Re: [SCA-Archery] Looking for Non-leather Gloves

  • Simon Hondy
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 2, 2000
      That would be a good material, sturdy and slick, especially using talc on
      the tips. Or along the same track, some upholstery fabrics, they have a
      cloth backing as part of the material, and can see no reason they could not
      be sewn up like regular archers gloves.
      Simon Hondy

      > If you're willing to use modern materials, I'd try rubber.
      <snip>
      > --
      > Carl West
      > mailto:eisen@...
      > http://people.ne.mediaone.net/eisen
    • Jean-Paul Blaquiere
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 2, 2000
        > > --- "Kathelin van Weye" <kat_weye@...>
        > > > wrote:
        > > >I am looking for any on-line sources (or any sources) of non-leather
        > > >archery gloves. Yep, it's needle-in-a-haystack time.
        > > >
        > > >If gloves aren't possible, what are the options for an archery newbie
        > > >who can't use leather products?

        You could also do what I use as a fingertab substitute, is the 'imitation suede'
        golfing gloves. I don't konw if this will work for you, depending on why you
        cannot use leather.

        /aside, I have just joined this list. I reside in the Barony of Anneala, Lochac
        (Perth Western Australia) and apart from archery live up most of the different
        activities possible in the SCA. I have been around for a couple of years now
        and have only just come across this list reading the file of archery captain.
        I am an avid target archer, have just relinquished my role as Champion of
        the Bow for the past year and our barony is starting to get a group of regular
        combat archers together too.

        fare thee well.
        --
        Jean-Paul Blaquiere || Avatar of Computational
        japester@... || Thaumaturgy
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 2, 2000
          Why wouldn't "Deer Skin" be leather?

          -Eadric

          > I think the traditional archery shop in my area has deer skin gloves. I'm going tomorrow (need tips for sons arrows) I will find out if they have a web site. If they don't and you can't find them anywhere else. I could get it and mail it to you. I think the glove was around $15.00 or $16.00. I'll let you know tomorrow.
          > Deb
        • Howard Featherling
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 2, 2000
            My humble two-pence suggestion would be to look at industrial supply catalogs and lab safety catalogs for rubber dipped cotton gloves. Depending on what they are designed to resist, the outer coating or even the entire construction will change. Just remember one thing, you will sweat considerably in rubber and it has nowhere to go, so rot and mildew can become a problem.
            If you do not mind my asking, why is leather a problem? Is it the tannin (sp?) in the leather that bothers you or some chemical used in the tanning process? There are different methods of tanning leather.
            ~Alfred~
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 2, 2000
              > On Oct 02, dajdan scratched in indelible ink :

              > I don't know anything about animal hides, but I thought leather came from
              > cattle. So I didn't think deer skin was the same, I could be wrong (wouldn't
              > be the first time ). Sorry if it's the same I was just trying to help.

              well.... leather is the tanned, cured product of an animal hide. Various
              animals give different types of leather. Pigskin produces a _very_ tough hard
              leather -- shoe soles, cowskin gives us combat armour ;), goatskin (IIRC)
              -- chamois, etc etc etc. think rabbits, foxes and bear rugs too. The uses
              of animal hides are quite endless. oh yes, I have a pair of deerskin gloves
              too which make a wonderful arrow rest :)

              /Jp..
              --
              Jean-Paul Blaquiere || Avatar of Computational
              japester@... || Thaumaturgy
              Words are fingers that point at the moon. Once you see the moon, you no
              longer need the fingers. -- someone, somewhere
            • Meghan K Baker
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 2, 2000
                I have seen little plastic pieces that are placed on the bowstring to
                protect the fingers. I saw them at Pennsic, but have *no* idea what
                merchant it was. Maybe an archery source on the web would have them...

                Grainne

                Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
                http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
              • dajdan

                    > > I think the traditional archery shop in my area has deer skin gloves.
                    I'm going tomorrow (need tips for sons arrows) I will find out if they have
                    a web site. If they don't and you can't find them anywhere else. I could get
                    it and mail it to you. I think the glove was around $15.00 or $16.00. I'll
                    let you know tomorrow.
                    > > Deb
                    >

                    > Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
                    > http://www.MedievalMart.com/

                  • SwayzeK
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 3, 2000
                      On Oct 1, 11:25am, Carl West at home wrote:

                      > > --- "Kathelin van Weye" <kat_weye@...>
                      > > > wrote:
                      > > >I am looking for any on-line sources (or any sources) of non-leather
                      > > >archery gloves. Yep, it's needle-in-a-haystack time.
                      > > >
                      > > >If gloves aren't possible, what are the options for an archery newbie
                      > > >who can't use leather products?

