Re: [SCA-Archery] Digest Number 399

  • longbow@sgi.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2000

      > From: "Jaime Bain" <fruitfly_83@...>
      > Subject: tassels?
      >
      > Greetings all! I've been a lurker here for awhile now, and I finally have a
      > question that I hope can be answered by someone on this list. A friend of
      > mine recently earned her novice rank, and I wanted to make her a white
      > tassel as a gift and a token of our friendship. Does anyone know the
      > specifications for correct SCA tassels? I live in the Outlands, if that
      > matters at all.
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      > Julianna Alianore de Vitre

      The Kingdom of AEthelmearc uses a Red and White tassel to indicate the recipient
      of the "Scarlet Guard" High Order of Merit for Archers. And the Kingdom of
      Artemisia is looking at using tassels for various awards for archers as well.

      THL Gwilym
    • K. Zerkle
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2000
        Greetings from AEthelmearc...I have been a combat archer for almost a year.
        It is almost impossible to shoot at competitions because at events they are
        held during the battles.Our Barony has yet to have a royal rounds shoot this
        year that I know of. How do heavy combat archers get recognized? At most
        battles we command our group and assist as any other heavy weapon fighters
        would; also switching fighting forms at times. In AEthelmearc do you have to
        shoot on the royal rounds to get noticed? Competition crossbow instead of
        heavy combat crossbow on the field of battle? Just curious? I have both
        types of crossbows and want to shoot both styles.
        In Service,
        Kymburlyn

        > > From: "Jaime Bain" <fruitfly_83@...>
        > > Subject: tassels?
        > >
        > > Greetings all! I've been a lurker here for awhile now, and I finally
        have a
        > > question that I hope can be answered by someone on this list. A friend
        of
        > > mine recently earned her novice rank, and I wanted to make her a white
        > > tassel as a gift and a token of our friendship. Does anyone know the
        > > specifications for correct SCA tassels? I live in the Outlands, if that
        > > matters at all.
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance,
        > > Julianna Alianore de Vitre
        >
        > The Kingdom of AEthelmearc uses a Red and White tassel to indicate the
        recipient
        > of the "Scarlet Guard" High Order of Merit for Archers. And the Kingdom of
        > Artemisia is looking at using tassels for various awards for archers as
        well.

        > THL Gwilym
        >

        > Get medieval at Mad Macsen's
        > http://www.MedievalMart.com/

      • Jeff Elder
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2000
          One thing as a combat archer you are authorized to get out there and
          shoot people. And there is no real scoring system other than bruises
          and tales for the circle that evening. To rank combat archers would
          be like ranking heavies for the amount of authorizations they have.
          Combat has no definite scores, unlike terget archery which does have
          a measurable acheivement. This also leads to why some archers
          dislike the royal round. It is not truly a measure of an archers
          skill, nor is it like any other martial form in the way it is awarded
          and scored. Although Royal round scores technically are for a year
          you get to wear the insignia of your ranking, granted, each kingdm is
          different in variaous respects.

          Simon Hondy
          MKA Jeff Elder

        • Brad Boda d'Aylward
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 2, 2000
            >Greetings from AEthelmearc...I have been a combat archer for almost a year.
            >It is almost impossible to shoot at competitions because at events they are
            >held during the battles.Our Barony has yet to have a royal rounds shoot
            this
            >year that I know of. How do heavy combat archers get recognized? At most
            >battles we command our group and assist as any other heavy weapon fighters
            >would; also switching fighting forms at times. In AEthelmearc do you have
            >shoot on the royal rounds to get noticed? Competition crossbow instead of
            >heavy combat crossbow on the field of battle? Just curious? I have both
            >types of crossbows and want to shoot both styles.
            >In Service,
            >Kymburlyn

            xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

            >> The Kingdom of AEthelmearc uses a Red and White tassel to indicate the
            >recipient
            >> of the "Scarlet Guard" High Order of Merit for Archers. And the Kingdom
            of
            >> Artemisia is looking at using tassels for various awards for archers as
            >well.
            >>
            >> THL Gwilym

            The best time to shoot the RR is during the local archery practices. Many
            times I have to decide which I really want to do at an event. Most of the
            time it depends on the event as to whether I'll be fighting or shooting.

            Combat Archery is recognized as any other weapons for in AEthelmearc.
            Recognition will probably not come for only one weapons form but for a
            proficiency in a varied selection of weapons. Shooting RR and fighting
            Archery are apples and oranges; two different animals all together. Good CA,
            in my opinion, could only get better with Royal Rounds and Roving range
            practice. This means a familiarity with the weapon which then can be carried
            onto the battle field. The two are tied together in experience but not in
            kingdom recognition.

            The Scarlet Guard is recognition for the advancement of target archery.
            Heavy weapons awards are separate.

            (The question of which Barony in AE wherein you can't find the local archery
            practice I will address in a private post)

            Lord Brad Boda d'Aylward (AoA, OGA)
            AEthelmearc Combat Archery Commander
            Regional Lt. Gen. Archery Marshall

            Good friends see through the act and still appreciate the performance.
            Unknown