOL
                                >
                                > There are some osage trees around, but so far, I don't know anyone
                                who owns
                                > the land and I'm not going to just start cutting trees down.
                                >
                                > I would like to find some already aged, but again, something tells
                                me I will
                                > have to acquire and age them myself, and it takes what 2 years to
                                let it dry
                                > enough before making?? I will be happy to learn on kiln dried wood
                                and get
                                > the "real" stuff later.
                                >
                                > Thank you all for the input and information.
                                >
                                > Ld James
                                > Any boyer in the T B B will be glad to get you wood try this
                                primitvearcher.com then go to links Elwin

                              • elwin@one.net
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 4, 2000
                                  --- In SCA-Archery@egroups.com, "Simon Hondy" <scholari@s...> wrote:
                                  > The one concern I have about bow making, is the moisture content of
                                  the
                                  > wood. I have already spent enough money on tools for hobbies. How
                                  can I
                                  > assure the correct moisutre content in a stave or billet, with out
                                  spending
                                  > several hundred dollars more for humidity meters?
                                  >
                                  > And my choice of wood for making a bow is locust. Just because i
                                  carry
                                  > enough scars and puncture marks from that tree. It is kind of a
                                  get even,
                                  > or some such feeling. I do know it is a heavier, and slower wood
                                  for bows.

                                  > And for would be bowyers who are limited on space, or like me
                                  apartment
                                  > dwellers, Kustom King, Traditional Archery, and a small Bower shop
                                  here in
                                  > central Illinois, make bow kits.
                                  >

                                  > Simon Hondy weigh it from the start you can work on why its draying
                                • Francois Leclerc
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 6, 2000
                                    > The one concern I have about bow making, is the moisture content of the
                                    > wood. I have already spent enough money on tools for hobbies. How can I
                                    > assure the correct moisutre content in a stave or billet, with out spending
                                    > several hundred dollars more for humidity meters?

                                    The trick is to weight it at regular intervals and note down its weight. When
                                    the weight stops going down, the staff has stopped drying.
                                  • Angus
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 8, 2000
                                      --- "Francois Leclerc" <fleclerc@...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      >> The one concern I have about bow making, is the moisture content of the
                                      >> wood. I have already spent enough money on tools for hobbies. How can I
                                      >> assure the correct moisutre content in a stave or billet, with out spending
                                      >> several hundred dollars more for humidity meters?
                                      >
                                      >The trick is to weight it at regular intervals and note down its weight. When
                                      >the weight stops going down, the staff has stopped drying.

                                      Please note that the above method will _only_ tell you when a stave/billet has stopped drying. There's nothing to tell if the wood is too dry due to low relative humidity in the method described.

                                      IIRC there was a short list somewhere in TBB vol. 1 (4 or 5 entries) of relative humidities and the water content of wood when dried at x%. I don't have my copy at hand, I'll have to check it later.

                                      However, when you know the humidity and start to dry wod the weighing method is excellent for telling when the wood has reached equilibrium.
                                      /Angus.

                                      ==
                                      If you look at the sun without shielding youreyes you'll go blind. If you look at the moon without shielding your eyes you'll become a poet.

                                      Get your own mando cool and totally free email@... address at http://freemail.iamawitch.com today!