Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: tassels?

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2000
      greytaylor@... wrote:

      > --- In SCA-Archery@egroups.com, "Greg Christensen" <gcjckc@h...>
      > wrote:
      > > Direct from the Outland Archery web page.....
      > >
      > > In period times, English archers wore a tassel on their belts to
      > wipe their
      > > arrows clean.
      >
      > I've never heard of this being a period practice. I was under the
      > impression that cleaning tassles were not used until sometime in the
      > 1800's. Does anyone have any literature on it?
      >
      > Taillear

      I do not remember Ascham saying any thing about tassels and that is
      late period, but I may just not be remembering correctly. Anyone have
      their copy of Aschem handy?

      Jon
    • SwayzeK
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 2, 2000
        On Sep 30, 9:16pm, bloodsng@... wrote:
        > In a message dated 09/30/2000 7:51:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
        > archer3@... writes:
        >
        > << In addition to the colors for the rankings already stated, the knot
        > should be white for youth; adults blue for open div. or yellow for
        > period div. No color distinction for either crossbow or handbow.
        > >>
        > what do they have for their combat archers

        We don't have a ranking system for the combat archers. Combat archery is under
        the control of the Earl and Knight Marshals.

        Ailinn Shadowfox