Re: [SCA-Archery] tassels?

  • archer3@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 1, 2000
      There is no tassel system in the Outlands that applies specifically to
      combat archery. The majority of the combat archers are also target
      archers and establish their rankings on the target range. I, for one, do
      not wear my tassel when in armor.

      Damian >>~~~>
      Visit the Outlands Archery page at
      http://members.iex.net/~norseman/outlands/archgen.html
    • James W. Pratt Jr.
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 1, 2000
        Greetings Julianna

        My Lady made one for me as a token it is of handspun unwashed (nice shade of
        brown) wool. The bushy part of the tassel is about six inches long and
        makes a nice handfull when you grab it. I use it every time I shoot the
        clout for taking the dirt of the arrow points. It works great... the
        lanolin(sp) helps to keep rust off the points... the brown color keeps the
        dirt and rust from showing. The current English Longbow Society (Hardey"s
        long bow book) still uses them.

        James Cunnigham
        MIddle Kingdom

      • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 1, 2000
          I also carry a tassle off of my quiver to wipe off arrows after they
          have been shot in the field. The one that I carry is black,which has no
          meaning of rank. In the British longbow Society the colors have specific
          meanings. The tassles are awarded at the end of a shoot. Gold is given
          to the archer that has hit the gold the most times in a round. White is
          given to the archer that has hit the petticoat of the target the most
          times(the outer white ring) and Green is given to the archer that has
          hit the grass the most times( no one wants the green one). I have won
          the gold tassle, but I don't carry it as it is wy too elegant looking
          for a sruffy woodsman like myself. I don't know what the colors mean in
          different kingdoms in our society(in the East we give badges), but if
          you are going to participate in mundane shooting, I thought you may want
          to know how the different colors are perceived. An earlier archer stated
          that he or she thought that the tassle dated from the 1800's,-possibly
          but I seem to recall seeing reference to it going back into the 1700's,
          in any case, I don't believe it is period to SCA. Nevertheless, tassles
          are a useful and attractive tool for the field archer, and the tassle as
          a decorative item goes back to ancient times.
          Respectfully submitted,
          Geoffrei St. Albans of Eastwood

        • John Edgerton
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 1, 2000
            greytaylor@... wrote:

            > --- In SCA-Archery@egroups.com, "Greg Christensen" <gcjckc@h...>
            > wrote:
            > > Direct from the Outland Archery web page.....
            > >
            > > In period times, English archers wore a tassel on their belts to
            > wipe their
            > > arrows clean.
            >
            > I've never heard of this being a period practice. I was under the
            > impression that cleaning tassles were not used until sometime in the
            > 1800's. Does anyone have any literature on it?
            >
            > Taillear

            I do not remember Ascham saying any thing about tassels and that is
            late period, but I may just not be remembering correctly. Anyone have
            their copy of Aschem handy?

            Jon
          • SwayzeK
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 2, 2000
              On Sep 30, 9:16pm, bloodsng@... wrote:
              > In a message dated 09/30/2000 7:51:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
              > archer3@... writes:
              >
              > << In addition to the colors for the rankings already stated, the knot
              > should be white for youth; adults blue for open div. or yellow for
              > period div. No color distinction for either crossbow or handbow.
              > >>
              > what do they have for their combat archers

              We don't have a ranking system for the combat archers. Combat archery is under
              the control of the Earl and Knight Marshals.

              Ailinn Shadowfox