Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Learning bow making

  • Scott Lane
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
      >So how far is Cincinatti from Pittsburgh, in the real world? I have
      >a rather specialized interest( self crossbow prods, leading to actual
      >horn, wood, and sinew composite prods), but I enjoy woodworking and
      >have used a drawknife a bit.

      Oh, a good 4 to 5 hours depending on the day. But hey, that's
      what we spend going to Pennsic :)

      In Service,
      Lord Aodhfin Seibert

    • paul kaveshan
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
        Greetings Lady Elizabeth

        I live about 2 hours south of you in the Southern region. (Temple)

        Are you going to be at Laurels this weekend? If so, I would love to meet
        and chat some with you.

        >Greetings, Lord James.
        >I am Lady Elizabeth Hawkwood, Central Region Archery
        >Marshal for Ansteorra. I am also an apprentice bowyer
        >to Lord Artair Macmora.
        >
        >Artair and I are co-founders of the Archery Craftsman's
        >Guild of Ansteorra.... and, we love to teach! I am in
        >Fort Worth, where are you?

        Ld James
        Shire of Tempio (Ansteorra)
        Archery marshal
        Chronicler
        Cadet to OEngus of Greymist (Outlands)

        http://profiles.msn.com
      • eric.m.schaffer@sb.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
          Ok, since every one else is looking...

          I'm looking for a bow maker who is willing to take on an apprentice in the
          philadelphia area...
        • INEZ ADAMS
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
            where do you live in Texas it's a big state.

            Ldy Innes
          • paul kaveshan
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
              Greetings Ldy Innes

              I live in a wonderful little shire called Tempio. (Temple) Its about 2 hours
              south of DFW, 1 hour north of Austin on I35. The Laurels event is going to
              be held here this weekend. I am going to be there. I will be looking for
              all those who are doing period arrows and bows, and picking brains. 8-)

              Hope to see you all there.

              Ld James

              >From: INEZ ADAMS <ldyinnes@...>
              >To: SCA-Archery@egroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Learning bow making
              >Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 14:56:16 -0600
              >
              >where do you live in Texas it's a big state.
              >
              >Ldy Innes

              http://profiles.msn.com
            • INEZ ADAMS
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
                UNFORTHNATELY NO I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ATTEND. I WAS GOING TO PUT YOU IN
                TOUCH
                WITH LDY ELIZABETH HAWKWOOD HOWEVER I SEE THAT SHE HAS ALREADY CONTACTED
                YOU.

                HAVE FUN THIS WEEKEND AND THINK OF THOSE WHO SIT AT HOME AND WAIT.

                LDY INNES
              • Rick Shreve
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
                  I am not in the Cincinnati area but would like to
                  know if there are any bowyers in the Arizona area.

                  Griffith

                  --- elwin@... wrote:
                  > Hello from Elwin
                  > Is there any one out there who is interested in
                  > learning the fine
                  > art of bow making and arrows in the Cincinnati Oh
                  > area.
                  > I am looking for apprentice in my home no
                  > $$$$$$$$$$$$ but you by
                  > your own wood for your self we have all the tools
                  > and books for you to
                  > learn
                  > Hoping to hear from you
                  > in service of my dream
                  > to see wooding
                  > bows in the S C A
                  >
                  > Lodr Elwin the Bowman

                  From homework help to love advice, Yahoo! Experts has your answer.
                  http://experts.yahoo.com/
                • elwin@one.net
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 3, 2000
                    --- In SCA-Archery@egroups.com, "paul kaveshan" <pkjdw@h...> wrote:
                    > I am interested in learning bow making. But I live in Texas.
                    >
                    > Are there any bow makers in Texas who would like to teach??
                    >
                    > Ld James My Lord James sir you live in the best state for bow
                    making they have osage and the best boywers start with Jim Hamm
                    write to Bois d Arc Press 4 Box 233,Azle Tx ,76020> also stay in touch
                    go luck Elwin

                    > > Hello from Elwin
                    > > Is there any one out there who is interested in learning the
                    fine
                    > >art of bow making and arrows in the Cincinnati Oh area.
                    > >I am looking for apprentice in my home no $$$$$$$$$$$$ but you by
                    > >your own wood for your self we have all the tools and books for
                    you to
                    > >learn
                    > > Hoping to hear from you
                    > > in service of my dream to see wooding
                    > > bows in the S C A
                    > > Lodr Elwin the Bowman

                    http://www.hotmail.com

                    > http://profiles.msn.com
                  • paul kaveshan
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 3, 2000
                      >From: elwin@...

