[SCA-Archery] tassels?

  • Jaime Bain
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 29, 2000
      Greetings all! I've been a lurker here for awhile now, and I finally have a
      question that I hope can be answered by someone on this list. A friend of
      mine recently earned her novice rank, and I wanted to make her a white
      tassel as a gift and a token of our friendship. Does anyone know the
      specifications for correct SCA tassels? I live in the Outlands, if that
      matters at all.

      Thanks in advance,
      Julianna Alianore de Vitre

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • Bob & Nancy Upson
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 30, 2000
        > Greetings all! I've been a lurker here for awhile now, and I finally
        > have a question that I hope can be answered by someone on this list.
        > A friend of mine recently earned her novice rank, and I wanted to make
        > her a white tassel as a gift and a token of our friendship. Does
        > anyone know the specifications for correct SCA tassels? I live in the
        > Outlands, if that matters at all.

        There are none.

        (If there's some sort of Outlands "tassal" system for identifying
        ranks of some sort, it's a local thing subject to local practices. But
        there's no "official" tassal of any kind in the SCA per se that I'm
        aware of.)

        Macsen
      • Hernandez
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 30, 2000
          > Does anyone know the
          > specifications for correct SCA tassels? I live in the Outlands, if that
          > matters at all.

          As far as I know, there is no standard to display rankings. The Outlands is
          the only place that does tassels for ranking.

          G�cauo
        • Greg Christensen
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 30, 2000
            Direct from the Outland Archery web page.....

            1.7. Outlands Archer Recognition

            1.7.1 Outlands Kingdom Archer Ranking System
            Archers of the Outlands are ranked on target archery skill. We measure the
            archer's skill by the average of their best three Royal Round scores shot
            within a calendar year. Once a ranking is earned an archer holds it for
            future seasons.

            In period times, English archers wore a tassel on their belts to wipe their
            arrows clean. The Outlands is using a 12 inch overall tassel as the symbol
            to identify the skill of an archer. Archers who are ranked Bowman and up are
            considered "Authorized Archers", much the same as an authorized fighter or
            fencer. Yeoman and above are "Kingdom Ranked". In period times this meant
            they possessed the archery skills to support their Kingdom in time of war.
            They wear this tassel to show their ranking. Different colors of the tassel
            and its head binding knot show the archer's rank as described below. Levels
            of Recognition are:

            Novice (White Tassel) -- Royal Round scores average from 1-24. Demonstrate a
            basic knowledge of archery safety practices, and of the rules of the target
            archery line. Should be closely supervised at group archery practices, and
            may often not be allowed to compete at Kingdom archery tournaments because
            of the need for close supervision.

            Bowman (Black Tassel) -- Royal Round scores average from 25-44. In addition
            to Novice requirements, will adhere to normal SCA Archery tackle
            restrictions, show good understanding of target archery range layout and its
            safety zones. Can safety inspect their own equipment, and does not need
            close supervision on the archery line. Eligible to shoot in the Qualifying
            Round for the Royal Archer Tournament. May serve as a line marshal, and
            encouraged to become a MOF.

            To attain the level of "Kingdom Ranking" (Yeoman or above), one of the three
            qualifying scores must be shot at an event or practice outside the archer's
            local group practice. This can be at another group's published practice or
            at an event published in the Outlandish Herald (even in their own group)
            that has planned archery. Kingdom ranked archers may shoot in the Royal
            Archer Tournament without shooting in the Qualifying Round. They are
            expected to shoot at least one IKAC per season, have their own personal SCA
            legal archery equipment, understand basic tuning of archery tackle, and be
            able to instruct newer archers. They are encouraged to become a Marshal of
            the Field.

            There is more at
            http://members.iex.net/~norseman/outlands/archer.html#17

            http://profiles.msn.com
          • archer3@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 30, 2000
              In addition to the colors for the rankings already stated, the knot
              should be white for youth; adults blue for open div. or yellow for
              period div. No color distinction for either crossbow or handbow.

