Re: [SCA-Archery] Learning bow making

  • Hjalmar Brandenburg
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
      And I live in Ontario Canada. Are there any north of the border!

      Ulvar

      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
        now if you were in the dfw texas area i would take ya up on that offer

      • Ctopher069@aol.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
          where in ft.worth are you . I am in granbury not far from ther and would like
          to learn how to make bows

          Ailgenan

        • RJ Bachner
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
            Why could you not live in my area My lord? I have sought for a master to apprentice to for many
            years.

            Lord Ragi

            On Thu, 02 Nov 2000 14:26:48 -0000, you, with reckless abandon, wrote:

            > Hello from Elwin
            > Is there any one out there who is interested in learning the fine
            >art of bow making and arrows in the Cincinnati Oh area.
            >I am looking for apprentice in my home no $$$$$$$$$$$$ but you by
            >your own wood for your self we have all the tools and books for you to
            >learn
          • Scott Lane
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
              >So how far is Cincinatti from Pittsburgh, in the real world? I have
              >a rather specialized interest( self crossbow prods, leading to actual
              >horn, wood, and sinew composite prods), but I enjoy woodworking and
              >have used a drawknife a bit.

              Oh, a good 4 to 5 hours depending on the day. But hey, that's
              what we spend going to Pennsic :)

              In Service,
              Lord Aodhfin Seibert

            • paul kaveshan
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
                Greetings Lady Elizabeth

                I live about 2 hours south of you in the Southern region. (Temple)

                Are you going to be at Laurels this weekend? If so, I would love to meet
                and chat some with you.

                >Greetings, Lord James.
                >I am Lady Elizabeth Hawkwood, Central Region Archery
                >Marshal for Ansteorra. I am also an apprentice bowyer
                >to Lord Artair Macmora.
                >
                >Artair and I are co-founders of the Archery Craftsman's
                >Guild of Ansteorra.... and, we love to teach! I am in
                >Fort Worth, where are you?

                Ld James
                Shire of Tempio (Ansteorra)
                Archery marshal
                Chronicler
                Cadet to OEngus of Greymist (Outlands)

                http://profiles.msn.com
              • eric.m.schaffer@sb.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
                  Ok, since every one else is looking...

                  I'm looking for a bow maker who is willing to take on an apprentice in the
                  philadelphia area...
                • INEZ ADAMS
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
                    where do you live in Texas it's a big state.

                    Ldy Innes
                  • paul kaveshan
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
                      Greetings Ldy Innes

                      I live in a wonderful little shire called Tempio. (Temple) Its about 2 hours
                      south of DFW, 1 hour north of Austin on I35. The Laurels event is going to
                      be held here this weekend. I am going to be there. I will be looking for
                      all those who are doing period arrows and bows, and picking brains. 8-)

                      Hope to see you all there.

                      Ld James

                      >From: INEZ ADAMS <ldyinnes@...>
                      >To: SCA-Archery@egroups.com
                      >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Learning bow making
                      >Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 14:56:16 -0600
                      >
                      >where do you live in Texas it's a big state.
                      >
                      >Ldy Innes

                      http://profiles.msn.com
                    • INEZ ADAMS
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
                        UNFORTHNATELY NO I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ATTEND. I WAS GOING TO PUT YOU IN
                        TOUCH
                        WITH LDY ELIZABETH HAWKWOOD HOWEVER I SEE THAT SHE HAS ALREADY CONTACTED
                        YOU.

                        HAVE FUN THIS WEEKEND AND THINK OF THOSE WHO SIT AT HOME AND WAIT.

                        LDY INNES
                      • Rick Shreve
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 2, 2000
                          I am not in the Cincinnati area but would like to
                          know if there are any bowyers in the Arizona area.

                          Griffith

                          --- elwin@... wrote:
                          > Hello from Elwin
                          > Is there any one out there who is interested in
                          > learning the fine
                          > art of bow making and arrows in the Cincinnati Oh
                          > area.
                          > I am looking for apprentice in my home no
                          > $$$$$$$$$$$$ but you by
                          > your own wood for your self we have all the tools
                          > and books for you to
                          > learn
                          > Hoping to hear from you
                          > in service of my dream
                          > to see wooding
                          > bows in the S C A
                          >
                          > Lodr Elwin the Bowman

                          From homework help to love advice, Yahoo! Experts has your answer.
                          http://experts.yahoo.com/
                        • elwin@one.net
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 3, 2000
                            --- In SCA-Archery@egroups.com, "paul kaveshan" <pkjdw@h...> wrote:
                            > I am interested in learning bow making. But I live in Texas.
                            >
                            > Are there any bow makers in Texas who would like to teach??
                            >
                            > Ld James My Lord James sir you live in the best state for bow
                            making they have osage and the best boywers start with Jim Hamm
                            write to Bois d Arc Press 4 Box 233,Azle Tx ,76020> also stay in touch
                            go luck Elwin

