Re: [SCA-Archery] Looking for Non-leather Gloves

  • Howard Featherling
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 2, 2000
      My humble two-pence suggestion would be to look at industrial supply catalogs and lab safety catalogs for rubber dipped cotton gloves. Depending on what they are designed to resist, the outer coating or even the entire construction will change. Just remember one thing, you will sweat considerably in rubber and it has nowhere to go, so rot and mildew can become a problem.
      If you do not mind my asking, why is leather a problem? Is it the tannin (sp?) in the leather that bothers you or some chemical used in the tanning process? There are different methods of tanning leather.
      ~Alfred~
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 2, 2000
        > On Oct 02, dajdan scratched in indelible ink :

        > I don't know anything about animal hides, but I thought leather came from
        > cattle. So I didn't think deer skin was the same, I could be wrong (wouldn't
        > be the first time ). Sorry if it's the same I was just trying to help.

        well.... leather is the tanned, cured product of an animal hide. Various
        animals give different types of leather. Pigskin produces a _very_ tough hard
        leather -- shoe soles, cowskin gives us combat armour ;), goatskin (IIRC)
        -- chamois, etc etc etc. think rabbits, foxes and bear rugs too. The uses
        of animal hides are quite endless. oh yes, I have a pair of deerskin gloves
        too which make a wonderful arrow rest :)

        /Jp..
        --
        Jean-Paul Blaquiere || Avatar of Computational
        japester@... || Thaumaturgy
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 2, 2000
          I have seen little plastic pieces that are placed on the bowstring to
          protect the fingers. I saw them at Pennsic, but have *no* idea what
          merchant it was. Maybe an archery source on the web would have them...

          Grainne

          Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
        • dajdan
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 2, 2000
            I don't know anything about animal hides, but I thought leather came from
            cattle. So I didn't think deer skin was the same, I could be wrong (wouldn't
            be the first time ). Sorry if it's the same I was just trying to help.
            Deb
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 3, 2000
              On Oct 1, 11:25am, Carl West at home wrote:

              > > --- "Kathelin van Weye" <kat_weye@...>
              > > > wrote:
              > > >I am looking for any on-line sources (or any sources) of non-leather
              > > >archery gloves. Yep, it's needle-in-a-haystack time.
              > > >
              > > >If gloves aren't possible, what are the options for an archery newbie
              > > >who can't use leather products?

              After reading Carl's stuff below, it popped into my head that it wouldn't be
              that difficult to make finger tabs out of several layers of heavy cloth. You
              know, the kind that slip onto the middle finger and flip up to protect the
              three fingers that pull the string. You could use some slippery fake fur for
              the part that actually contacts the string, or maybe some flannel backed satin.
              It might not last as long as leather and fur, but it would work.

              > If you're willing to use modern materials, I'd try rubber. A tire store
              > that deals with trucks can get you a scrap of truck innertube* which you
              > could contact cement to a cloth glove. Bevel the edges of the rubber,
              > it'll stay glued better. Make the strip of rubber go from the fingernail
              > to the second knuckle. Make the glove a snug fit on the fingers, and
              > find a way to bind it at the wrist. You'll probably want to get rid of
              > the thumb and little finger.
              >
              > *Bicycle innertube may be sufficient, depending on the weight of your
              > bow, If it's not enough, put on another layer. Every bike shop has a
              > dumpster full of innertubes.
              >
              > If you're going to stick to Period materials, about the only non-animal
              > product I can think of that's going to stand up to the war and tear of
              > releasing a bowstring for any period of time would be a glove with
              > carefully shaped and polished metal fingertips. An interesting challenge
              > for your local armorer.
              >
              > Hmm... I forgot wood.
              > A thin slat of a good hardwood cut thusly for each finger might do the job:
              >
              > (not to scale or proportion)
              > ------------------\
              > / /---o------/C 'o's are sewing points
              > |o A | B
              > \ \---o------\C
              > ------------------/
              >
              > The portion 'A' rests on the pad of the tip of the finger.
              > The finger passes through area 'B' with the joint at the line between
              > 'A' and 'B'
              > The 'ears' 'C' ride on either side of the finger
              >
              > Why the ears? To keep the string from getting caught behind the wood.
              > They should be as thin as possible.
              >
              > This is almost making a 'thumb ring' for each fingertip.
              >

              > There's an idea too, get a plastic or metal thumb ring and shoot that way.
              >
              > --
              > Carl West
              > mailto:eisen@...
              > http://people.ne.mediaone.net/eisen

              >-- End of excerpt from Carl West at home

              Ailinn Shadowfox
              kswaye@...
            • Juan Xavier
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 3, 2000
                A friend and I picked up some of these from Merick Archery at Pennsic. I
                don't know their contact info. I beleive they were $4.00. They basically
                replace the need for a glove or tab. I haven't tried them yet, but my friend
                didn't like them too much.

                Xavier

                >I have seen little plastic pieces that are placed on the bowstring to
                >protect the fingers. I saw them at Pennsic, but have *no* idea what
                >merchant it was. Maybe an archery source on the web would have them...
                >
                >Grainne

                http://profiles.msn.com
              • Susan Claus
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 3, 2000
                  Interesting. When I read her original message, "can't use leather" made me
                  assume this was a matter of conscience, not allergy...

                  http://profiles.msn.com
                • Jack Bradley
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 3, 2000
                    Lookout for string slap with these things. They dig in to your arm and take off
                    little bits
                    Ragnar

                    Juan Xavier wrote:

                    > A friend and I picked up some of these from Merick Archery at Pennsic. I
                    > don't know their contact info. I beleive they were $4.00. They basically
                    > replace the need for a glove or tab. I haven't tried them yet, but my friend
                    > didn't like them too much.
                    >
                    > Xavier
                    >
                    > >I have seen little plastic pieces that are placed on the bowstring to
                    > >protect the fingers. I saw them at Pennsic, but have *no* idea what
                    > >merchant it was. Maybe an archery source on the web would have them...
                    > >
                    > >Grainne

                    > http://profiles.msn.com
                    >

                    > Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
                    > http://www.MedievalMart.com/

                  • Hal B. Clark
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 3, 2000
                      Deb, most people who are allergic to leather are actually allergic to some of
                      the chemicals used in curing the animal hides. "leather" can be specific to
                      cattle hide or generic to any animal hide that is cured for use. Actually, your
                      deer hide idea would be ggood if the person could get hold off some "brain
                      tanned" deerhide. This is the method used by the american indian.
                      Walk Tall
                      Gentle Ben