linen backed longbow

  • richard johnson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 24, 2014
      I was at the post moffice yesterday eve and found a signature card for a "long thin package".  Obviously my Longbow has arrived!  So I signed the card and requested that it be delivered to my house.

      As all my other bows are either fiberglass recurves or flat self-bows, this is my first actual "Longbow" with the "D" cross-section. GIBow.com for $60 gave me a 45# 72" Hickory longbow... unfinished.
      I'll still have to do a staining and minor sanding, wrap the handle but then, that's the fun of the thing!  To personalize your bow.  Actually I bought two, one for my daughter<g>.

      Although the bow can be shot from the box, it is the personalizing that I enjoy, I just cannot leave anything alone.
      So here are the cosmetic additions, and I recognize that they are cosmetic here.

      I am seeking cow horns to make tips (which are difficult to find even in Arizona).  I may have to actually splurge and buy ready-made tips though I'd prefer to cut and shape my own from a raw horn.  Plus the remaining horn can be made into a case to hold my extra string, wax and a few extras.
      Why tips?  Yew is soft and the strings tend to act as a saw, chewing away at the tips until they  snap.  A sacrificial horn-tip will prolong the life of the bow.  Hickory bows are much harder and modern strings cause less abrasion so the tips are decorative.

      Linen backings are mainly to prevent splinters from popping out of the back of the bow.  Again, with straight-grained Hickory, this is not necessary but cosmetic.  It gives a more 'traditional' look to the bow.

      So, question is, anyone have experience or advice or gut thoughts here?
      I've never tipped or backed a bow so am totally a student in these areas.

      --
      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 24, 2014

              Scroll down the left side and click on horns.

              Edward Harbinger

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 24, 2014
                Iss now.
                unmatcfhed horns from the Phillippenes.  canot eb certain if they are solid enough for a bow tip or not as they recommend that they be filled with manure and buried.
                Thank you for trying but with American or European Cattle, I will, at least know what I am getting.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 24, 2014
                  Aren't elephant ivory and walrus tusk illegal? I know they were some years ago.

                  Eoin

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 24, 2014
                    the laws change and are changing again.
                    A few years ago, a Russian friend of mine made $500,000 importing fossil mammoth ivory.
                    he bought his green card from INS by showing them his bank account.
                    then the laws changed and the US shut down imports of fossil ivory and he was deported as 'unemployed'.  The US confiscated his bank account even though it had been earned by legal means.

                    maybe 20 years ago the laws changed and the govt started kicking down doors of legal hunters and confiscating their trophy's at gun-point.  A bunch of hunters in Az built the "dead animal museum" (not a real name) in Tucson, donated their trophys to prevent said assaults by the police and to save their trophys from being destroyed by the government.

                    So, yes, today you can own a deer's head trophy that you hunted with a longbow, tomorrow, ATF will arrest you for possession.  Laws change daily in the US.

                    That is why they invented lawyers.