                            > > Hello from Elwin
                            > > Is there any one out there who is interested in learning the
                            fine
                            > >art of bow making and arrows in the Cincinnati Oh area.
                            > >I am looking for apprentice in my home no $$$$$$$$$$$$ but you by
                            > >your own wood for your self we have all the tools and books for
                            you to
                            > >learn
                            > > Hoping to hear from you
                            > > in service of my dream to see wooding
                            > > bows in the S C A
                            > > Lodr Elwin the Bowman

                            http://www.hotmail.com

                            > http://profiles.msn.com
                          • paul kaveshan
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 3, 2000
                              >From: elwin@...

                              My Lord James sir you live in the best state for bow
                              >making they have osage and the best boywers start with Jim Hamm
                              >write to Bois d Arc Press 4 Box 233,Azle Tx ,76020> also stay in touch
                              > go luck Elwin

                              Jim Hamm, as in the Bowyers Bible writer? I didnt know he lived in Texas.
                              (Guess I should have read the cover) LOL

                              There are some osage trees around, but so far, I don't know anyone who owns
                              the land and I'm not going to just start cutting trees down.

                              I would like to find some already aged, but again, something tells me I will
                              have to acquire and age them myself, and it takes what 2 years to let it dry
                              enough before making?? I will be happy to learn on kiln dried wood and get
                              the "real" stuff later.

                              Thank you all for the input and information.

                              Ld James

                              http://profiles.msn.com
                            • Rhonda New
                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 3, 2000
                                paul kaveshan wrote:

                                > I would like to find some already aged, but again, something tells me I will
                                > have to acquire and age them myself, and it takes what 2 years to let it dry
                                > enough before making?? I will be happy to learn on kiln dried wood and get
                                > the "real" stuff later.
                                >
                                > Thank you all for the input and information.
                                >
                                > Ld James

                                I've got several staves already cured and ready to start workin on.

                                But, you ain't lived 'til you've cut down a bois d'arc (osage) tree,
                                split it, and lived to tell about it! Comparing blisters is cool....
                                And most land owners are glad to have their bois d'arc trees
                                removed... just prepared to remove all of it, small limbs, stump,
                                etc, as well as the parts you're going to use.

                                Three months is about enough curing - you still need a little
                                moisture in the wood.

                                I will not be at Laurel's Prize; however, I will most likely be
                                at Three Kings.

                                Cell phone number is 817-456-8599 (Sat & Sun)
                                Work number is 817-509-3403 (8 - 5)
                                The rest of the time, I'm in school (6-11 PM)

                                /Ly Elizabeth Hawkwood
                              • James W. Pratt Jr.
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 3, 2000
                                  For those who are not loggers. The Osage tree is considered to be a
                                  worthless tree by most owners. If you take the time to find the owner and
                                  ask you might be surprised. The best and easyest are in fence rows away
                                  from houses. Do not be surprised when your chainsaw throws sparks when
                                  cutting it. You will also find that two years goes by quickly when you
                                  start working on bows.

                                  James Cunningham

                                  > There are some osage trees around, but so far, I don't know anyone who
                                  owns
                                  > the land and I'm not going to just start cutting trees down.
                                  >
                                  > I would like to find some already aged, but again, something tells me I
                                  will
                                  > have to acquire and age them myself, and it takes what 2 years to let it
                                  dry
                                  > enough before making?? I will be happy to learn on kiln dried wood and
                                  get
                                  > the "real" stuff later.
                                  >
                                  > Thank you all for the input and information.
                                  >
                                  > Ld James

                                  > http://profiles.msn.com
                                  >

                                  > Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
                                  > http://www.MedievalMart.com/

                                • Chad and Erin Wilson
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 3, 2000
                                    > For those who are not loggers. The Osage tree is considered to be a
                                    > worthless tree by most owners. If you take the time to find the owner and
                                    > ask you might be surprised. The best and easyest are in fence rows away
                                    > from houses. Do not be surprised when your chainsaw throws sparks when
                                    > cutting it. You will also find that two years goes by quickly when you
                                    > start working on bows.
                                    >
                                    > James Cunningham

                                    Maybe someday when I have a garage (and thus, a work shop), I'll begin the joy
                                    of making a crossbow by hand as well as other bow types.

                                    -Caeman of Unicorn
                                  • Ctopher069@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 3, 2000
                                      THis sounds like its gonna be fun already...

