Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Digest Number 415: Martin Recurves

  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 18, 2000
      I feel that I must add to the discussion on strings affecting spine of
      arrows. Macsen is quite correct. On all of my wood and glass lammy bows,
      they are made for fast flight string. I shoot bows that draw 70-75# with
      no center-shot, just a leather indicator shelf. I must use arrows that
      are spined for 85-90# to get good arrow flight. Yes, I also use heavy
      heads(160grains) and that will affect the spine a bit,but not 15#. All
      bowyers that make bows for fast flight will tell you that you will have
      to have arrows spined at between 10-15# over the draw weight to account
      for the added push from the non-elastic fast flight string.
      The reverse is often true of self bows. On my 60# yew ELB with a
      flemish dacron string, I am using arrows spined at about 50# with
      125grain heads to get optimum flight.
      You use your spine chart as a starting off point, then try
      different shafts to see which flies the best, then you will know what
      will shoot well out of that particular bow and you can match the shafts
      using your spine scale. Different bows and different archers just don't
      shoot the same.There are no hard and fast laws that
      fit all bows and shafts of a particular weight and spine. You use the
      charts as a starting point, then fine tune.
      Respectfully Submitted,
      --Geoffrei St. Albans of Eastwood