Re: Digest Number 399 (Tassels)

  • Jeff Elder
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2000
      One thing as a combat archer you are authorized to get out there and
      shoot people. And there is no real scoring system other than bruises
      and tales for the circle that evening. To rank combat archers would
      be like ranking heavies for the amount of authorizations they have.
      Combat has no definite scores, unlike terget archery which does have
      a measurable acheivement. This also leads to why some archers
      dislike the royal round. It is not truly a measure of an archers
      skill, nor is it like any other martial form in the way it is awarded
      and scored. Although Royal round scores technically are for a year
      you get to wear the insignia of your ranking, granted, each kingdm is
      different in variaous respects.

      Simon Hondy
      MKA Jeff Elder

      --- In SCA-Archery@egroups.com, "K. Zerkle" <kimz@w...> wrote:
      > Greetings from AEthelmearc...I have been a combat archer for almost
      a year.
      > It is almost impossible to shoot at competitions because at events
      they are
      > held during the battles.Our Barony has yet to have a royal rounds
      shoot this
      > year that I know of. How do heavy combat archers get recognized?
      At most
      > battles we command our group and assist as any other heavy weapon
      fighters
      > would; also switching fighting forms at times. In AEthelmearc do
      you have to
      > shoot on the royal rounds to get noticed? Competition crossbow
      instead of
      > heavy combat crossbow on the field of battle? Just curious? I have
      both
      > types of crossbows and want to shoot both styles.
      > In Service,
      > Kymburlyn
      >

      > > > From: "Jaime Bain" <fruitfly_83@h...>
      > > > Subject: tassels?
      > > >
      > > > Greetings all! I've been a lurker here for awhile now, and I
      finally
      > have a
      > > > question that I hope can be answered by someone on this list.
      A friend
      > of
      > > > mine recently earned her novice rank, and I wanted to make her
      a white
      > > > tassel as a gift and a token of our friendship. Does anyone
      know the
      > > > specifications for correct SCA tassels? I live in the
      Outlands, if that
      > > > matters at all.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks in advance,
      > > > Julianna Alianore de Vitre
      > >
      > > The Kingdom of AEthelmearc uses a Red and White tassel to
      indicate the
      > recipient
      > > of the "Scarlet Guard" High Order of Merit for Archers. And the
      Kingdom of
      > > Artemisia is looking at using tassels for various awards for
      archers as
      > well.
      > >
      > > THL Gwilym
      > >

      > > Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
      > > http://www.MedievalMart.com/
      > >
      > > Sponsored by House Wyvern Hall, BBM, East Kingdom, SCA
      > > [Email to SCA-Archery-unsubscribe@egroups.com to leave this list]

    • Brad Boda d'Aylward
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2000
        >Greetings from AEthelmearc...I have been a combat archer for almost a year.
        >It is almost impossible to shoot at competitions because at events they are
        >held during the battles.Our Barony has yet to have a royal rounds shoot
        this
        >year that I know of. How do heavy combat archers get recognized? At most
        >battles we command our group and assist as any other heavy weapon fighters
        >would; also switching fighting forms at times. In AEthelmearc do you have
        >shoot on the royal rounds to get noticed? Competition crossbow instead of
        >heavy combat crossbow on the field of battle? Just curious? I have both
        >types of crossbows and want to shoot both styles.
        >In Service,
        >Kymburlyn

        xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

        >> The Kingdom of AEthelmearc uses a Red and White tassel to indicate the
        >recipient
        >> of the "Scarlet Guard" High Order of Merit for Archers. And the Kingdom
        of
        >> Artemisia is looking at using tassels for various awards for archers as
        >well.
        >>
        >> THL Gwilym

        The best time to shoot the RR is during the local archery practices. Many
        times I have to decide which I really want to do at an event. Most of the
        time it depends on the event as to whether I'll be fighting or shooting.

        Combat Archery is recognized as any other weapons for in AEthelmearc.
        Recognition will probably not come for only one weapons form but for a
        proficiency in a varied selection of weapons. Shooting RR and fighting
        Archery are apples and oranges; two different animals all together. Good CA,
        in my opinion, could only get better with Royal Rounds and Roving range
        practice. This means a familiarity with the weapon which then can be carried
        onto the battle field. The two are tied together in experience but not in
        kingdom recognition.

        The Scarlet Guard is recognition for the advancement of target archery.
        Heavy weapons awards are separate.

        (The question of which Barony in AE wherein you can't find the local archery
        practice I will address in a private post)

        Lord Brad Boda d'Aylward (AoA, OGA)
        AEthelmearc Combat Archery Commander
        Regional Lt. Gen. Archery Marshall

        Good friends see through the act and still appreciate the performance.
        Unknown