Re: Kyudo

  • Anthony J. Bryant
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2000
      Lady Jehanne de Wodeford
      wrote:

      > A gentleman in my shire purchased a yumi at Pennsic
      > and wants to learn Kyudo. Unfortunately, he has been
      > unable to find a dojo in our area (Northern NJ) and
      > has asked me to help him. He found some good books
      > through Asahi America, but if there is anyone on the
      > list who knows where we can get more information on
      > the practice of Japanese archery, please let me know.

      I wish I could help.

      I do kyudo, and the dojo (that I've not been to forever, sadly) I was at is near
      Indianapolis.

      Do you think anyone would be interested in a kyudo workshop at Pennsic?

      Effingham
    • Marko Peussa
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 13, 2002
        Hello,

        First of all, there are several varieties of the 'modern' kyudo glove, the
        most notable differences are the number of fingers and the angle of the
        groove at the base of the thumb relative to the axis of the thumb. There are
        different gloves for long distance shooting, shooting from horseback, and
        for target shooting, in which there are at least two varieties, the Japanese
        kyudo federation glove and the original Heki glove. However, the glove with
        wooden thumb protection dates back to at least 18th century, and is probably
        much older. Unfortunately, I cannot give you a date.

        For war shooting, you can just tape a piece of leather around your thumb, or
        put some tape around your thumb. This is how the Heki Ryu Insai Ha war
        shooting demostrations were done here in Finland, so I guess the original
        war shooting glove is not too complicated either. Have a look at the link:

        http://www.kolumbus.fi/fikyfe/photogallery/koshi1.html

        For a sample glove, try contacting Ogasawara Ryu for horseback shooting
        (yabusame), or Koyama Kyugu for footsoldier shooting (koshiya). They should
        be able to put you in contact to the Japanese glove makers. You can find
        both by using Google. There is also Satsuma Heki Ryu that does footsoldier
        archery, but they are not on the net and I don't have their address.

        As you are probably aware, the hold (torikake) of the string is different
        with the wooden thumb glove and the koshiya 'glove' because the war arrows
        are heavier than the target arrows.

        Klaus

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 13, 2002
          Here is a link to an online kyudo equipment catalog.
          http://www.kyudo.com/asahiam.html

        • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 13, 2002
            --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "Marko Peussa" <marko.peussa@k...>
            wrote:
            > Hello,
            >
            > First of all, there are several varieties of the 'modern' kyudo
            glove,
            > Klaus

            Thank you Klaus for the information. Much of it was already
            known, but much of it was insightful...you have been a big help.
            the links are also helpful...
            Shoot peacfully...