Bow question

  • Kat Pogatshnik
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 26, 2014
      Has anyone used/tried 3riversarchery either their hickory self bow or the medieval war bow english longbow? I had a person inquire about them and I haven't had any experience with them.  They seem to appear to be a decently priced self bow.

       ~Alessandra de Piro
    • richard johnson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 26, 2014
        I've bought archery items, mostly build-a-bow/arrow type stuff and never had any problems with the company or products.
        Never bought their bow so an guessing that they would check quality before they sell them.

        --
        Rick Johnson
        http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 26, 2014
          3rivers has a very good reputation with traditional archers, I doubt they'd risk tarnishing it with poor quality from a vendor. I haven't looked at their self bows (I make my own) but is be shocked if they weren't good quality.

          On Jun 26, 2014, at 12:09 PM, "Kat Pogatshnik k.pogatshnik@... [SCA-Archery]" <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Has anyone used/tried 3riversarchery either their hickory self bow or the medieval war bow english longbow? I had a person inquire about them and I haven't had any experience with them.  They seem to appear to be a decently priced self bow.

           ~Alessandra de Piro

        • David Nolan
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 26, 2014
            Well, if you read the reviews on the "Medieval War Bow English Longbow" they are very mixed. Some people are VERY  happy with it...others think it's crap. This review seemed helpful:

            "I purchased this bow as a training tool and as a lightweight kids/youth bow. In these applications it performs well. It would also be good for SCA/reenactors who want a lightweight longbow. Although this bow is not highly polished it is well made. It has a linen backing. If one does not like the cord wrapped handle it can be easily covered up with a long, narrow piece of cloth or deerhide. There was writing on the back of my bow, near the tips. This bow's tips are as wide as it's handle. There is no shelf on this bow. You have to either wear a glove on your bow hand or trim and wrap the front of the fletchings for arrows to be shot from this bow (unless you want a bunch of little cuts on your bow hand). This bow comes with a well made string which does not have a center serving. If this is a concern a 68" dacron flemish twist longbow string with a center serving can be purchased from this site which will fit this bow. Due to the lack of a shelf, arrows for this bow will have to be lighter in spine. With my 26" draw I am using 30" long arrows spined between 15-19# with quite good accuracy out to 15 yards. This bow is not fast, nor is it designed to be. It is a good lightweight primitive/medieval style longbow."

            The description of the tips and the speed indicates to me that this is built to look like a decent D-shaped longbow, and is likely a quick build...but not built for performance (or periodicity). The shape of actual warbows in the proper weight category have tips that carefully become thinner, removing weight from the limbs and giving a better cast speed, while still supporting the high draw-weights. The material is also red oak...which, at weights past 40, I've had experience chrysalling. Of the two you mentioned, I'd be more comfortable, myself, shooting the hickory bow. It's just a better material.

            From the description it seems like it's a serviceable starter primitive selfbow...but something I'd want to move up from if I were in love with the idea of shooting a selfbow. It's why I make my own. "Selfbow", by all means, does NOT have to equate with "doesn't shoot as well as a modern bow with a shelf." They can be fast, and accurate, and when tillered and chased properly, often don't need a backing.

            YIS,
            Aengus O'Nuallain

            On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 12:17 PM, Crispin Anthwyr crispinanthwyr@... [SCA-Archery] <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            3rivers has a very good reputation with traditional archers, I doubt they'd risk tarnishing it with poor quality from a vendor. I haven't looked at their self bows (I make my own) but is be shocked if they weren't good quality.

            On Jun 26, 2014, at 12:09 PM, "Kat Pogatshnik k.pogatshnik@... [SCA-Archery]" <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            Has anyone used/tried 3riversarchery either their hickory self bow or the medieval war bow english longbow? I had a person inquire about them and I haven't had any experience with them.  They seem to appear to be a decently priced self bow.

             ~Alessandra de Piro

          • David Edwards
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 26, 2014

              Most of their wood self bows are made by Rudder Bows, who do pretty good work. www.rbow.com

              Has anyone used/tried 3riversarchery either their hickory self bow or the medieval war bow english longbow? I had a person inquire about them and I haven't had any experience with them.  They seem to appear to be a decently priced self bow.

               ~Alessandra de Piro

            • Arion the Wanderer
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 26, 2014
                Rudder bows are low end, entry level stickbows that are serviceable.