defining Archery

  • otlcp
    Message 1 of 34 , Mar 21, 2014
      I was wondering how many people practicing archery in the SCA consider it a combat related activity? To me only combat archery would be defined in this as the type of archery actually practiced is a non combatant activity.
    • Carolus
      Message 34 of 34 , Mar 26, 2014
        Thanks,
        Carolus
        On 3/25/2014 12:05 PM, John Edgerton wrote:

        Venice for which I have a quote. And Genoa, for which I can not find a quote at this time.

        Jon

        In 1301 the government instructed that each galley carry 30 such crossbowmen, who would also row on the inner benches.  Shooting practice was compulsory in Venice, citizens training at the butts in groups of 12.  They also competed in three annual competitions where the government offered rich prizes: … One group of crossbow men known as the “noble bowmen” were recruited from the aristocracy and served aboard both war galleys and armed merchantmen from the late 14th century onwards, having the privilege of living in the captain’s cabin. Such service could also be the first step in a military or political career. [i]

        [i]   David Nicolle, et al. The Venetian Empire 1200-1670.  Osprey Publishing, 1989. Page 7