i give up

  • richard johnson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 17, 2014

      I tried to post this via yahoo-groups and their new set-up makes it almost impossible to work...
      Thus I cannot attach this to the original thread...

      A while ago I described purchasing some shafts and target-heads from China via Ali-Express.
      I made 6 arrows with these materials and 6 with shafts and heads from Saggittarius Archery.  All arrows had Sag feathers.  All were made exactly the same, the only difference was the wood of the shaft and the head design (to keep them seperate and easily identifiable).

      I spent some time on the range with my new Carriage Bow and initially, was all over the target.
      I attributed this to using a new untried bow and as I got used to the new bow and it warmed up, my grouping improved considerably.
      I had put all 12 arrows in the same quiver and pulled and released them at random.  so I could be shooting all 6 of a kind in a group or alternate American & Chinese shafts, depending entirely on the luck-of-the-draw.
      Each arrow had a self-nock I had cut and none split or broke.  I do not think I shall be adding horn nock-strengthers.
      I also drilled a hole and pinned the heads to the shaft with a small brad to prevent loosing the head if the glue failed!

      Here is the final review!
      I DID take notice of the shafts as i pulled them from the target and honestly, both types shot equally well.

      Note: if you order 11/32" from Asia, they send you 8.5mm which is supposed to be the same.
      11/32 = 8.73 mm!  be aware of that.

      Still that indonesian wood the Chinese sell you performs the same as Cedar to my non-expert experience.
      Please feel free to design your own scientific tests.  I can design a lonbow jig that will produce a constant release if you wish.

      That said, I considered the price and the increasing scarcity of American cedar and contacted the original company to buy more shafts and heads.
      AAARRRGGGHHH!
      They no longer sell the shafts and heads seperatly.  I can purchase ready-made arrows at a cost comparable to American arrows but no longer the parts.
      And, as always, the Chinese company does NOT respond to questions or emails.

      Let this be a lesson about a good deal.
      They generally don;t last and by the time you realize that that deal was really good, it is too late to duplicate it.

      I amso glad I bought 300 feathers and 3 dozen heads from Saggittarius!  when tye stop, I will have a surplus.

      --
      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 17, 2014
        "I amso glad I bought 300 feathers and 3 dozen heads from
        Saggittarius! when tye stop, I will have a surplus."

        This sounds as if you expect Sagittarius Archery to be closing their
        doors at any moment.
        The company has been in business for a number of years and to the best
        of my knowledge, Ruth has no intention of quitting.

        Taillear

        On 1/17/14, richard johnson <rikjohnson39@...> wrote:
        > I tried to post this via yahoo-groups and their new set-up makes it almost
        > impossible to work...
        > Thus I cannot attach this to the original thread...
        >

        > A while ago I described purchasing some shafts and target-heads from China
        > via Ali-Express.
        > I made 6 arrows with these materials and 6 with shafts and heads from
        > Saggittarius Archery. All arrows had Sag feathers. All were made exactly
        > the same, the only difference was the wood of the shaft and the head design
        > (to keep them seperate and easily identifiable).
        >
        > I spent some time on the range with my new Carriage Bow and initially, was
        > all over the target.
        > I attributed this to using a new untried bow and as I got used to the new
        > bow and it warmed up, my grouping improved considerably.
        > I had put all 12 arrows in the same quiver and pulled and released them at
        > random. so I could be shooting all 6 of a kind in a group or alternate
        > American & Chinese shafts, depending entirely on the luck-of-the-draw.
        > Each arrow had a self-nock I had cut and none split or broke. I do not
        > think I shall be adding horn nock-strengthers.
        > I also drilled a hole and pinned the heads to the shaft with a small brad
        > to prevent loosing the head if the glue failed!
        >
        > Here is the final review!
        > I DID take notice of the shafts as i pulled them from the target and
        > honestly, both types shot equally well.
        >
        > Note: if you order 11/32" from Asia, they send you 8.5mm which is supposed
        > to be the same.
        > 11/32 = 8.73 mm! be aware of that.
        >
        > Still that indonesian wood the Chinese sell you performs the same as Cedar
        > to my non-expert experience.
        > Please feel free to design your own scientific tests. I can design a
        > lonbow jig that will produce a constant release if you wish.
        >
        > That said, I considered the price and the increasing scarcity of American
        > cedar and contacted the original company to buy more shafts and heads.
        > AAARRRGGGHHH!
        > They no longer sell the shafts and heads seperatly. I can purchase
        > ready-made arrows at a cost comparable to American arrows but no longer the
        > parts.
        > And, as always, the Chinese company does NOT respond to questions or
        > emails.
        >
        > Let this be a lesson about a good deal.
        > They generally don;t last and by the time you realize that that deal was
        > really good, it is too late to duplicate it.
        >
        > I amso glad I bought 300 feathers and 3 dozen heads from Saggittarius!
        > when tye stop, I will have a surplus.
        >

        > --
        > Rick Johnson
        > http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

        The Greenman Archery <http://www.greenmanarchery.com/index.html> Website
        Fine custom wood arrows for traditional archers.
      • richard johnson
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 17, 2014
          I certaintly hope that you are correct.
          I got quality materials and good service at a good price from them.