Re: [SCA-Archery] Looking for Non-leather Gloves

  • SwayzeK
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 3, 2000
      On Oct 1, 11:25am, Carl West at home wrote:

      > > --- "Kathelin van Weye" <kat_weye@...>
      > > > wrote:
      > > >I am looking for any on-line sources (or any sources) of non-leather
      > > >archery gloves. Yep, it's needle-in-a-haystack time.
      > > >
      > > >If gloves aren't possible, what are the options for an archery newbie
      > > >who can't use leather products?

      After reading Carl's stuff below, it popped into my head that it wouldn't be
      that difficult to make finger tabs out of several layers of heavy cloth. You
      know, the kind that slip onto the middle finger and flip up to protect the
      three fingers that pull the string. You could use some slippery fake fur for
      the part that actually contacts the string, or maybe some flannel backed satin.
      It might not last as long as leather and fur, but it would work.

      > If you're willing to use modern materials, I'd try rubber. A tire store
      > that deals with trucks can get you a scrap of truck innertube* which you
      > could contact cement to a cloth glove. Bevel the edges of the rubber,
      > it'll stay glued better. Make the strip of rubber go from the fingernail
      > to the second knuckle. Make the glove a snug fit on the fingers, and
      > find a way to bind it at the wrist. You'll probably want to get rid of
      > the thumb and little finger.
      >
      > *Bicycle innertube may be sufficient, depending on the weight of your
      > bow, If it's not enough, put on another layer. Every bike shop has a
      > dumpster full of innertubes.
      >
      > If you're going to stick to Period materials, about the only non-animal
      > product I can think of that's going to stand up to the war and tear of
      > releasing a bowstring for any period of time would be a glove with
      > carefully shaped and polished metal fingertips. An interesting challenge
      > for your local armorer.
      >
      > Hmm... I forgot wood.
      > A thin slat of a good hardwood cut thusly for each finger might do the job:
      >
      > (not to scale or proportion)
      > ------------------\
      > / /---o------/C 'o's are sewing points
      > |o A | B
      > \ \---o------\C
      > ------------------/
      >
      > The portion 'A' rests on the pad of the tip of the finger.
      > The finger passes through area 'B' with the joint at the line between
      > 'A' and 'B'
      > The 'ears' 'C' ride on either side of the finger
      >
      > Why the ears? To keep the string from getting caught behind the wood.
      > They should be as thin as possible.
      >
      > This is almost making a 'thumb ring' for each fingertip.
      >

      > There's an idea too, get a plastic or metal thumb ring and shoot that way.
      >
      > --
      > Carl West
      > mailto:eisen@...
      > http://people.ne.mediaone.net/eisen

      >-- End of excerpt from Carl West at home

      Ailinn Shadowfox
      kswaye@...
    • Juan Xavier
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 3, 2000
        A friend and I picked up some of these from Merick Archery at Pennsic. I
        don't know their contact info. I beleive they were $4.00. They basically
        replace the need for a glove or tab. I haven't tried them yet, but my friend
        didn't like them too much.

        Xavier

        >I have seen little plastic pieces that are placed on the bowstring to
        >protect the fingers. I saw them at Pennsic, but have *no* idea what
        >merchant it was. Maybe an archery source on the web would have them...
        >
        >Grainne

        http://profiles.msn.com
      • Susan Claus
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 3, 2000
          Interesting. When I read her original message, "can't use leather" made me
          assume this was a matter of conscience, not allergy...

          http://profiles.msn.com
        • Jack Bradley
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 3, 2000
            Lookout for string slap with these things. They dig in to your arm and take off
            little bits
            Ragnar

            Juan Xavier wrote:

            > A friend and I picked up some of these from Merick Archery at Pennsic. I
            > don't know their contact info. I beleive they were $4.00. They basically
            > replace the need for a glove or tab. I haven't tried them yet, but my friend
            > didn't like them too much.
            >
            > Xavier
            >
            > >I have seen little plastic pieces that are placed on the bowstring to
            > >protect the fingers. I saw them at Pennsic, but have *no* idea what
            > >merchant it was. Maybe an archery source on the web would have them...
            > >
            > >Grainne

            > http://profiles.msn.com
            >

            > Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
            > http://www.MedievalMart.com/

          • Hal B. Clark
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 3, 2000
              Deb, most people who are allergic to leather are actually allergic to some of
              the chemicals used in curing the animal hides. "leather" can be specific to
              cattle hide or generic to any animal hide that is cured for use. Actually, your
              deer hide idea would be ggood if the person could get hold off some "brain
              tanned" deerhide. This is the method used by the american indian.
              Walk Tall
              Gentle Ben