                      My Lord James sir you live in the best state for bow
                      >making they have osage and the best boywers start with Jim Hamm
                      >write to Bois d Arc Press 4 Box 233,Azle Tx ,76020> also stay in touch
                      > go luck Elwin

                      Jim Hamm, as in the Bowyers Bible writer? I didnt know he lived in Texas.
                      (Guess I should have read the cover) LOL

                      There are some osage trees around, but so far, I don't know anyone who owns
                      the land and I'm not going to just start cutting trees down.

                      I would like to find some already aged, but again, something tells me I will
                      have to acquire and age them myself, and it takes what 2 years to let it dry
                      enough before making?? I will be happy to learn on kiln dried wood and get
                      the "real" stuff later.

                      Thank you all for the input and information.

                      Ld James

                      http://profiles.msn.com
                    • Rhonda New
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 3, 2000
                        paul kaveshan wrote:

                        > I would like to find some already aged, but again, something tells me I will
                        > have to acquire and age them myself, and it takes what 2 years to let it dry
                        > enough before making?? I will be happy to learn on kiln dried wood and get
                        > the "real" stuff later.
                        >
                        > Thank you all for the input and information.
                        >
                        > Ld James

                        I've got several staves already cured and ready to start workin on.

                        But, you ain't lived 'til you've cut down a bois d'arc (osage) tree,
                        split it, and lived to tell about it! Comparing blisters is cool....
                        And most land owners are glad to have their bois d'arc trees
                        removed... just prepared to remove all of it, small limbs, stump,
                        etc, as well as the parts you're going to use.

                        Three months is about enough curing - you still need a little
                        moisture in the wood.

                        I will not be at Laurel's Prize; however, I will most likely be
                        at Three Kings.

                        Cell phone number is 817-456-8599 (Sat & Sun)
                        Work number is 817-509-3403 (8 - 5)
                        The rest of the time, I'm in school (6-11 PM)

                        /Ly Elizabeth Hawkwood
                      • James W. Pratt Jr.
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 3, 2000
                          For those who are not loggers. The Osage tree is considered to be a
                          worthless tree by most owners. If you take the time to find the owner and
                          ask you might be surprised. The best and easyest are in fence rows away
                          from houses. Do not be surprised when your chainsaw throws sparks when
                          cutting it. You will also find that two years goes by quickly when you
                          start working on bows.

                          James Cunningham

                          > There are some osage trees around, but so far, I don't know anyone who
                          owns
                          > the land and I'm not going to just start cutting trees down.
                          >
                          > I would like to find some already aged, but again, something tells me I
                          will
                          > have to acquire and age them myself, and it takes what 2 years to let it
                          dry
                          > enough before making?? I will be happy to learn on kiln dried wood and
                          get
                          > the "real" stuff later.
                          >
                          > Thank you all for the input and information.
                          >
                          > Ld James

                          > http://profiles.msn.com
                          >

                          > Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
                          > http://www.MedievalMart.com/

                        • Chad and Erin Wilson
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 3, 2000
                            > For those who are not loggers. The Osage tree is considered to be a
                            > worthless tree by most owners. If you take the time to find the owner and
                            > ask you might be surprised. The best and easyest are in fence rows away
                            > from houses. Do not be surprised when your chainsaw throws sparks when
                            > cutting it. You will also find that two years goes by quickly when you
                            > start working on bows.
                            >
                            > James Cunningham

                            Maybe someday when I have a garage (and thus, a work shop), I'll begin the joy
                            of making a crossbow by hand as well as other bow types.

                            -Caeman of Unicorn
                          • Ctopher069@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 3, 2000
                              THis sounds like its gonna be fun already...

                              Ailgenan

                            • Simon Hondy
                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 4, 2000
                                The one concern I have about bow making, is the moisture content of the
                                wood. I have already spent enough money on tools for hobbies. How can I
                                assure the correct moisutre content in a stave or billet, with out spending
                                several hundred dollars more for humidity meters?

