Pennsic Period Shoot

  • houseofgrey
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 17, 2014

      The 1st Annual Pennsic Period Shoot will be held on the Archery Range immediately following the Champion's Shoot, on Wednesday August 6 of War Week approximately 3 pm. The Inaugural PPS was held last year with six archers attending. The Rules of this shoot require period style bows and follow below.

      Period Handbow - This category is designed to hold handbows of period construction, made in a period manner, only allowing moderate changes for modern safety. This category therefore holds all bows be they straight or recurved, that meet the following construction guidelines:

      1. The bow shall not have a center cut arrow shelf. Built - up shelves (such as a piece of cork wrapped onto the bow), markings, or narrow notches (no more than an arrow width), are acceptable.

      2. The bow must have a solid core of wood or other period material. It may have a single backing, and/or a belly lamination of any material. However a period handbow should not simply have three thin laminations with the power coming from the laminations. Otherwise the bow must meet the qualifications listed in the following rule.

      3. Alternatively, the bow can be of a style that can be documented to exist in period, whose construction doesn`t meet the qualifications as given above. However, it must be constructed predominately of period materials (small exceptions allowed for safety), and assembled in a period manner in regards to the structure, laminations, shape, etc. This, for example, would include Japanese bows made of multiple bamboo laminations or Mongolian style bows made of multiple laminations of wood and horn. It does not include bows made primarily of modern material, such as a solid fiberglass longbow.

      Arrows must have self, bone or horn nocks. Garb must match archery kit in time period and culture. Prizes will be awarded for best scores in Longbow, Horsebow, Crossbow, and Best Ensemble (Garb/archery kit).

      The shoot will consist of roving clouts, a flight shoot, a Turkish Puta, a Manchu Tunken and wreath targets of different sizes.  The Manchu Tunken is a 5 ring target where the aim is for perfect release and alignment/tuning of  bow/arrow.  The arrow must hit perfectly perpendicular to knock out only the bullseye, without the nock end taking out the other rings.  This target requires blunt arrows.

    • Cameron deGrey

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 17, 2014
            Jon, I believe there was no intent to support crossbows. This was a handbow shoot only

            Janyn

            Bright Hills Knight's Marshal
            Bright Hills Webminister

[...]

          • Joe Klovance
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 17, 2014
              >  Prizes will be awarded for best scores in Longbow, Horsebow, Crossbow, and Best Ensemble (Garb/archery kit).

              There seems to be an award for best crossbow score.

              Gryffyd

              To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 17, 2014
                There ya go!

                To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 17, 2014
                  I did read that there is a award for the best crossbow score. Which is why I asked,  what are the rules for crossbow?

                  Jon

                  There ya go!

                  To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 18, 2014
                    Crossbows are allowed.  Here are the rules:

                    pretty much the norm- no front sights, no split/centershot prods, no modern stocks. there are a few late period documented hunting bows with rudimentary butts,sort of like early arbequeses. AFAIK,(bring documentation to prove different) there are only 3 types of release- peg, roller nut, and clap-latch.