Archery books.

  • Alberic
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 1999
      Greetings:

      To whomever was looking for Toxophilus, the Manchester Museum has a
      version available through the Simon Archery Collection's mail order service.

      http://www.museum.man.ac.uk/collections/archery/archery_order.html

      They don't have an online order form, so you have to call them direct at
      (from the US) 011-44-161-275-

      The blurb from the site follows:
      TOXOPHILUS by Roger Ascham. Reprinted by A. Wendy Hodkinson from the Rev
      Dr Giles edition of 1866 which was in a modern typeface. Toxophilus is
      of academic interest because it was the first learned book to be printed
      in English. It was written in 1544 but many of Ascham's comments still
      apply to archery today. 1999 edition. Price ,12.00 post free, or $22.80
      post free plus surface mail or plus $3.35 airmail p&p, or ,12.00 post
      free surface mail or plus ,2.35 p&p airmail to Australia.

      I suspect the "$" dollar signs should really be pound signs however, as
      I recently ordered another book from them and discovered the 12 "$" book
      was actually 12 quid.

      Speaking of which, while I was at Pennsic, Master Iolo introduced me to
      another of those rare very informative crossbow books: W.F. Patterson's
      "Guide to the Crossbow". I didn't get much chance to read it, but what
      I saw looked *very* good. (many useful diagrams, and only a few
      Payne-Gallwey induced errors.)

      It's only 12 pounds, or about $20 USD, and well worth the money, the
      catch is that the Manchester museum is the only source, and they're
      printing it in a limited run of 1000 copies, of which mine, ordered
      Monday, is copy 932.
      Get them while they're hot.

      The blurb from the website follows:

      A GUIDE TO THE CROSSBOW by W. F. Paterson gives a description of the
      technical and mechanical aspects of the crossbow including its
      construction, detail of the oriental crossbow, of crossbows used for
      hunting and war, and for mechanical and veterinary applications. The
      final chapter explains how to string a crossbow. Published by the
      Society of Archer-Antiquaries. 1990 edition. Price ,8.00 post free or
      $12.00 post free surface mail or plus $5.75 p&p airmail, or ,8.00 post
      free surface mail or plus ,3.75 p&p airmail to Australia.

      FWIW,
      Alberic