                      After reading Carl's stuff below, it popped into my head that it wouldn't be
                      that difficult to make finger tabs out of several layers of heavy cloth. You
                      know, the kind that slip onto the middle finger and flip up to protect the
                      three fingers that pull the string. You could use some slippery fake fur for
                      the part that actually contacts the string, or maybe some flannel backed satin.
                      It might not last as long as leather and fur, but it would work.

                      > If you're willing to use modern materials, I'd try rubber. A tire store
                      > that deals with trucks can get you a scrap of truck innertube* which you
                      > could contact cement to a cloth glove. Bevel the edges of the rubber,
                      > it'll stay glued better. Make the strip of rubber go from the fingernail
                      > to the second knuckle. Make the glove a snug fit on the fingers, and
                      > find a way to bind it at the wrist. You'll probably want to get rid of
                      > the thumb and little finger.
                      >
                      > *Bicycle innertube may be sufficient, depending on the weight of your
                      > bow, If it's not enough, put on another layer. Every bike shop has a
                      > dumpster full of innertubes.
                      >
                      > If you're going to stick to Period materials, about the only non-animal
                      > product I can think of that's going to stand up to the war and tear of
                      > releasing a bowstring for any period of time would be a glove with
                      > carefully shaped and polished metal fingertips. An interesting challenge
                      > for your local armorer.
                      >
                      > Hmm... I forgot wood.
                      > A thin slat of a good hardwood cut thusly for each finger might do the job:
                      >
                      > (not to scale or proportion)
                      > ------------------\
                      > / /---o------/C 'o's are sewing points
                      > |o A | B
                      > \ \---o------\C
                      > ------------------/
                      >
                      > The portion 'A' rests on the pad of the tip of the finger.
                      > The finger passes through area 'B' with the joint at the line between
                      > 'A' and 'B'
                      > The 'ears' 'C' ride on either side of the finger
                      >
                      > Why the ears? To keep the string from getting caught behind the wood.
                      > They should be as thin as possible.
                      >
                      > This is almost making a 'thumb ring' for each fingertip.
                      >

                      > There's an idea too, get a plastic or metal thumb ring and shoot that way.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Carl West
                      > mailto:eisen@...
                      > http://people.ne.mediaone.net/eisen

                      >-- End of excerpt from Carl West at home

                      Ailinn Shadowfox
                      kswaye@...
                    • Juan Xavier
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 3, 2000
                        A friend and I picked up some of these from Merick Archery at Pennsic. I
                        don't know their contact info. I beleive they were $4.00. They basically
                        replace the need for a glove or tab. I haven't tried them yet, but my friend
                        didn't like them too much.

                        Xavier

                        >I have seen little plastic pieces that are placed on the bowstring to
                        >protect the fingers. I saw them at Pennsic, but have *no* idea what
                        >merchant it was. Maybe an archery source on the web would have them...
                        >
                        >Grainne

                        http://profiles.msn.com
                      • Susan Claus
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 3, 2000
                          Interesting. When I read her original message, "can't use leather" made me
                          assume this was a matter of conscience, not allergy...

                          http://profiles.msn.com
                        • Jack Bradley
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 3, 2000
                            Lookout for string slap with these things. They dig in to your arm and take off
                            little bits
                            Ragnar

                            Juan Xavier wrote:

                            > A friend and I picked up some of these from Merick Archery at Pennsic. I
                            > don't know their contact info. I beleive they were $4.00. They basically
                            > replace the need for a glove or tab. I haven't tried them yet, but my friend
                            > didn't like them too much.
                            >
                            > Xavier
                            >
                            > >I have seen little plastic pieces that are placed on the bowstring to
                            > >protect the fingers. I saw them at Pennsic, but have *no* idea what
                            > >merchant it was. Maybe an archery source on the web would have them...
                            > >
                            > >Grainne

                            > http://profiles.msn.com
                            >

                            > Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
                            > http://www.MedievalMart.com/

                          • Hal B. Clark
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 3, 2000
                              Deb, most people who are allergic to leather are actually allergic to some of
                              the chemicals used in curing the animal hides. "leather" can be specific to
                              cattle hide or generic to any animal hide that is cured for use. Actually, your
                              deer hide idea would be ggood if the person could get hold off some "brain
                              tanned" deerhide. This is the method used by the american indian.
                              Walk Tall
                              Gentle Ben