                                And my choice of wood for making a bow is locust. Just because i carry
                                enough scars and puncture marks from that tree. It is kind of a get even,
                                or some such feeling. I do know it is a heavier, and slower wood for bows.

                                And for would be bowyers who are limited on space, or like me apartment
                                dwellers, Kustom King, Traditional Archery, and a small Bower shop here in
                                central Illinois, make bow kits.

                                Simon Hondy
                              • elwin@one.net
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 4, 2000
                                  --- In SCA-Archery@egroups.com, "paul kaveshan" <pkjdw@h...> wrote:
                                  > >From: elwin@o...
                                  >
                                  > My Lord James sir you live in the best state for bow
                                  > >making they have osage and the best boywers start with Jim Hamm
                                  > >write to Bois d Arc Press 4 Box 233,Azle Tx ,76020> also stay in
                                  touch
                                  > > go luck Elwin
                                  >
                                  > Jim Hamm, as in the Bowyers Bible writer? I didnt know he lived in
                                  Texas.
                                  > (Guess I should have read the cover) LOL
                                  >
                                  > There are some osage trees around, but so far, I don't know anyone
                                  who owns
                                  > the land and I'm not going to just start cutting trees down.
                                  >
                                  > I would like to find some already aged, but again, something tells
                                  me I will
                                  > have to acquire and age them myself, and it takes what 2 years to
                                  let it dry
                                  > enough before making?? I will be happy to learn on kiln dried wood
                                  and get
                                  > the "real" stuff later.
                                  >
                                  > Thank you all for the input and information.
                                  >
                                  > Ld James
                                  > Any boyer in the T B B will be glad to get you wood try this
                                  primitvearcher.com then go to links Elwin

                                • elwin@one.net
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 4, 2000
                                    --- In SCA-Archery@egroups.com, "Simon Hondy" <scholari@s...> wrote:
                                    > The one concern I have about bow making, is the moisture content of
                                    the
                                    > wood. I have already spent enough money on tools for hobbies. How
                                    can I
                                    > assure the correct moisutre content in a stave or billet, with out
                                    spending
                                    > several hundred dollars more for humidity meters?
                                    >
                                    > And my choice of wood for making a bow is locust. Just because i
                                    carry
                                    > enough scars and puncture marks from that tree. It is kind of a
                                    get even,
                                    > or some such feeling. I do know it is a heavier, and slower wood
                                    for bows.

                                    > And for would be bowyers who are limited on space, or like me
                                    apartment
                                    > dwellers, Kustom King, Traditional Archery, and a small Bower shop
                                    here in
                                    > central Illinois, make bow kits.
                                    >

                                    > Simon Hondy weigh it from the start you can work on why its draying
                                  • Francois Leclerc
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 6, 2000
                                      > The one concern I have about bow making, is the moisture content of the
                                      > wood. I have already spent enough money on tools for hobbies. How can I
                                      > assure the correct moisutre content in a stave or billet, with out spending
                                      > several hundred dollars more for humidity meters?

                                      The trick is to weight it at regular intervals and note down its weight. When
                                      the weight stops going down, the staff has stopped drying.
                                    • Angus
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Nov 8, 2000
                                        --- "Francois Leclerc" <fleclerc@...>
                                        > wrote:
                                        >> The one concern I have about bow making, is the moisture content of the
                                        >> wood. I have already spent enough money on tools for hobbies. How can I
                                        >> assure the correct moisutre content in a stave or billet, with out spending
                                        >> several hundred dollars more for humidity meters?
                                        >
                                        >The trick is to weight it at regular intervals and note down its weight. When
                                        >the weight stops going down, the staff has stopped drying.

                                        Please note that the above method will _only_ tell you when a stave/billet has stopped drying. There's nothing to tell if the wood is too dry due to low relative humidity in the method described.

                                        IIRC there was a short list somewhere in TBB vol. 1 (4 or 5 entries) of relative humidities and the water content of wood when dried at x%. I don't have my copy at hand, I'll have to check it later.

                                        However, when you know the humidity and start to dry wod the weighing method is excellent for telling when the wood has reached equilibrium.
                                        /Angus.

                                        ==
                                        If you look at the sun without shielding youreyes you'll go blind. If you look at the moon without shielding your eyes you'll become a poet.

                                        Get your own mando cool and totally free email@... address at http://freemail.iamawitch.com today!