Re: [SCA-Archery]

  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 17, 2000
      Regarding the Nirk and the Martin X200. These are both excellent bows
      and a good choice for a beginner archer wanting a good shooting
      servicable bow. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that Martin has acquired
      the Nirk company and their products will be phased into the Martin Line.
      The X100 was also an excellent bow and I regularly reccommended it to
      new archers that wanted to upgrade from a solid fiberglas bow. Martin
      stopped making the X100 about a year or two ago as it was so similiar to
      the X200 but less expensive (businessmen, BAH!). The one really good
      thing that I can say about the Martin equipment is that they are
      quality, and if anything should go wrong with the bow, they stand behind
      their product. My lady has an X200 and there was a problem with it, so
      she sent it back to Martin , and they provided her with a new one by
      return mail, all postage paid by them . If you wish to buy a slightly
      more expensive recurve, try the newer models that Martin has been
      producing the last few years, the "Dreamcatcher" shoots like a "Black
      Widow" and at half the price.
      I am a longbow only shooter, but I've shot just about every new
      production bow out there as the range we hold our practices at is an
      archery pro shop with a large variety of traditional achery equipment.
      The manager of the shop is continually handing us bows to try to see how
      we like them. The Nirk bows are surprizingly good shooting bows and they
      have a more traditional look . The Martin bows all shoot well, though
      the Hatfield takedown weighs a ton in your hand, but it shoots good.
      Early on in my beginning days I had a Martin "Hunter" recurve 75# and
      then I went to the "Bushmaster" 75#,
      both of these bows were sweet shooting and the only reason that I sold
      them is that my shooting style changed and I like only a straight grip
      (no pistol grips for me anymore).
      You will do well with either of the bows that you mentioned, buy
      the one you like the best.
      Good Luck to you,
      --Geoffrei St. Albans of Eastwood