Re: [[SCA-Archery] English longbows]

  • Wilim Saethwr
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2000
      English long bows were not backed. Yew that the True 15 centry bows were made
      of is a GREAT! wood that has no need for backing. But if your bow is not yew
      (a lesser wood) you may need backing. I don't now about the early Welsh bows
      wich were made of English Elm. The 15th centry bows were not alwaise 1 peace
      (Stave) they were many a times made of 2 peaces (Billets).

      Good luck with your Bow. (hope your first bow turns out as good or better that
      mine(still in one peace after 2 years of shooting)

      Wilim Saethwr

      Ryyn�nen Harri <haryynan@...> wrote:

      > MIME Type:�multipart/alternative
      Greetings,

      I've started building an ELB, and it's almost complete. There was a
      mention of linenbacking in longbow...was backing used in ELB, if so, what
      materials and what glues were used for gluing? Also info on period glue
      for horn nocks is something I need. (And good modern substitutes as well)

      H�kon