Re: [SCA-Archery] Kyudo

  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2000
      Lady Johanna,
      The current Grand-Master of kyudo and past instructor to the
      Emperor of Japan currently resides here on Long Island and operates a
      dojo in Centerport.
      I will dig up his address and contact number and if you will contact me
      privately, Iwill give it to you.
      Fondly,
      Geoffrei

    • Anthony J. Bryant
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2000
        Lady Jehanne de Wodeford
        wrote:

        > A gentleman in my shire purchased a yumi at Pennsic
        > and wants to learn Kyudo. Unfortunately, he has been
        > unable to find a dojo in our area (Northern NJ) and
        > has asked me to help him. He found some good books
        > through Asahi America, but if there is anyone on the
        > list who knows where we can get more information on
        > the practice of Japanese archery, please let me know.

        I wish I could help.

        I do kyudo, and the dojo (that I've not been to forever, sadly) I was at is near
        Indianapolis.

        Do you think anyone would be interested in a kyudo workshop at Pennsic?

        Effingham
      • Marko Peussa
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 13, 2002
          Hello,

          First of all, there are several varieties of the 'modern' kyudo glove, the
          most notable differences are the number of fingers and the angle of the
          groove at the base of the thumb relative to the axis of the thumb. There are
          different gloves for long distance shooting, shooting from horseback, and
          for target shooting, in which there are at least two varieties, the Japanese
          kyudo federation glove and the original Heki glove. However, the glove with
          wooden thumb protection dates back to at least 18th century, and is probably
          much older. Unfortunately, I cannot give you a date.

          For war shooting, you can just tape a piece of leather around your thumb, or
          put some tape around your thumb. This is how the Heki Ryu Insai Ha war
          shooting demostrations were done here in Finland, so I guess the original
          war shooting glove is not too complicated either. Have a look at the link:

          http://www.kolumbus.fi/fikyfe/photogallery/koshi1.html

          For a sample glove, try contacting Ogasawara Ryu for horseback shooting
          (yabusame), or Koyama Kyugu for footsoldier shooting (koshiya). They should
          be able to put you in contact to the Japanese glove makers. You can find
          both by using Google. There is also Satsuma Heki Ryu that does footsoldier
          archery, but they are not on the net and I don't have their address.

          As you are probably aware, the hold (torikake) of the string is different
          with the wooden thumb glove and the koshiya 'glove' because the war arrows
          are heavier than the target arrows.

          Klaus

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 13, 2002
            Here is a link to an online kyudo equipment catalog.
            http://www.kyudo.com/asahiam.html

          • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 13, 2002
              --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "Marko Peussa" <marko.peussa@k...>
              wrote:
              > Hello,
              >
              > First of all, there are several varieties of the 'modern' kyudo
              glove,
              > Klaus

              Thank you Klaus for the information. Much of it was already
              known, but much of it was insightful...you have been a big help.
              the links are also helpful...
              Shoot peacfully...