                                      Ailgenan

                                    • Simon Hondy
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Nov 4, 2000
                                        The one concern I have about bow making, is the moisture content of the
                                        wood. I have already spent enough money on tools for hobbies. How can I
                                        assure the correct moisutre content in a stave or billet, with out spending
                                        several hundred dollars more for humidity meters?

                                        And my choice of wood for making a bow is locust. Just because i carry
                                        enough scars and puncture marks from that tree. It is kind of a get even,
                                        or some such feeling. I do know it is a heavier, and slower wood for bows.

                                        And for would be bowyers who are limited on space, or like me apartment
                                        dwellers, Kustom King, Traditional Archery, and a small Bower shop here in
                                        central Illinois, make bow kits.

                                        Simon Hondy
                                      • elwin@one.net
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Nov 4, 2000
                                          --- In SCA-Archery@egroups.com, "paul kaveshan" <pkjdw@h...> wrote:
                                          > >From: elwin@o...
                                          >
                                          > My Lord James sir you live in the best state for bow
                                          > >making they have osage and the best boywers start with Jim Hamm
                                          > >write to Bois d Arc Press 4 Box 233,Azle Tx ,76020> also stay in
                                          touch
                                          > > go luck Elwin
                                          >
                                          > Jim Hamm, as in the Bowyers Bible writer? I didnt know he lived in
                                          Texas.
                                          > (Guess I should have read the cover) LOL
                                          >
                                          > There are some osage trees around, but so far, I don't know anyone
                                          who owns
                                          > the land and I'm not going to just start cutting trees down.
                                          >
                                          > I would like to find some already aged, but again, something tells
                                          me I will
                                          > have to acquire and age them myself, and it takes what 2 years to
                                          let it dry
                                          > enough before making?? I will be happy to learn on kiln dried wood
                                          and get
                                          > the "real" stuff later.
                                          >
                                          > Thank you all for the input and information.
                                          >
                                          > Ld James
                                          > Any boyer in the T B B will be glad to get you wood try this
                                          primitvearcher.com then go to links Elwin

                                        • elwin@one.net
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Nov 4, 2000
                                            --- In SCA-Archery@egroups.com, "Simon Hondy" <scholari@s...> wrote:
                                            > The one concern I have about bow making, is the moisture content of
                                            the
                                            > wood. I have already spent enough money on tools for hobbies. How
                                            can I
                                            > assure the correct moisutre content in a stave or billet, with out
                                            spending
                                            > several hundred dollars more for humidity meters?
                                            >
                                            > And my choice of wood for making a bow is locust. Just because i
                                            carry
                                            > enough scars and puncture marks from that tree. It is kind of a
                                            get even,
                                            > or some such feeling. I do know it is a heavier, and slower wood
                                            for bows.

                                            > And for would be bowyers who are limited on space, or like me
                                            apartment
                                            > dwellers, Kustom King, Traditional Archery, and a small Bower shop
                                            here in
                                            > central Illinois, make bow kits.
                                            >

                                            > Simon Hondy weigh it from the start you can work on why its draying
                                          • Francois Leclerc
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Nov 6, 2000
                                              > The one concern I have about bow making, is the moisture content of the
                                              > wood. I have already spent enough money on tools for hobbies. How can I
                                              > assure the correct moisutre content in a stave or billet, with out spending
                                              > several hundred dollars more for humidity meters?

                                              The trick is to weight it at regular intervals and note down its weight. When
                                              the weight stops going down, the staff has stopped drying.
                                            • Angus
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Nov 8, 2000
                                                --- "Francois Leclerc" <fleclerc@...>
                                                > wrote:
                                                >> The one concern I have about bow making, is the moisture content of the
                                                >> wood. I have already spent enough money on tools for hobbies. How can I
                                                >> assure the correct moisutre content in a stave or billet, with out spending
                                                >> several hundred dollars more for humidity meters?
                                                >
                                                >The trick is to weight it at regular intervals and note down its weight. When
                                                >the weight stops going down, the staff has stopped drying.

                                                Please note that the above method will _only_ tell you when a stave/billet has stopped drying. There's nothing to tell if the wood is too dry due to low relative humidity in the method described.

                                                IIRC there was a short list somewhere in TBB vol. 1 (4 or 5 entries) of relative humidities and the water content of wood when dried at x%. I don't have my copy at hand, I'll have to check it later.

                                                However, when you know the humidity and start to dry wod the weighing method is excellent for telling when the wood has reached equilibrium.
                                                /Angus.

                                                ==
                                                If you look at the sun without shielding youreyes you'll go blind. If you look at the moon without shielding your eyes you'll become a poet.

                                                Get your own mando cool and totally free email@... address at http://freemail.iamawitch.com today!