              Damian >>~~~>
              Visit the Outlands Archery page at
              http://members.iex.net/~norseman/outlands/archgen.html
            • bloodsng@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 30, 2000
                In a message dated 09/30/2000 7:51:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
                archer3@... writes:

                << In addition to the colors for the rankings already stated, the knot
                should be white for youth; adults blue for open div. or yellow for
                period div. No color distinction for either crossbow or handbow.

                what do they have for their combat archers
              • greytaylor@worldnet.att.net
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 30, 2000
                  --- In SCA-Archery@egroups.com, "Greg Christensen" <gcjckc@h...>
                  wrote:
                  > Direct from the Outland Archery web page.....
                  >
                  > In period times, English archers wore a tassel on their belts to
                  wipe their
                  > arrows clean.

                  I've never heard of this being a period practice. I was under the
                  impression that cleaning tassles were not used until sometime in the
                  1800's. Does anyone have any literature on it?

                  Taillear
                • archer3@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 1, 2000
                    There is no tassel system in the Outlands that applies specifically to
                    combat archery. The majority of the combat archers are also target
                    archers and establish their rankings on the target range. I, for one, do
                    not wear my tassel when in armor.

                    Damian >>~~~>
                    Visit the Outlands Archery page at
                    http://members.iex.net/~norseman/outlands/archgen.html
                  • James W. Pratt Jr.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 1, 2000
                      Greetings Julianna

                      My Lady made one for me as a token it is of handspun unwashed (nice shade of
                      brown) wool. The bushy part of the tassel is about six inches long and
                      makes a nice handfull when you grab it. I use it every time I shoot the
                      clout for taking the dirt of the arrow points. It works great... the
                      lanolin(sp) helps to keep rust off the points... the brown color keeps the
                      dirt and rust from showing. The current English Longbow Society (Hardey"s
                      long bow book) still uses them.

                      James Cunnigham
                      MIddle Kingdom

                    • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 1, 2000
                        I also carry a tassle off of my quiver to wipe off arrows after they
                        have been shot in the field. The one that I carry is black,which has no
                        meaning of rank. In the British longbow Society the colors have specific
                        meanings. The tassles are awarded at the end of a shoot. Gold is given
                        to the archer that has hit the gold the most times in a round. White is
                        given to the archer that has hit the petticoat of the target the most
                        times(the outer white ring) and Green is given to the archer that has
                        hit the grass the most times( no one wants the green one). I have won
                        the gold tassle, but I don't carry it as it is wy too elegant looking
                        for a sruffy woodsman like myself. I don't know what the colors mean in
                        different kingdoms in our society(in the East we give badges), but if
                        you are going to participate in mundane shooting, I thought you may want
                        to know how the different colors are perceived. An earlier archer stated
                        that he or she thought that the tassle dated from the 1800's,-possibly
                        but I seem to recall seeing reference to it going back into the 1700's,
                        in any case, I don't believe it is period to SCA. Nevertheless, tassles
                        are a useful and attractive tool for the field archer, and the tassle as
                        a decorative item goes back to ancient times.
                        Respectfully submitted,
                        Geoffrei St. Albans of Eastwood

                      • John Edgerton
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 1, 2000
                          greytaylor@... wrote:

                          > --- In SCA-Archery@egroups.com, "Greg Christensen" <gcjckc@h...>
                          > wrote:
                          > > Direct from the Outland Archery web page.....
                          > >
                          > > In period times, English archers wore a tassel on their belts to
                          > wipe their
                          > > arrows clean.
                          >
                          > I've never heard of this being a period practice. I was under the
                          > impression that cleaning tassles were not used until sometime in the
                          > 1800's. Does anyone have any literature on it?
                          >
                          > Taillear

                          I do not remember Ascham saying any thing about tassels and that is
                          late period, but I may just not be remembering correctly. Anyone have
                          their copy of Aschem handy?

                          Jon
                        • SwayzeK
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 2, 2000
                            On Sep 30, 9:16pm, bloodsng@... wrote:
                            > In a message dated 09/30/2000 7:51:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
                            > archer3@... writes:
                            >
                            > << In addition to the colors for the rankings already stated, the knot
                            > should be white for youth; adults blue for open div. or yellow for
                            > period div. No color distinction for either crossbow or handbow.
                            > >>
                            > what do they have for their combat archers

                            We don't have a ranking system for the combat archers. Combat archery is under
                            the control of the Earl and Knight Marshals.

                            Ailinn Shadowfox