atlatls in the sca

  • houseofgrey
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 2013
      The Canadian kingdom, forgot the name, used to run the atlatl battle at Pennsic. Now Atlantia does. However, the Canadian kingdom had a set of rules and had incorporated atlatl into their kingdom. Atlantia has incorporated atlatl into the archery marshalette. As for space requirements, atlatl does not need as much room as target archery does. One can only throw an atlatl dart about 80 yards max whereas a 30 pound bow set up right can throw an arrow over 135 yards. An atlatl battle does require more width to the range than an archery range though due to the nature of the battle. However, we host atlatl battles frequently in Atlantia with no issues. The only issue we ever face is Oog in his loin cloth! =:-o (Those that have seen this spectacle...........well enough said!)

      The justification for atlatl in the SCA time frame, per the Canadians, is that Cortez ran into the weapon in the new world where the natives used it to kill some of his men. He took the atlatl back with him. I have no clue as to the accuracy of this but it "could" have happened. :-)

      As for pictures on the internet, there are tons. Thunderbird Atlatl is a vendor at Pennsic and would be happy to answer most any question regarding them. There is also a US nation wide group/club for atlatl, however they tend to use metal shafted darts instead of wooden ones.

      cog
    • Susan Carroll-Clark
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 28, 2013
        Greetings!

        On 28/12/2013 11:54 AM, cogworks@... wrote:
        > The Canadian kingdom, forgot the name, used to run the atlatl battle at Pennsic. Now Atlantia does. However, the Canadian kingdom had a set of rules and had incorporated atlatl into their kingdom.

        That was Ealdormere. We do have a very basic set of atlatl rules and
        people are welcome to throw on the archery range. I have an atlatl
        myself. It's fallen by the wayside a bit in recent years, as we lost
        one of its most enthusiastic proponents, Mistress Etaoin, to cancer a
        few years back.

        Nicolaa
        DEM Archery, Ealdormere
      • Jim Pickette
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 28, 2013
          Did Ealdormere leave any files to share?

          JoO, Fidelibus

          ---- Susan Carroll-Clark <nicolaa.de.bracton@...> wrote:
          > Greetings!
          >
          > On 28/12/2013 11:54 AM, cogworks@... wrote:
          > > The Canadian kingdom, forgot the name, used to run the atlatl battle at Pennsic. Now Atlantia does. However, the Canadian kingdom had a set of rules and had incorporated atlatl into their kingdom.
          >
          > That was Ealdormere. We do have a very basic set of atlatl rules and
          > people are welcome to throw on the archery range. I have an atlatl
          > myself. It's fallen by the wayside a bit in recent years, as we lost
          > one of its most enthusiastic proponents, Mistress Etaoin, to cancer a
          > few years back.
          >
          > Nicolaa
          > DEM Archery, Ealdormere
        • Cameron deGrey
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 30, 2013
            Seek ye also Lord Allen of Wolfhou. He has been running (very successfully) AtlAtl tournaments and battles. Both at Pennsic and locally in Stierbach. Contact their excellencies of Stierbach.

            YIS respectfully,
            Lord Cameron de Grey
            Or, on a bend purpure between a wheel of cheese and a squirrel sable, three pheons palewise Or