Re: [SCA-Archery] [Fwd: [Fwd: whistling heads]]

  • Hjalmar Brandenburg
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2000
      I believe you were trying to send this!

      Have a nice day!

      And Jon:

      Some days you feel like a nut some days you don't!

      Look forward to more intersting post from you!

      Ulvar
      ;-}

      > WHISTLING ARROWHEADS
      > by
      > Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf
      >
      > I have found a method of making inexpensive whistling
      > arrowheads. The latest issue of Primitive Archer magizine(vol.4, issue
      > 3) had a letter from a reader with information on how to make them from
      > ping pong (table tennis) balls.
      >
      > After reading the letter, I purchased a pack of six for four
      > dollars. You should use good quality balls and not the childrens type,
      > for they will not break as easily. They can break, but they do not
      > shatter. They produce a loud clear whistle and are easy to make.
      >
      > You should first make the two holes for the shaft. These holes
      > should be centered through the axis of the ball. Mark the center of the
      > holes, then use a field tip, mounted on a six inch section of the
      > diameter shaft you wish to use for the whistling arrowhead, to make the
      > hole. This is done by heating the tip over the burner of a stove.
      > Gently push the point of the tip into the ball till it is just short of
      > its widest point. This will make a snug fit.
      >
      > To make the whistling holes you need to mark out four equally
      > spaced triangles, 3/8 tall by 1/4 wide, base down. The base should be
      > half way down from the top of the ball, pointing up. You now heat the
      > xacto knife and use it to melt the lines for the triangles.
      >
      > You should slide the head about four inches past the point of the
      > arrow, so that it can clear whatever it hits. You may also want to use a
      > longer shaft, so that you will still be at full draw when the ball
      > touches your bow. Glue it in place, top and bottom. Fletchtite works
      > well. If you make these up as flu flus, they will not travel as far and
      > will be easier for you to find.
      >
      > If you make up a set of these and have several archers loose them
      > simultaneously and at a high angle and you will have an archerUs salute.
      > You must make sure, in advance, that the area where they will land is
      > clear and safe.
      >
      > I have tried adding them to 1 1/4 inch head, woodshaft combat
      > blunts, mounting them about four inches below the head. They work, but
      > are not as loud. This seems to be due to the turbulence caused by the
      > large blunt. They do work quite well with 3/4 inch blunts. If you have
      > any better success in adding them to combat blunts, please let me know.
      >
      > Do not use these in actual combat unless you have the approval of
      > your kingdom marshal. I would also recommend taping the ball or coating
      > it with tool dip.

    • mike_little
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2000
        > > If you keep this up you are going to be very Trying.
        > >
        > > Ulvar
        > >

        > My appologies. I will cease.
        >
        > Jon

        Disregarding the bad pun above,

        The reason that you cannot get your article through is that this list has
        been set to reject attatchments.

        You can either cut and paste your article into the body of the message, or
        post it as a file on the web site for the list.

        Mike
      • paul kaveshan
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2000
          >From: John Edgerton <sirjon1@...>
          >To: SCA-Archery@egroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] [Fwd: [Fwd: whistling heads]]
          >Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 05:47:52 -0800
          >
          >My appologies. I will cease.

          I am wondering if the article you are trying to send is an attachement. I
          think the server automatically strips attachments off for this list. You
          may want to talk to the list administrator about that, or put the message
          into the main body of the message.

          Ld James
          Shire of Tempio (Ansteorra)
          Archery marshal
          Chronicler
          Cadet to OEngus of Greymist (Outlands)

          http://profiles.msn.com
        • Bob & Nancy Upson
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2000
            > I am wondering if the article you are trying to send is an
            > attachement. I think the server automatically strips attachments off
            > for this list. You may want to talk to the list administrator about
            > that, or put the message into the main body of the message.

            Yes, that's the problem. Due to periodic bouts of trojan "viruses"
            being transported through the list on top of the occasional
            transgression of people attaching large graphic files to the list,
            attachments aren't allowed.

            Text articles may either be posted in the message body or, better
            yet if they are particularly large, posted as files to the list's file area
            at eGroups. There is also a provision at eGroups to post links to
            articles, pictures, etc. that are already webbed elsewhere. =)

            The Management
            aka Macsen

            Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's http://www.MedievalMart.com/
            *** BUY *** SELL *** BID *** HAGGLE ***
            At Medieval Mart we believe shopping should be a War Point!
          • John Edgerton
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2000
              Hjalmar Brandenburg wrote:

              > I believe you were trying to send this!
              >
              > Have a nice day!
              >
              > And Jon:
              >
              > Some days you feel like a nut some days you don't!
              >
              > Look forward to more intersting post from you!
              >
              > Ulvar

              Many thanks for post it for me. I still do not understand why it worked on sca
              missile but not on sca archery. :-(

              Jon
            • James W. Pratt Jr.
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 10, 2000
                Congratulations to Robert Thorne... 247 on the Winter
                ound( http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/scores.html ) is going to be
                tough to beat. I guess playing with Lions and Tigers has done some good.

                James Cunningham