Re: [SCA-Archery] tassels?

  • James W. Pratt Jr.
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2000
      Greetings Julianna

      My Lady made one for me as a token it is of handspun unwashed (nice shade of
      brown) wool. The bushy part of the tassel is about six inches long and
      makes a nice handfull when you grab it. I use it every time I shoot the
      clout for taking the dirt of the arrow points. It works great... the
      lanolin(sp) helps to keep rust off the points... the brown color keeps the
      dirt and rust from showing. The current English Longbow Society (Hardey"s
      long bow book) still uses them.

      James Cunnigham
      MIddle Kingdom

    • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2000
        I also carry a tassle off of my quiver to wipe off arrows after they
        have been shot in the field. The one that I carry is black,which has no
        meaning of rank. In the British longbow Society the colors have specific
        meanings. The tassles are awarded at the end of a shoot. Gold is given
        to the archer that has hit the gold the most times in a round. White is
        given to the archer that has hit the petticoat of the target the most
        times(the outer white ring) and Green is given to the archer that has
        hit the grass the most times( no one wants the green one). I have won
        the gold tassle, but I don't carry it as it is wy too elegant looking
        for a sruffy woodsman like myself. I don't know what the colors mean in
        different kingdoms in our society(in the East we give badges), but if
        you are going to participate in mundane shooting, I thought you may want
        to know how the different colors are perceived. An earlier archer stated
        that he or she thought that the tassle dated from the 1800's,-possibly
        but I seem to recall seeing reference to it going back into the 1700's,
        in any case, I don't believe it is period to SCA. Nevertheless, tassles
        are a useful and attractive tool for the field archer, and the tassle as
        a decorative item goes back to ancient times.
        Respectfully submitted,
        Geoffrei St. Albans of Eastwood

      • John Edgerton
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2000
          greytaylor@... wrote:

          > --- In SCA-Archery@egroups.com, "Greg Christensen" <gcjckc@h...>
          > wrote:
          > > Direct from the Outland Archery web page.....
          > >
          > > In period times, English archers wore a tassel on their belts to
          > wipe their
          > > arrows clean.
          >
          > I've never heard of this being a period practice. I was under the
          > impression that cleaning tassles were not used until sometime in the
          > 1800's. Does anyone have any literature on it?
          >
          > Taillear

          I do not remember Ascham saying any thing about tassels and that is
          late period, but I may just not be remembering correctly. Anyone have
          their copy of Aschem handy?

          Jon
        • SwayzeK
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 2, 2000
            On Sep 30, 9:16pm, bloodsng@... wrote:
            > In a message dated 09/30/2000 7:51:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
            > archer3@... writes:
            >
            > << In addition to the colors for the rankings already stated, the knot
            > should be white for youth; adults blue for open div. or yellow for
            > period div. No color distinction for either crossbow or handbow.
            > >>
            > what do they have for their combat archers

            We don't have a ranking system for the combat archers. Combat archery is under
            the control of the Earl and Knight Marshals.

            Ailinn Shadowfox