swallowtail arrowheads

  • richard johnson
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 25, 2014
      BTW, IF I am being misunderstood, please allow me to qualify.

      I am NOT suiggesting that we use such warpoints at a SCA war nor at any archery event.
      What I AM suggesting is that we wear a sword, never intending to use that weapon, simply becuase it adds to our Garb.
      Same with these arrowheads.
      IF an archer wishes to appear more Period, then he can chuck the fiberglass recurve and purchase any of the 'more-period'  hickory longbows being made out there.  He can also, to look more authentic, carry arrowheads that are more period so chuck the aluminum or carbon shafts with plastic vanes and buy or make wood shafts with real fletching and a selection of 'period' style heads.

      nothing more than to move closer to an authentic look.

      --
      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 25, 2014
          Wow! that arrowheads look great! Are they replicas? I havent read his site or methodology, but they look amazing! If some people got together it could be worth a bulk order. Id love to get a few so I could try my hand at forging some myself!

          YIS respectfully,
          Lord Cameron de Grey
          Or, on a bend purpure between a wheel of cheese and a squirrel sable, three pheons palewise Or

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 25, 2014
              I picked up a set of arrows from Jaap at Yumi Bows with various real tips.
              The idea is the same as I wanted authentic arrows for display at demos as
              well as having a fully accurate kit. I wanted at least one full getup as
              authentic as possible. That means I have things like a realistic looking
              rattan shield which, note I said "looking", is not suitable for SCA combat.
              But some of the gear is fully functional. My composite bow is from Mongolia
              and is the primary bow I use at all shoots with the only Americanism on it
              is the string. These arrows (the set from Yumi Bows) are fully functional
              and we occasionally try them out at practice on some target we don't mind
              destroying. The crescent moon arrowhead (which I'm guessing is similar to
              the "swallowtail" you refer to) blew a hole through styrofoam like a hollow
              nosed bullet: wider in the back than its width at point(s) of contact. They
              cost a pretty penny, but I specifically requested everything about them to
              be authentic: nochs, feathers, sinew wraps, as well as the tips.

              Puppy