Re: [SCA-Archery] Digest Number 399

  • K. Zerkle
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2000
      Greetings from AEthelmearc...I have been a combat archer for almost a year.
      It is almost impossible to shoot at competitions because at events they are
      held during the battles.Our Barony has yet to have a royal rounds shoot this
      year that I know of. How do heavy combat archers get recognized? At most
      battles we command our group and assist as any other heavy weapon fighters
      would; also switching fighting forms at times. In AEthelmearc do you have to
      shoot on the royal rounds to get noticed? Competition crossbow instead of
      heavy combat crossbow on the field of battle? Just curious? I have both
      types of crossbows and want to shoot both styles.
      In Service,
      Kymburlyn

      > > From: "Jaime Bain" <fruitfly_83@...>
      > > Subject: tassels?
      > >
      > > Greetings all! I've been a lurker here for awhile now, and I finally
      have a
      > > question that I hope can be answered by someone on this list. A friend
      of
      > > mine recently earned her novice rank, and I wanted to make her a white
      > > tassel as a gift and a token of our friendship. Does anyone know the
      > > specifications for correct SCA tassels? I live in the Outlands, if that
      > > matters at all.
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance,
      > > Julianna Alianore de Vitre
      >
      > The Kingdom of AEthelmearc uses a Red and White tassel to indicate the
      recipient
      > of the "Scarlet Guard" High Order of Merit for Archers. And the Kingdom of
      > Artemisia is looking at using tassels for various awards for archers as
      well.

      > THL Gwilym
      >

      > Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
      > http://www.MedievalMart.com/

    • Jeff Elder
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2000
        One thing as a combat archer you are authorized to get out there and
        shoot people. And there is no real scoring system other than bruises
        and tales for the circle that evening. To rank combat archers would
        be like ranking heavies for the amount of authorizations they have.
        Combat has no definite scores, unlike terget archery which does have
        a measurable acheivement. This also leads to why some archers
        dislike the royal round. It is not truly a measure of an archers
        skill, nor is it like any other martial form in the way it is awarded
        and scored. Although Royal round scores technically are for a year
        you get to wear the insignia of your ranking, granted, each kingdm is
        different in variaous respects.

        Simon Hondy
        MKA Jeff Elder

      • Brad Boda d'Aylward
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2000
          >Greetings from AEthelmearc...I have been a combat archer for almost a year.
          >It is almost impossible to shoot at competitions because at events they are
          >held during the battles.Our Barony has yet to have a royal rounds shoot
          this
          >year that I know of. How do heavy combat archers get recognized? At most
          >battles we command our group and assist as any other heavy weapon fighters
          >would; also switching fighting forms at times. In AEthelmearc do you have
          >shoot on the royal rounds to get noticed? Competition crossbow instead of
          >heavy combat crossbow on the field of battle? Just curious? I have both
          >types of crossbows and want to shoot both styles.
          >In Service,
          >Kymburlyn

          xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

          >> The Kingdom of AEthelmearc uses a Red and White tassel to indicate the
          >recipient
          >> of the "Scarlet Guard" High Order of Merit for Archers. And the Kingdom
          of
          >> Artemisia is looking at using tassels for various awards for archers as
          >well.
          >>
          >> THL Gwilym

          The best time to shoot the RR is during the local archery practices. Many
          times I have to decide which I really want to do at an event. Most of the
          time it depends on the event as to whether I'll be fighting or shooting.

          Combat Archery is recognized as any other weapons for in AEthelmearc.
          Recognition will probably not come for only one weapons form but for a
          proficiency in a varied selection of weapons. Shooting RR and fighting
          Archery are apples and oranges; two different animals all together. Good CA,
          in my opinion, could only get better with Royal Rounds and Roving range
          practice. This means a familiarity with the weapon which then can be carried
          onto the battle field. The two are tied together in experience but not in
          kingdom recognition.

          The Scarlet Guard is recognition for the advancement of target archery.
          Heavy weapons awards are separate.

          (The question of which Barony in AE wherein you can't find the local archery
          practice I will address in a private post)

          Lord Brad Boda d'Aylward (AoA, OGA)
          AEthelmearc Combat Archery Commander
          Regional Lt. Gen. Archery Marshall

          Good friends see through the act and still appreciate the performance.
          Unknown